Sesame Shrimp or Prawn Toasts. These are a very popular little Asian appetizer, great for parties, or to have as a side with a nice soup. Easy recipe and budget friendly too!
Sesame Shrimp or Prawn Toasts. Oh boy! These are such a delicious snack.
Having grown up in Hong Kong and being half Chinese, you would expect I would have come across these delicious Sesame Prawn Toasts at some point in my childhood…but it was only when I lived in England I came across these delights! You see, these aren’t really a Chinese dish. It’s something that’s been adapted in another country to suit the Western taste buds. Nevertheless, they’re delicious!
These little sesame shrimp toasts are available in every Chinese restaurant in the United Kingdom, as well as in every Chinese takeaway, or carry out.
When I first tried them, I fell in love with them instantly. You would have thought they were a Chinese dish, maybe they are, but I have never come across them in my dining experiences in the Far East. There is something similar in Thailand, but not like the ones I have eaten so many times in the UK Chinese restaurants. So I cannot really say these are Chinese, although the flavors are certainly Chinese, and they can be found in every Chinese restaurant in the UK! I guess it’s a Western version of Prawn wonton!
If prawns are expensive where you live, you can make up the mix using half prawns and half minced chicken. That is also very delicious! Served as a side or starter, with some sweet chili sauce, it makes for a very pleasing taste bud tickler!
These sesame shrimp toasts make great party food and served on a platter at a buffet is a great way for everyone to enjoy them alongside a few Asian dipping sauces, such as sweet chili sauce, hoi sin sauce and so on.
We’ve got a few delicious Chinese party food recipes, such as our Chinese Roast Chicken which is served in little pancakes, or our Chinese Wonton, with step by step easy instructions. So be sure to take a look!
I’ll list below a few of our other Chinese recipes which you could make to along with these Sesame Shrimp Toasts. Please do enjoy!
2 Slices of bread, crusts removed.
12 medium size RAW prawns, cleaned, shelled & deveined.
2 Teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons cold water
Enough oil to fill a fry pan to 1/2 inch.
1. In a blender mince the prawns then transfer to a bowl and add all the marinade ingredients except the bread and sesame seeds. Combine everything well.
3. Fill a shallow plate with a few tablespoons of sesame seeds and set aside.
4. Using a teaspoon, scoop approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons of prawn mixture on to each triangle of bread and smooth over using the back of the spoon until the bread is covered on one side. Then place prawn side down in the sesame seeds and push gently so the seeds stick. Turn them back over and place on a plate ready for cooking.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan, and when hot, place the toasts bread side down first. Don’t overcrowd the pan as you need some space to turn the toasts over.
6. When golden brown, turn the toasts over and cook the other side. It should only take 2 or so minutes. If they start to burn, turn the heat down a little. Once they are done, place on kitchen paper to drain.
Serve with some Sweet chili sauce, sweet and sour sauce or some Chicken & Sweetcorn Egg Drop Soup! Delicious!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our Sesame Shrimp or Prawn Toasts recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Chinese Spring Rolls; Great authentic taste and easy to follow instructions. Suggestions for chicken, vegetarian or pork fillings. You choose!
Chinese Garlic Shrimp is a wonderful quick and easy recipe with terrific flavors! Serve as an appetizer, main dish with Jasmine rice or add to a stir-fry.
Authentic Cantonese Sweet and Sour Chicken, come and see how to make it just like in the restaurants! Chinese food at it's best!
Make some delicious Garlic Fried Rice! I make this often, it's quick, easy and of course super tasty!
Yuk Sung, Chinese Lettuce Wraps. Inside each lettuce leaf is a little pile of treasures! A great dish to serve as a starter or at parties
Sticky Sweet Chinese Ribs! Delicious sticky Asian ribs. Great as an appetizer, party food or part of a Chinese Dinner. Very easy to make too!
Beef and Vegetable Lo Mein. A quick and easy Chinese favorite with great flavors
- 2 Slices of bread, crusts removed.
- 12 medium size RAW prawns, cleaned, shelled & deveined.
- 2 Teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Pinch sugar
- Sesame seeds
- inch Enough oil to fill a fry pan to 1/2 .
- In a blender mince the prawns then transfer to a bowl and add all the marinade ingredients except the bread and sesame seeds. Combine everything well.
- Remove crusts from the bread and cut into quarters to make triangles like in the photo.
- Fill a shallow plate with a few tablespoons of sesame seeds and set aside.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons of prawn mixture on to each triangle of bread and smooth over, then place prawn side down in the sesame seeds and push gently so the seeds stick. Turn them back over and place on a plate ready for cooking.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, and when hot, place the toasts bread side down first. Don't over crowd the pan as you need some space to turn the toasts over.
- When golden brown, turn the toasts over and cook the other side. It should only take 2 or so minutes. If they start to burn, turn the heat down a little. Once they are done, place on kitchen paper to drain.
- Serve with some Sweet chili sauce, sweet and sour sauce or some Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup! Delicious!
If you don't want to use prawns, you can use minced chicken, I would suggest 1/2 a medium sized breast. say 200g /8 oz
Anolon Advanced Hard Anodized Nonstick 14-Inch Covered Wok with Combo Stainless Steel & Glass Lid
Hiware 10-Pairs Fiberglass Chopsticks - Reusable Chopsticks Dishwasher Safe, 9 1/2 Inches
28-piece Bone China Blue and White Dinnerware Set Service for 6 Rice Bowl Set Jingdezhen, (blue lotus)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 107 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 148mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 2g