Sheet pan chicken dinner, tasty tray baked roasted chicken portions with vegetables, potatoes, and seasonings, all oven-baked in one pan. A quick easy and simple recipe.
I LOVE the convenience of this recipe!
A meal in a pan is exactly what it says! You add everything to your baking pan and put in the oven until done. It's as simple as that!
But, to get the most of the dinner, you need to add some flavorings or rubs so it all gets really tasty and moist, and the smells when it's cooking are just wonderful!
You can use meat such as pork, chops, ribs, tenderloin, or chicken, such as thighs, legs, etc. You can also use chicken breast but I would advise if you do, to keep the skin on to maintain moistness.
As for vegetables, squashes, carrots, small baby potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, peppers, anything you like!
This chicken dinner is on our menu at least one per month. It's an easy recipe and takes minimal preparations.
The recipe is flexible so you can certainly swap any vegetables for what you have in your kitchen which needs using up.
For example, you could throw in a handful of cherry tomatoes, a few slices of lemon or orange, asparagus, and season with your favorite herbs and spices. You'll see from the photos below, they're all different, depending on what I have to hand when I make this dinner. So you have an idea of some of the different vegetables you can use!
30 - 40 minutes
2 - 4 Chicken Portions. I like to use chicken legs and thighs with the bone in for extra flavor and juiciness.
Squash, zucchini (cut in half NOT lengthways), carrots, baby potatoes, onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, turnips, anything you like! Add quantities to suit, so long as everything will fit in your sheet pan.
3 cloves garlic chopped finely or crushed
1 - 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
Juice of ½ lemon.
2 Teaspoons mild chili pepper seeds (optional)
1 -2 Tablespoons Dried Tarragon
1 Teaspoon sugar
**** see below for other flavor suggestions
1. Set oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4
2. Prepare the chicken by making incisions through the thickest parts. Do this if you are cooking whole chicken quarters with the bone in or particularly thick cuts of chicken. For drumsticks and thighs, this isn't necessary. Set aside on a plate ready for the marinade rub.
3. Prepare vegetables. Cut the vegetables so they are all roughly the same size to ensure even cooking.
If you have some vegetables which are more delicate or smaller, such as beans, don't add these to the pan until 10 minutes before the end cook time.
Add your vegetables to a pan large enough for all your ingredients
4. Prepare the marinade, crush the garlic onto the meat, add tarragon, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and sugar to the meat and rub into the incisions.
5. Add the chicken to the pan and mix it all together with the vegetables. I find it easiest to just use my hands to do this.
6. Place in the oven and cook for 30 - 40 minutes, depending on how thick your meat is. Halfway through cooking, take the pan out and using a spoon, put some of the juices on the meat and vegetables. (basting). When the juices run clear from the meat (use a knife and test in the thickest part), it's done!
Serve as it is, or with rice, couscous, potatoes, etc. If you are cooking baby potatoes, or thick vegetables, cover the pan with some foil and remove 10 minutes before the end to brown
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Other marinade ideas
- Piri Piri Sauce / dry rub & Olive oil
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- Jerk Seasoning & olive oil (no need for salt)
- Raspberry or cranberry jelly with mint leaves, honey, and salt & pepper
- A mixture of your favorite herbs or spices, with slices of lemon, lime, or orange juice
Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner
Sheet pan chickendinner, tasty tray baked roasted chicken portions with vegetables, potatoes,and seasonings, all oven-baked in one pan. A quick easy and simple recipe
- 2-4 Chicken portions
- ½ Squash
- 1 Zucchini, cut into quarters
- 2 Carrots
- 8 Mushrooms
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 6 Cherry tomatoes
- 1 Onion, white or red
- 3 cloves garlic chopped finely or crushed
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ lemon, juice
- 2 Teaspoons mild chili pepper seeds, optional
- 1 -2 Tablespoons Dried Tarragon
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- Set oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4
- Prepare the chicken by making incisions through the thickest parts. Do this if you are cooking whole chicken quarters with the bone in. For drumsticks and thighs, this isn't necessary. Set aside on a plate ready for the marinade rub.
- Prepare vegetables. Cut the vegetables so they are all roughly the same size to ensure even cooking. If you have some vegetables which are more delicate or smaller, such as beans, don't add these to the pan until 10 minutes before the end cook time. Add your vegetables to a pan large enough for all your ingredients
- Prepare the marinade, crush the garlic onto the chicken, add tarragon, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and sugar to the meat and rub into the incisions.
- Add the chicken to the pan and mix it all together with the vegetables. I find it easiest to just use my hands to do this.
- Place in oven and cook for 30 - 40 minutes, depending on how thick your chicken is. Halfway through cooking, take the pan out and using a spoon, put some of the juices on the meat and vegetables. (basting). When the juices run clear from the meat (use a knife and test in the thickest part), it's done! Serve as it is, or with rice, cous cous, potatoes etc.
