The Best Easy Cucumber Salad. Great Flavors and always a hit! Very refreshing taste and crunch with a sweet and sour pickle juice.
I often make up a batch and keep in the fridge, in a container with the vinegar. I love these in ham and cheese sandwiches. So for my lunch, I'll often make up a sandwich and pop a covering of these thinly sliced cucumbers in between. Oh my! The taste and the lovely crisp crunch you get from the cucumbers is lovely and a great combination in a sandwich!
For this easy cucumber salad recipe, the trick is to make sure it has time in the fridge for the vinegar to work its magic and infuse into the cucumbers. Make sure you do the salted part at the beginning to draw out as much of the cucumber liquid as possible. Then you will be able to get that lovely crisp crunch!
It's an easy recipe and the taste is sweet and sour from the vinegar and sugar, so you get a 'pickled' flavor.
You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate until you're ready to serve. Take to a BBQ (keep it chilled and in the liquid until ready to serve), or a potluck, party, serve as one of your sides if you're doing a buffet, such as at Thanksgiving, or a wedding buffet, etc.
So let's get straight to the recipe and see just how easy it is to make this delicious cucumber salad. Please enjoy!
Recipe by Bonnie Price
4 cucumbers/dills thinly sliced (use a mandolin for perfect slices)
1 red or white Onion-thinly sliced (optional)
1 cup / 240 ml white vinegar
½ cup / 120 ml water
¾ cup / 150 g white sugar
1. Place the cucumbers in a colander after slicing and sprinkle with salt and let them drain. Flip the colander once in a while and continue to let drain for at least an hour. Then rinse with cold water, and drain.
Transfer to paper towel and pat dry, then put in a container with a lid, together with the onions.
2. Mix together the vinegar, water, and sugar in a pan and bring to a slow boil. Then allow to simmer until clear. Remove from heat and cool.
3. After this mixture is COMPLETELY cool pour over the cucumbers and onions and pop in the fridge.
TIP: This is the BEST done the day before serving.....if serving the same day-do this salad early in the day and allow to marinate.
- 4 slices cucumbers / dills thinly sliced, use a mandolin for perfect
- 1 red or white onion-thinly sliced, optional
- 1 cup or 240 ml white vinegar
- ½ cup or 120 ml water
- ¾ cup or 150 g white sugar
- sea salt
- Place the cucumbers in a colander after slicing and sprinkle with salt and let them drain. Flip the colander once in a while and continue to let drain for at least an hour. Then rinse with cold water, and drain.
- Transfer to paper towel and pat dry, then put in a container with a lid, together with the onions.
- Mix together the vinegar, water and sugar in a pan and bring to a slow boil. Then allow to simmer until clear. Remove from heat and cool.
- After this mixture is COMPLETELY cool pour over the cucumbers and onions and pop in fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 0g