How To Cook Perfect Couscous, tiny steamed balls of durum wheat pasta, simply cooked with fresh ingredients to give it bags of flavor. A perfect Moroccan side dish.
Couscous is semolina (tiny granules of durum wheat), and is a traditional staple in North African countries such as Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. It is often served with a 'stew' or casserole where the gravy is soaked up by the couscous.
What is Couscous?
Couscous is a tiny pasta (semolina) made of wheat or barley. Couscous was traditionally hand-rolled, however, nowadays it is machine rolled. Coarsely-ground durum wheat (semolina) is moistened and tossed with fine wheat flour until it forms tiny, round balls.
Couscous is also the national dish of Morocco and can often be served alongside lamb, such as a lamb tagine.
On its own, it doesn't have much flavor, a bit like pasta. So you need to flavor it and then it transforms into something really quite wonderful!
I love couscous because of its appearance and texture, as well as the flavors I can add to it.
Can you freeze couscous?
Yes, make sure you reheat thoroughly and then use a fork to fluff it back again.
It is easy to prepare and is able to take on many flavors. If you have never eaten couscous or when you did, you found it a little bland or boring, try my recipe and I am sure your opinion will change!
For this recipe, I have added various ingredients such as garlic, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, and herbs so the couscous takes on a really lovely flavor. If you want to make plain couscous, then simply leave out the extras.
1 ½ cups or 250 g Cous cous
1 cup or 250 ml Boiling hot water
1 Stock cube
1 onion chopped fine
1 cloves garlic, chopped /crushed
1 tomato skin off & chopped
handful of mushrooms chopped small
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper
handful of fresh basil leaves & Flat leaf Parsley - chopped
How to avoid a stodgy lumpy couscous
Be sure to keep the ratio of water to couscous. Too much water will result in a soggy lumpy consistency! Too little and the couscous won't fluff up.
1. Add boiling hot water to a jug with the stock cube and dissolve it. Then add it to the bowl with the cous cous in.
Place a lid or plastic wrap over the bowl. (covering the couscous will allow it to absorb the water).
2. Add olive oil to a pan and cook onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Add salt & pepper.
3. Whilst the onions etc are cooking, place the tomato in a jug with some hot water so the skin can be removed.
4. Cook the onions etc until they are translucent and everything is soft. Remove the tomato from the water and peel off the skin, and chop into cubes.
Add to the pan of onions etc and combine. Remove pan from heat.
5. Remove the lid from the bowl of cous cous and using a fork, poke it around and stir it quite a lot until it fluffs up and the cous cous is not clumped together.
6. Add ALL the contents from the pan to the couscous. Do not drain the juices from the pan. You need the oil and juices to flavor the couscous. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add tabasco, fresh chopped herbs, and combine.
How To Cook Perfect Couscous
How To Cook Perfect Couscous, tiny steamed balls of durum wheat pasta, simply cooked with fresh ingredients to give it bags of flavor. A perfect side Moroccan side dish.
- 1 ½ cups or 250 g Cous cous
- 1 cup or 250 ml Boiling hot water
- 1 Stock cube
- I onion chopped fine
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped /crushed
- 1 tomato skin off & chopped
- handful of mushrooms chopped small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- leaves handful of fresh basil & Flat leaf Parsley - chopped
- Tabasco, optional
- Add boiling hot water to a jug with the stock cube and dissolve it. Then add it to the bowl with the cous cous in. Place a lid or plastic wrap over the bowl. (covering the cous cous will allow it to absorb the water.
- Add olive oil to a pan and cook onions, mushrooms and garlic. Add salt & pepper if you wish.
- Whilst the onions etc are cooking, place the tomato in a jug with some hot water so the skin can be removed.
- Cook the onions etc until they are translucent and everything is soft. Remove the tomato from the water and peel off the skin, and chop into cubes. Add to the pan of onions etc and combine. Remove pan from heat.
- Remove the lid from the bowl of cous cous and using a fork, poke it around and stir it quite a lot until it fluffs up and the cous cous is not clumped together.
- Add ALL the contents from the pan to the cous cous. Do not drain first. You need the oil and juices to flavour the cous cous. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add tabasco , fresh chopped herbs and combine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
Delicious Side dishes
Here's a selection of delicious side dishes for any occasion and great for Thanksgiving and Christmas time too!
A delicious simple, quick and easy recipe with great flavors. Uses minimal oil, super crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
How to make a Bechamel Sauce.
Learn how to make an easy béchamel sauce. This basic white sauce recipe is rich, creamy and savory often used for a variety of dishes such as lasagna and moussaka
Easy Colcannon with Bacon! Decadent creamy mashed potato, bacon & cabbage, combined to make an amazing side or main dish. The perfect recipe for St Patrick's Day.
Oh my! Bacon Cauliflower Cheesy Bake. Great flavors all baked in a delicious cheese sauce, made from scratch and so good!
Mixed Vegetable Cheese Bake
Mixed vegetable cheese bake is a delicious easy recipe using a variety of fresh vegetables, baked in a simple cheese roux sauce. Serve as a main meal or a side dish.
How To Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Learn how to make perfect creamy mashed potatoes, great tasting, fluffy, and so easy. Here's our simple homemade recipe.
Tear and share garlic parmesan bread, loaded with cheese and garlic, using refrigerated biscuits, baked in a bundt pan. A perfect side dish to share at a party
Bacon and Cheese Potato Croquettes
These delicious little Potato Croquettes are filled with bacon, and cheese. Fluffy inside and crispy outside. These are perfect as a side, buffet food or for snacking.
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms. This is a very quick, easy and delicious recipe, perfect as a side, serve on toast for brunch, or add to some lovely pasta!
Simple Egg Fried Rice
A simple, easy recipe for how to make Chinese restaurant-style egg fried rice. Takes only minutes to make and turns out perfect every time!
Cheesy Oven-Baked Garlic Potatoes
A Simple, Easy Side Dish Recipe, With Fluffy Potatoes, Cheese, And Onions, Baked In A Tasty Garlic And Herb Mix. The Perfect Cheesy Potato Bake!
Creamy Dauphinoise Layered Potatoes, a nice side dish to go with dinner. It's EASY to make and really is delicious!
Beer, Bacon, and Cheddar Cornbread An easy recipe with a great flavor combination. Goes well with soups, chili, stews or simply on its own!
Best Ever Pico De Gallo, Salsa Fresca, a delicious Mexican salsa, quick and easy to make with refreshing flavors of lime, jalapenos, tomatoes, and cilantro. Absolutely delicious!
Festive Jack Daniel's Stuffing Balls, a perfect snack, appetizer or side to your Thanksgiving or Christmas menu. Juicy pork, flavored with Jack Daniel's, cranberry and chestnuts to give you a lovely Festive feeling.
Easy Garlic Cabbage and Broccoli recipe is so delicious! Very quick and easy to do and perfect as a side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas or indeed any time!
Easy Garlic Cabbage and Carrots
Easy Garlic Cabbage and Carrots is a lovely side dish, perfect with a roast dinner or part of Thanksgiving or Christmas. Possible to make ahead too!
Cheesy Veggie Bake! This is an incredibly easy and versatile recipe, suitable as a side dish or a main meal. Options to add extra cheese for the cheese lovers too! Perfect for Thanksgiving. Make ahead and freeze then simply heat through when you want to serve.
Roasted Garlic & Herb Vegetables. Easy to make and all in one pan!
Easy Sesame Garlic Green Beans, a quick and simple side dish, ready in under 10 minutes.
Super Crispy Crunchy Roast Potatoes. Crispy on the outside and fluffy inside!
Creamy Cheesy Mashed Potatoes is a very easy side dish with amazing flavor. Make ahead, freezer friendly and great for a weeknight dinner or Thanksgiving too!
Easy Carrot and Butternut Squash Mash A great side dish, quick, easy and very tasty.
Easy Baked Garlic Potatoes. Delicious served as a side dish or as part of a breakfast! Super easy recipe with extra serving suggestions for you.
Easy Baked Baby Potatoes. Incredibly easy and absolutely delicious little baked potatoes, perfect as a side dish and goes with any meal!
Spiced - Oven Baked Potatoes & Baby Carrots. A popular family recipe and very flexible with the flavors and ingredients.
Caramelized Onions and Lentils. A wonderful side dish goes perfect with a crockpot dinner,
or some nice chicken or pork chops, or a roast turkey dinner too! Really tasty
and very easy to make. No messing or fussing!
Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Gratin, bacon cheese and Brussels Sprouts all baked in a creamy sauce.
Very easy recipe and of course absolutely delicious!
Yorkshire Pudding, a.k.a. popovers are so delicious! Serve as part of a main meal with lots of gravy, or as an appetizer and fill them with goodies. You can also serve these as a dessert, adding some nice fruits or pie filling and ice cream! You decide. They are so yummy! Make in one pan or mini muffins.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice, quick and easy recipe for the microwave, great for a low carb meal