Champinones Al Ajillo, Spanish Garlic Mushrooms is a wonderful Tapas dish, often served as party food. It’s really easy and quick to make too!
Champinones Al Ajillo, Spanish Garlic Mushrooms is a wonderful Tapas dish, often served as party food.
I first came across this dish whilst visiting the Canary Islands and thought it was delicious!
I then went along to a Tapas party my friend hosted and we made it then too. This Champinones Al Ajillo, Spanish Garlic Mushrooms was served alongside a host of other tapas dishes, like you see in the photos, such as bacon-wrapped dates, mojo picante red pepper sauce, chicken wings, and many more dishes. It was absolutely delicious!
This is easy and quick to make and fantastic flavors. Also great as a side dish! This dish is often served as part of a Tapas meal, alongside many other dishes. Enjoy with a glass of Sherry or a cold beer, serve with some warm crusty bread to mop up the juices!
The idea of tapas is the dishes need to be small, bite-size pieces, served in small bowls. Everyone helps themselves to whatever they like. You will often get small forks or toothpicks to eat with, so you do need to make sure you cut the mushrooms into small pieces, say quarter size, so people can pick them up easily with a toothpick or fork.
One of the key ingredients for Champinones al ajillo, or Spanish garlic Mushrooms, is the dry sherry used during cooking. the alcohol is cooked off so it is child-friendly. However, the flavor the sherry adds to the mushrooms is out of this world! It gives the mushrooms a slightly sweet flavor, and together with the garlic, it makes for a wonderful combination.
So let’s get straight to the recipe and see how we make our Champinones Al Ajillo, Spanish Garlic Mushrooms. Please do enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
10 Large Button Mushrooms, quartered
5 Cloves Garlic, minced
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/4 Teaspoon Spanish Paprika
Ground Black Pepper and Sea Salt to season
1/4 – 1/2 Teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional to suit)
1 Tablespoon Fresh, chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Quarter the mushrooms, chop the parsley, crush the garlic.
2. Over a medium heat, add the olive oil and saute the mushrooms for a few minutes. Then add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the parsley. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring. Then remove the pan from heat, add the chopped parsley and stir through.
Serve hot with some crusty bread.
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our Champinones Al Ajillo, Spanish Garlic Mushrooms recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
If you would like to make some delicious Bacon Wrapped Dates as part of your Tapas, Click here to see the recipe. (it’s a very quick and easy one too!)
Another serving suggestion is our lovely Easy Baked Baby Potatoes
Breaded Chicken Skewers. So delicious!
Mojo Picante, Red Pepper Sauce – This is great for dipping your tapas, our drizzling over chicken, fish and pork!
- 10 Large Button Mushrooms, quartered
- 5 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 Teaspoon Spanish Paprika
- Ground Black Pepper and Sea Salt to season
- 1/4 - 1/2 Teaspoon dried chili flakes, optional to suit
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh, chopped flat leaf parsley
- Quarter the mushrooms, chop the parsley, crush the garlic.
- Over a medium heat, add the olive oil and sautee the mushrooms for a few minutes. Then add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the parsley. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring. Then remove pan from heat, add the chopped parsley and stir through. Serve hot with some crusty bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 197mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 1g