- If you are cooking baby potatoes, or thick vegetables, cover the pan with some foil and remove 10 minutes before the end to brown
Other marinade ideas:
Piri Piri Sauce / dry rub & Olive oil
Jerk Seasoning & olive oil (no need for salt)
Raspberry or cranberry jelly with mint leaves, honey and salt & pepper
A mixture of your favourite herbs or spices, with slices of lemon, lime or orange juice
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 624Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 1219mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 47g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Delicious Chicken Dinner Ideas
Here's a selection of lovely chicken dinner recipes for you. All very easy to make and the family love them!
Sunday Roasted Whole Chicken Dinner, a very easy to follow recipe with cook times and instructions for the chicken, gravy, roast potatoes and vegetable side dishes
Classic Spanish Seafood Paella.
In this version of the classic Spanish dish, chicken, chorizo sausage, and shrimp combine with rice simmered in broth and flavored with saffron threads, garlic
Hawaiian Chicken - A great dinner idea with wonderful caramelized pineapples on top and cooked it a delicious sauce! Serve with cous cous, rice, mashed potatoes, whatever you enjoy!
Quick Chinese Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
Chinese Cashew Chicken Stir Fry is a quick and easy recipe, tender pieces of chicken, cooked in a delicious sauce with vegetables and cashew nuts. A great dinner served with rice.
Rolled BBQ Chicken Breast With Bacon and Peppers. Succulent rolled chicken breast stuffed with bacon and peppers and coated in a homemade dry rub. BBQ or oven, an easy and tasty chicken recipe.
Creamy Coconut Chicken Curry
A delicious mild spiced chicken curry recipe using creamy coconut and ground almonds to give a gentle sweet flavor. Takes under 30 minutes to make, using regular ingredients.
Southern Style Baked Chicken with Jerk Seasoning, marinated in homemade Jerk seasoning and oven-baked with a crispy coating for tender juicy chicken portions. Ideal for a quick and easy dinner, and makes great party food too.
Chinese Chicken Stir fry, a quick easy recipe with tender chicken pieces, vegetables and cashew nuts cooked in a delicious Cantonese sauce. Serve with fragrant steamed rice!
One Pan Garlic Chicken and Rice
An easy dinner recipe with juicy chicken, cooked on the stovetop with flavors of garlic and cilantro
Chicken, Garlic and Spinach Lasagna, layers of tender chicken, spinach and pasta sheets with a creamy cheesy sauce, baked until golden. Easy recipe and freezer friendly
Quick Grilled Chicken Burger
Quick Grilled Chicken Burger.
Quick and easy juicy grilled chicken breast, seasoned with herbs, in a toasted brioche bun, layered with crisp lettuce. Perfect for lunch or dinner
Mom's Chicken Pot Pie An old family recipe and certainly comforting!
Tender Oven-Baked Juicy Chicken Breast
How to make a perfect baked chicken breast, juicy, full of flavor, with a delicious spice blend rub. Easy recipe for dinner
Delicious chicken in white wine sauce is an easy dinner recipe, sauteed chicken and mushrooms gently cooked in a full flavored white wine sauce.
Chicken, Bacon & Spinach Pasta Dinner. Quick & easy dinner, with fresh or frozen spinach, chicken, bacon and garlic. Packed with flavor, and ready in under 20 minutes.
Sesame Chicken, Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry is a really quick and easy meal, delicious served with rice or noodles! This works well as an appetizer or main meal.
Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies. Delicious little pies with crisp pastry. Freezer friendly and great for parties too!
Tandoori Chicken is a wonderful baked or grilled recipe using a homemade spice mix. Full of flavor and great for a dinner or to serve at a party!
Chicken Tenders are tender juicy pieces of chicken breast coated buttermilk
then seasoned flour to give you great-tasting chicken.
Herb Crusted Stuffed Chicken, a delicious juicy baked chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese and spinach and coated in crispy breadcrumbs.
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff is a quick and easy dinner, with delicious strips of chicken and sauteed mushrooms in a creamy sauce
Quick and Easy Moist Chicken Breast, pan-fried marinated chicken full of flavor and so tender too!
Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan Nuggets, coated in a delicious mozzarella and tomato sauce. Delicious made from scratch dinner for all the family to enjoy
Chicken A La King. A wonderful creamy chicken dinner with flavors out of this world! The chicken is lovely and tender, and together with the peppers and mushrooms in a wonderful cream sauce, this is perfect served with rice or pasta. Really tasty!
Cheats Malaysian Coconut Chicken and Potato Curry, easy no-fuss dinner, quick recipe and delicious with rice or naan bread. Simple ingredients for a tasty chicken dinner.
Chicken Roll-Ups (roulade), tender pieces of chicken filled with spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, and cheese then rolled and baked in a creamy Hollandaise sauce and served with an easy mushroom pilaf rice.
Do you cover it with foil at anytime, like the beginning and then take it off halfway through or leave it off the entire time?
Hi Mary, I would suggest if you are using meat which can go dry, like chicken breast or pork tenderloin, I would cover with foil then 10 minutes before the end remove the foil. If it is meat on the bone, or a ‘fattier’ meat, there is no need to cover at all :) Enjoy!