Cowboy Chuck Roast, an easy recipe for tender beef, slow cooked in onions and a rich Mexican mole sauce. Great slow cooker dinner recipe!
Cooking beef is easy, so long as you cook it in the correct way for the type of cut you have.
For this recipe, we've used a beef chuck, which lends itself to slow cooking. As a result, you get tender beef, full of flavor and absolutely delicious!
What is Mexican Mole sauce?
This slow-cooked beef is cooked in a rich Mexican mole sauce, made up of tomatoes, chilis, onions and gravy.
Now don't be alarmed when you see brewed coffee listed in the ingredients. This adds depth and color to the gravy, which tastes amazing. You don't taste any coffee whatsoever. Some of you may have heard the name coffee gravy or red-eye gravy, well this is a mixture of coffee and red-eye.
This delicious recipe has been generously shared by one of our Lovefoodie supporters, Cathy Kopp.
You may be curious how this dinner gets it's name, here's what Cathy says:"The Cowboy Chuck Roast is based on a one pot meal that can be made in a cast iron dutch oven over a fire, from back when the cowboys were rustling cattle on the plains."
Here, Cathy's Cowboy Chuck Roast uses a less expensive cut of beef and turns it into a delicious tender meat, full of great flavour and perfect for dinner! Cathy's shown us how she does this in an easy to follow recipe, so let's see how Cathy makes this wonderful roast.
Recipe by Cathy Kopp.
4 - 6 persons
Ingredients You'll Need
- Boneless Chuck Roast
- Olive/Vegetable Oil
- Onions, quartered
- Garlic cloves, minced.
- Diced tomatoes
- Brewed coffee
- Mole sauce (Mexican)
1. In a large pan (a casserole or Dutch Oven pan), add the oil and brown the beef on all sides. Remove from pan.
2. Add onions and the minced garlic cloves, and soften in same pan.
3. Place the roast on top of onions. Add the diced tomatoes, brewed coffee and mole sauce. Bring to boil and then simmer for two hours. Season to taste.
If using slow cooker, follow steps 1 and 2 then place in slow cooker on LOW for 6 - 8 Hours
- 2-½ Lb Boneless Chuck Roast
- 1 Tablespoon Olive / vegetable Oil
- 2 medium onions quartered
- 3 cloves garlic minced.
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- ½ cup mole sauce
- In a large pan (a casserole or Dutch Oven pan), add the oil and brown the beef on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add onions and the minced garlic cloves, and soften in same pan.
- Place the roast on top of onions. Add the diced tomatoes, brewed coffee and mole sauce. Bring to boil and then simmer for two hours. Season to taste.
- If using slow cooker, follow steps 1 and 2 then place in slow cooker on LOW for 6 - 8 Hours
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ninja Auto-iQ Multi/Slow Cooker with 80-Pre-Programmed Auto-iQ Recipes for Searing, Slow Cooking, Baking and Steaming with 6-Quart Nonstick Pot (CS960)
Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate