Homemade Canned Chili. A great way to get stocked up, handy for camping or when you just don't have time to cook! Instructions for canning into jars to preserve all the flavors.
Cathy's shared a great guide to how she cans chili.
Cathy often cans foods, so that there's a handy supply of tasty meals ready when she just doesn't have time to cook up a meal, or the weather's bad and can't get to the shops. Let's see how Cathy cans chili!
Be sure to check out Cathy's extremely popular apple butter recipe too!
Recipe by Cathy Kopp
1 & ½ hrs
4 x 16 oz Mason Jars
NOTE: You may have a bot more or less for your jars, depending on how much liquid uoi have from the chili so be flexible with the quantities.
Prepare your favorite chili recipe, or make our Lovefoodies Easy Chili recipe, ingredients as follows;
1 Lb or 500 g ground meat of your choice, or for vegetarians, ground soya meat
1 large chopped onion
3 Cloves garlic crushed/chopped
½ lb or 300 g mushrooms chopped (optional)
1 Bay Leaf
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Stock / boullion cube
1 -2 Teaspoons Mild dry chili pepper seeds. (Adjust to your taste..the more, the hotter!)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 can (14.5 oz) whole peeled chopped tomatoes (no added flavors) plus ½ can of water if necessary
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Make the chili, use your own recipe or our Lovefoodies Easy Chili Recipe.
2. Prepare your pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
3. Ladle hot chili into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the rim with vinegar. Center the hot lid on the jar. Apply the band and adjust until the fit is fingertip-tight.
4. Process filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 1 hour and 30 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude.
5. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. The lid should not flex up and down when the center is pressed.
Just remember, this MUST be pressure canned; as does anything with meat.
For further information on canning, Cathy uses SB CANNING as her resource for great information.
Please be aware that recipes shared by readers of this page are not endorsed, checked or tested by Lovefoodies. Always follow USDA home canning recommendations.
If you'd like to stock up on Mason Jars, a great place to buy them is from Amazon. They come in all different sizes and include lids and seals.
Try this easy chili pasta bake recipe, it's great if you're looking for something easy and quick to make!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Prepare your favourite chili recipe, or make our Lovefoodies Easy Chili recipe, ingredients as follows;
- 1 Lb or 500 g ground meat of your choice, or for vegetarians, ground soya meat
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 Cloves garlic crushed / chopped
- ½ lb or 300 g mushrooms chopped, optional
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Stock / boullion cube
- 1 -2 Teaspoons Mild dry chilli pepper seeds. (adjust to your taste..the more, the hotter!)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 oz can whole peeled chopped tomatoes plus ½ can of water if necessary, 14.5, no added flavours
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Make the chili, See here if you would like to use our Lovefoodies easy Chili Recipe.
- Prepare your pressure canner. Heat the jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set the bands aside.
- Ladle hot chili into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the rim with vinegar. Center the hot lid on the jar jar. Apply the band and adjust until the fit is fingertip-tight.
- Process filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 1 hour and 30 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude.
- Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. The lid should not flex up and down when the center is pressed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
NESCO NPC-9 Smart Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner, 9.5 Quart, Stainless Steel
Canning Pot with Rack and full Set + ½ Pint ladle Measuring Cups - Supplies Kit for Beginner, Food Grade Stainless Steel Accessories Starter
KAMOTA Mason Jars 16 oz With Regular Lids and Bands, Ideal for Jam, Honey, Wedding Favors, Shower Favors,DIY Spice Jars, 18 PACK, 20 Whiteboard Labels Included
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 36g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate