Best Ever Pico De Gallo, Salsa Fresca, a delicious Mexican salsa, quick and easy to make with refreshing flavors of lime, jalapenos, tomatoes, and cilantro. Absolutely delicious!
Best Ever Pico De Gallo, Salsa Fresca! Oh boy! This is an absolutely delicious side dish.
So what is Pico De Gallo?
It's a Mexican salsa and comprises mainly of tomatoes, onion, serrano, jalapeno or habaneros peppers, cilantro, lime, and salt. That's basically it!
When all these lovely ingredients are mixed together and left to infuse for a couple of hours in the fridge, the flavor is out of this world!
Pico de gallo is popular around Cinco De Mayo time when there are huge celebrations and street parties.
However, you can certainly eat this any time, serve with tacos, fajitas, alongside a BBQ, or a buffet. If you're planning a BBQ, then why not stick to the Mexican theme and make up your own Carne Asada marinade for your beef or tofu!
People can help themselves and it's a very budget-friendly and fuss-free recipe to prepare.
This is also a great recipe to serve for Thanksgiving or New Year if you're having a party.
Can I make Pico De Gallo ahead?
You can make ahead the night before and keep refrigerated. Simply give it a stir and put it into a nice serving bowl when you're ready to serve.
For this particular recipe, I've also added some cucumber.
This gives the pico de gallo a lovely bite and added refreshing flavor.
What ingredients are used in Pico De Gallo?
In some regions of Mexico, avocado, orange, jicama which is a yam bean, Mexican turnip, or Mexican potato, or papaya are also added.
As far as the ingredients go, you do need to try to use the best and freshest ingredients so you get the full flavor and sweetness, for example, try and choose for the lovely vine or plum tomatoes.
I like using the baby plum tomatoes. they're a deep red in color and so sweet and juicy!
The baby tomatoes take a bit more time to dice, but hey! It's only a couple of minutes more and the flavor difference is well worth the extra effort!
For the onion, you can use a yellow or red onion. I use the red variety so you get a lovely pop of color, and also I find the red onions a little sweeter and not as harsh tasting.
When you make this pico de gallo, you need to taste as you make it so you get the flavor to your liking.
Once it's been refrigerated for a while, have another taste because the flavors do meld and you might find you need a little more salt or lime juice.
When I serve this, I tend to serve with some mini tortilla wraps and bite-size pieces of chicken or pork. People can help themselves and just enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: Nil
Serves: 2-4 persons
1 Red Onion
2 -3 regular sized Tomatoes
1 large bunch of fresh cilantro, coriander
Juice of 1 lime
2-3 Jalapeno Peppers (pickled)
***If using fresh peppers, you may want to remove the seeds if you don't want too much heat
****The quantities above are approximate. Feel free to add more or less of any of the above to suit your liking.
1. Finely chop the onion and add to a mixing bowl.
Finely chop the tomato and add to a mixing bowl.
2. Chop the cucumber and peppers, add to the same mixing bowl.
3. Take the lime and roll on the work surface to soften it. This will help when you squeeze the juice!
4. Cut the lime into half and squeeze as much juice into the mixing bowl.
5. Finely chop the cilantro, add to the bowl.
6. Take a spoon and stir everything together well and then add a sprinkling of salt, taste, and repeat until the flavor is to your liking.
7. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Before serving, stir the ingredients once more and have a little taste to make sure the flavor is too your liking. You may need to add a little more salt or lime juice, depending on your taste
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 -3 regular sized Tomatoes
- 1 large bunch of fresh cilantro, coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ Cucumber
- 2-3 Jalapeno Peppers, pickled
- ***If using fresh peppers, you may want to remove the seeds if you don't want too much heat
- Finely chop the onion and tomato and add to a mixing bowl.
- 2.Chop the cucumber and peppers, add to the same mixing bowl.
- Take the lime and roll on the work surface to soften it. This will help when you squeeze the juice!
- Cut the lime in to half and squeeze as much juice in to the mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the cilantro, add to the bowl.
- Take a spoon and stir everything together well and then add a sprinkling of salt, taste, and repeat until the flavor is to your liking.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Before serving, stir the ingredients once more and have a little taste to make sure the flavor is too your liking. You may need to add a little more salt or lime juice, depending on your taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mezzetta Hot Jalapeno Peppers Deli Sliced 32 fl Oz PK of 2 Kosher Spicy
KooK Double Wall Serving Bowl - 11 Inch Hammered Style - Stainless Steel (Soup, Cooked Food, Salads, Fruit)
Large Stoneware Salad Serving Bowl, 78oz/11inch Embossed Multicolor Mexican Floral Design, with 2 Bamboo Salad Hands
Top Rated Zulay Premium Quality Metal Lemon Lime Squeezer - Manual Citrus Press Juicer