Hawaiian Chicken – A great dinner idea with wonderful caramelized pineapples on top and cooked it a delicious sauce! Serve with couscous, rice, mashed potatoes, whatever you enjoy!
Hawaiian Chicken! What a delicious recipe this is.
If you’re a fan of using pineapples in savory food, then this recipe is for you!
This Hawaiian chicken recipe is a perfect dinner for a Luau or simply a regular weeknight meal. You can make in bulk in sheet pans or just for two persons in a small oven proof dish.
I decided I would go with a pineapple flavor, and have the chicken and pineapples lovely and caramelized during the baking, making the chicken a little sticky sweet on the outside and really moist and tender when you eat it.
I based the sauce on a slightly sweet and sour flavor, and because the chicken is cooking in the sauce, you have the flavors coming through every part of this dish. It really was a delight to eat and super quick to prepare.
If you enjoy sweetness in a savory dish, take a look at our lovely Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe, it’s so delicious!
So let’s get straight to the recipe and see how we make this delicious Hawaiian Chicken. Please enjoy!
Chicken Thighs or Drumsticks. Allow 2 – 3 per person.
As many pineapple rings as you like. I allowed 2 per person
The pineapple juice from the can of your pineapples (about 1 cup or so?)
2 cups or 500 ml hot water
1 chicken stock cube
2 teaspoons mustard (your favourite choice)
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon Tomato puree
Salt & Pepper
1 Tablespoon vinegar
2 Tablespoons flour ** if you are using more liquid, you will need to use more flour or cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
1. Set Oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4
2. Wash and prepare the chicken in a suitable ovenproof dish. Allow enough space for the chicken to sit separate and also to hold the sauce. Pour over the pineapple juice. Add salt and pepper to the chicken if you wish.
3. In a jug, add the stock cube to the hot water to dissolve it, then in a bowl, add the flour and enough cold water to make it into a paste. Once done, add the remaining ingredients for the sauce and stir to avoid any lumps. Add this to the jug of hot water & dissolved stock cube.
4. Pour the sauce all over the chicken and then arrange the pineapple rings how you like.
5. Place in the oven for 60 minutes. Halfway through cook time, you may want to move the pineapple rings a little so the skin underneath browns evenly.
The chicken will look like it is burnt, but in fact, it is the sugars & pineapple caramelizing, so please don’t worry!
Serve with my Delicious Cous Cous, rice or whatever you like!
Sunday Roasted Whole Chicken Dinner, a very easy to follow recipe with cook times and instructions for the chicken, gravy, roast potatoes and vegetable side dishesContinue Reading
Chicken Party Salad is a great family recipe, very quick and easy to make and great tasting. Serve in lettuce wraps, sandwiches, on it's own, the sky's the limit!Get the Recipe
Chicken, Garlic and Spinach Lasagna , an easy recipe full of flavour and freezer friendly too!Continue Reading
Chicken Skillet Dinner! This is a great recipe, suitable for a family meal or a dinner party.Yummy!Continue Reading
Mom's Chicken Pot Pie An old family recipe and certainly comforting!Get the Recipe
Easy Chicken in White Wine Sauce. All cooked in one pan, quick and easy recipe with fantastic flavors! A really easy chicken dinner.Continue Reading
Tasty Chicken, Bacon & Spinach Pasta. Quick and Easy and oh so delicious!Continue Reading
Sesame Chicken, Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry is a really quick and easy meal, delicious served with rice or noodles! This works well as an appetizer or main meal.Continue Reading
Breaded Chicken Skewers. These are a wonderful little appetizer or party food. Quick and easy to make and juicy to the bite too! Serve warm with your favorite dips. These always go fast at parties so be sure you make plenty!Continue Reading
Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies. Delicious little pies with crisp pastry. Freezer friendly and great for parties too!Continue Reading
Tandoori Chicken is a wonderful baked or grilled recipe using a homemade spice mix. Full of flavor and great for a dinner or to serve at a party!Get the Recipe
Homemade Fried Chicken Tenders. A great easy recipe and perfect for a party too!Continue Reading
Herb Crusted Stuffed Chicken, a delicious juicy baked chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese and spinach and coated in crispy breadcrumbs.Get the Recipe
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff is a quick and easy dinner, with delicious strips of chicken and sauteed mushrooms in a creamy sauceContinue Reading
- Chicken Thighs or Drumsticks. Allow 2 - 3 per person.
- As many pineapple rings as you like. I allowed 2 per person
- cup The pineapple juice from the can of your pineapples, about 1 or so?
- 2 cups or 500 ml hot water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 teaspoons mustard, your favourite choice
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato puree
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons flour ** if you are using more liquid, you will need to use more flour or cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- Set Oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4
- Wash and prepare the chicken in a suitable oven proof dish. Allow enough space for the chicken to sit separate and also to hold the sauce. Pour over the pineapple juice. Add salt and pepper to the chicken if you wish.
- In a jug, add the stock cube to the hot water to dissolve it, then in a bowl, add the flour and enough cold water to make it into a paste. Once done, add the remaining ingredients for the sauce and stir to avoid any lumps. Add this to the jug of hot water & dissolved stock cube.
- Pour the sauce all over the chicken and then arrange the pineapple rings how you like.
- Place in the oven for 60 minutes. Halfway through cook time, you may want to move the pineapple rings a little so the skin underneath browns evenly. The chicken will look like it is burnt, but in fact it is the sugars & pineapple caramelising, so please don't worry!
- Serve with cous cous, rice or whatever you like!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 423mg Carbohydrates: 90g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 27g Protein: 20g