Sausage and Red Onion Chutney Rolls are so delicious! Easy to make, freezer-friendly, and great for snacks, lunchboxes, and parties! Who doesn't love a sausage roll?! Today we have a wonderfully easy recipe for you to enjoy and great tasting too!
Of course you would already know that Lovefoodies always tries to make recipes flexible and kid friendly too, so for this recipe, you can also swap the Red Onion Chutney for another of your favorite chutneys, or try adding one of our own Lovefoodies recipes, such as our Spicy Caribbean Pineapple or Mango Chutney, or our festive Christmas Special Cranberry Chutney.
You can also use store-bought chutney, and I have to say, you can really get some wonderful flavor combinations in many delicatessen shops, so feel free to make this recipe however you like!
For the sausage meat, I've used a good quality pork sausage meat from the butchers, however, if you can't get any, another option which works is to buy a pack of your favorite pork or indeed any meat, sausages and simply remove the sausage skin from them and the meat will still be perfect for this recipe.
For these Sausage and Red Onion Chutney rolls, I haven't added any seasonings, such as salt and pepper because the sausagemeat is already seasoned and the chutney also is like a seasoning on its own, so it isn't necessary.
If you're making these for party food, you might want to cut them in to smaller, bite sized pieces, and for a lunch box or snack, perhaps you want bigger pieces.
Whichever you decide, just be aware the cook time will be slightly less if you are making smaller rolls! So keep an eye on them baking and when they turn golden brown, they're done!
If you're wanting to make these quickly and without any fuss, then we suggest you use ready rolled puff pastry sheets, however, you can also make these from scratch using our famous Quick and Easy Flaky Pastry recipe. The quantity in the recipe will be enough for these rolls so you don't need to worry about amounts exacting!
So please enjoy our Sausage and Red Onion Chutney Rolls and do let us know in the comments below if you added any of your favorite chutneys too!
1 lb or 450 g Sausage Meat
2 Sheets Ready Rolled Puff Pastry or Flaky Pastry
10 Tablespoons Red Onion Chutney
You can also use our very own flaky pie crust recipe if you prefer.
1. Preheat oven to 425 F or 220 C
2. Place the pastry on flat surface, so the sheet is in a horizontal position, (the longest side is horizontal).
Then cut in half
3. Divide the sausage meat in to 2 halves. Roll one-half of the sausage meat into a sausage shape so it is the length of the pastry sheet and line it up along the length of the pastry sheet, about ⅔rds down.
4. Spread half of the red onion chutney along the top of the meat and spread evenly.
5. Take the top of the pastry sheet and fold it over to meet the bottom, then take a fork and press down all along the edge to seal the pastry. (I didn't take a photo of this stage but the photo below shows you the same technique, just with a sweet filling! so you get the idea.)
6. Take a sharp knife and cut the roll into 6 - 8 even pieces and transfer on to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
7. Repeat for the second pastry sheet.
8. Brush beaten egg over the sausage rolls and bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
9. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. ** Be careful because the chutney will be extremely hot!!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 1 lb or 450 g Sausage Meat
- 2 Sheets Ready Rolled Puff Pastry or Flaky Pastry
- 10 Tablespoons Red Onion Chutney
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 425 F or 220 C
- Place the pastry on flat surface, so the sheet is in a horizontal position, (the longest side is horizontal).
- Divide the sausage meat in to 2 halves. Roll one half of the sausage meat in to a sausage shape so it is the length of the pastry sheet and line it up along the length of the pastry sheet, about ⅔rds down.
- Spread half of the red onion chutney along the top of the meat and spread evenly.
- Take the top of the pastry sheet and fold it over to meet the bottom, then take a fork and press down all along the edge to seal the pastry.
- Take a sharp knife and cut the roll in to 6 - 8 even pieces and transfer on to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Repeat for the second pastry sheet.
- Brush beaten egg over the sausage rolls and bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. ** Be careful because the chutney will be extremely hot!!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 3
X-Chef Silicone Basting Pastry Brushes for Cooking BBQ Meat Cakes Pastries Butter Kitchen, Heatproof, Dishwasher Safe Flexible Easy Clean, BPA Free and FDA Approved, Set of 4
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Large
Anolon 54717 Advanced Nonstick Bakeware with Grips, Nonstick Cookie Sheet / Baking Sheet - 14 Inch x 16 Inch, Gray
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate