Poor Man's Stew, A quick and easy dinner recipe made from scratch and full of great flavor This is such a delicious recipe, and so full of great tasting goodness. The ingredients are very simple and most you will probably have in your store cupboard or freezer.
I've called this Poor Man's Stew because it is so budget friendly and inexpensive to make. Of course with a normal stew you would likely use a cut of beef or pork. However, that can be expensive, especially if you have lots of mouths to feed. So for this recipe, I've actually used half ground pork and half ground beef. You can use any ground meat you like, or ground soya / tofu if you wanted to make this a vegetarian dinner.
For the vegetables, use whatever your family likes the most, and whatever is in season. That way, the vegetables will be at their best and lowest price too. If you wanted to bulk this meal out to make it go further, add extra potatoes and carrots.
This is an easy meal to prepare and so tasty! I serve this for the family on a weeknight because it's quick to make. You can also freeze it, so if you wanted to make up a big pot, you could put it in several containers and simply defrost when you want one and heat through. It's that easy! Although I haven't made this recipe in a slow cooker, but only on a stove top (because it's so quick), you could use your slow cooker. I would suggest 6 hours on Low.
Serve with some slices of buttered bread. Of course you must dip the bread in the gravy! Everybody loves to do that when I make this meal so make sure you have plenty of bread on hand too!
Poor Man's Stew is really a delicious recipe and great for those who don't have much time to spend in the kitchen, and also for those who are new to cooking, but want to make something straightforward and from scratch. It really is a simple recipe so please enjoy and I am sure it will quickly become a popular go to recipe in your home too!
If you enjoy cooking with ground meat, why not try our Beef and Spinach Pasta Bake (so delicious!) or Cottage Pie which has some lovely flavors, or our Million Dollar Spaghetti or our tasty Pasta Bake recipes.
So let's see how we make our Poor Man's Stew
Ingredients you'll need
- Ground meat - of your choice such as beef, turkey, lamb, or for vegetarians, ground soya meat
- Garlic - crushed / chopped
- Mushrooms - chopped
- Carrots - peeled & chopped in to bite-size pieces
- Frozen peas or Zucchini / Courgettes - cut in to bite-sized pieces
- Potatoes - peeled and cut in to bite-size pieces
- Thyme - fresh or dried
- Bay Leaves
- Worcestershire Sauce or Balsamic Vinegar
- Vegetable or Beef Broth
- Salt & Pepper
See the recipe card below for quantities.
1. Prepare the vegetables, peel and slice the carrots, potatoes and any other vegetables you choose.
2. Chop the onion and add to a large pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Under a medium heat, allow the onions to soften, then add the garlic and ground meat. Stir until evenly browned.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the liquid cornstarch and broth. Combine everything in a pan and allow to simmer with the lid on for 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth and Cornstarch. Stir well then return the lid and allow to simmer for 35 minutes.
*After this time, if you want more gravy in the pan, just add a little hot water until it's to your liking. Bring everything back to the boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve with some slices of buttered bread and enjoy!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Poor Man's Stew
Poor Man's Stew, A quick and easy dinner recipe made from scratch and full of great flavor
- 1 Lb or 500 g ground meat of your choice, or for vegetarians, ground soya meat
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 Clove garlic crushed / chopped
- ½ lb or 300 g mushrooms chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled & chopped in to bite size pieces
- 1 ⅓ cups or 200 g frozen peas or 2 Zucchini / Courgettes, cut in to bite sized pieces
- 3 - 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in to bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 heaped Tsp Cornstarch mixed with 1 cup cold water, mix well
- 1 Tsp dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce or Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Pint Vegetable or Beef Broth
- Salt and Pepper
- Bread and Butter to serve
- Prepare the vegetables, peel and slice the carrots, potatoes and any other vegetables you choose.
- Chop the onion and add to a large pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Under a medium heat, allow the onions to soften, then add the garlic and ground meat. Stir until evenly browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the liquid cornstarch and broth. Combine everything in a pan and allow to simmer with the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and Cornstarch. Stir well then return the lid and allow to simmer for 35 minutes.
- *After this time, if you want more gravy in the pan, just add a little hot water until it's to your liking. Bring everything back to the boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some slices of buttered bread and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 398mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 37g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Delicious Recipes Using Ground Meat
Here's a lovely selection of our most popular ground meat recipes for you to enjoy
Stuffed Potato Dumplings. A twist on the classic Swedish Kroppkakor dumplings, using leftover potatoes, stuffed with a choice of fillings,boiled & pan fried.Popular supper or party food.
Beef and Rice Stuffed Peppers
Beef and rice stuffed peppers are deliciously oven-roasted and filled with a mix of ground meat, rice, garlic, and seasonings making for a perfect lunch or supper.
Taco Pizza, delicious homemade pizza dough with toppings of a taco! Tasty seasoned ground beef, onions, garlic, olives, tomato sauce, topped with cheese, sour cream and lettuce.
Simple Spaghetti Bolognese, an easy dinner using fresh ingredients and full of flavor, with a homemade tomato sauce
Cabbage Rolls, Golabki. A classic stuffed cabbage recipe, easy to make and also a vegetarian option in the recipe. A great tasting family meal.
Garlic Meatballs and Pasta is a lovely homemade recipe using fresh ingredients with a delicious sauce
Easy Pasta Bake.
A quick and easy dinner, loaded with cheese, ground beef, pasta and baked in a delicious tomato sauce.
Juicy BBQ Meat Kebabs.
These juicy BBQ meat kebabs are bursting with a variety of spices and fresh herbs for a juicy, full of flavor meat skewer recipe. Ideal for outdoor eating, and easy to prepare.
Juicy Homemade Meatballs are full of flavor, juicy, and simply delicious. These homemade meatballs are always a hit with the family. Here I've used some great ingredients to keep these super moist and of course really packed with flavor.
Easy American Hamburger Goulash.
This is an easy recipe for how to make cheesy hamburger goulash, using pasta, ground meat,melted cheese and vegetables, cooked on the stove top. Pure comfort food using fresh ingredients.
Oh So Good Jack Daniel's Burgers taste amazing! Easy to make and full of flavor to give you a delicious juicy burger. Perfect for BBQ's and parties. Freezer friendly too
Cheesy Beef and Spinach Pasta Bake.
Delicious oven-baked beef and spinach pasta casserole, baked in a rich cheese roux sauce to give you a great dinner. Easy to make and very tasty!
Spanish Meatballs in Garlic Tomato Sauce, Albondigas is a lovely easy dish typically served as Tapas in bars. Great for party food, main meals and appetizers!
Nanny's Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs (with Italian Sausage too!) is a popular recipe with her family. The grandkids absolutely love it! Easy to make, freezer-friendly, and always a hit!