Yorkshire Pudding, a.k.a. popovers are so delicious! Serve as part of a main meal with lots of gravy, or as an appetizer and fill them with goodies. You can also serve these as a dessert, adding some nice fruits or pie filling and ice cream! You decide. They are so yummy! Make in one pan or mini muffins.
Yorkshire Pudding is traditionally served as a side dish in a Roast Dinner, for example, Roast Beef.
In the US, many call this (when made in a muffin pan) popovers, and some will often dust with powdered sugar and eat as a dessert.
However, if you have ever been to Yorkshire in the UK, you would often have this dish with your roast meat, or sausages (called Toad in The Hole), together with Roasted Potatoes, veggies and then topped with onion gravy. It really is quite a meal, very delicious often a real family favorite.
For this Yorkshire pudding recipe, we've added various tips along the way which will ensure your Yorkshire Puddings rise and are light and fluffy. Please do make sure you follow the instructions, and particularly, take note of the text in red as these parts are important to making sure your puddings come out perfect!
So let's get straight to the recipe and see how we make Grandma's Yorkshire Puddings. Please enjoy!
35 - 40 minutes
4 - 6 Persons
What you need
9 x 13 pan (oven proof)
3 beaten eggs
1 ½ cups or 350 ml milk
1 tsp salt
1 ½ cups or 190 g All Purpose / Plain flour
1 stick / 4 oz or 115 g REAL butter
To ensure your pudding rises, please make sure you take note of the tips in RED in the instructions below. If you don't, your pudding may not rise.
1. Set oven to 425 F, Gas 7, 220 C. THE OVEN MUST HAVE REACHED THIS TEMPERATURE BEFORE YOU PUT THE DISH WITH BUTTER IN.
2. Melt butter in 9 x 13 oven proof pan, making sure the butter is turning brown from the heat in the oven. THE BUTTER MUST BE REALLY HOT
3. Mix wet ingredients, then add the other ingredients mixing until smooth. USE AN ELECTRIC HAND MIXER TO GET AS MUCH AIR IN AS POSSIBLE
4. Pour over melted butter and close the oven door immediately.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until well puffed and golden brown.
This mix will also make 12 muffins, follow the same instructions, and cook for 17 - 20 minutes.
This is the Yorkshire pudding I made in a large dish and I simply sliced it in to portions for serving. It was huge! WOWZAAA
TOP TIP : Once the Yorkshire Pudding is in the oven, Do NOT open oven door prior to 35 minutes. Also be sure to leave enough space in the oven for the pudding to rise..because it will!
One of our Supporters, Patty has offered some advice regarding temperature and altitude issues :
To avoid a dense pudding, or not rising, it could very well be due to altitude levels and temp issues... if you have an older range/oven your temp may very well not be reaching the 425* mark even though the oven is telling you it is. You could try raising your temp to 430* or even 450* just keep a watchful eye on it.
In my case I have a brand new range and mine is gas and reaches a bit hotter temp than set at so I have to lower mine to 400* rather than the 425* and sometimes with altitude difference you may need to adjust the recipe which I did and used only 1 ⅓ C flour which lightened it considerably less.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1 ½ cups or 350 ml milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups or 190 g All Purpose / Plain flour
- 1 oz stick / 4 or 115 g REAL butter
- Set oven to 425 F, Gas 7, 220 C. THE OVEN MUST HAVE REACHED THIS TEMPERATURE BEFORE YOU PUT THE DISH WITH BUTTER IN.
- Melt butter in 9 x 13 oven proof pan, making sure the butter is turning brown from the heat in the oven. THE BUTTER MUST BE REALLY HOT
- Mix wet ingredients, then add the other ingredients mixing until smooth. USE AN ELECTRIC HAND MIXER TO GET AS MUCH AIR IN AS POSSIBLE
- Pour over melted butter and close the oven door immediately.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes until well puffed and golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 474mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate