This classic easy chili con carne is packed with flavor. Using pantry ingredients, this spicy beef stew is great for parties, easy dinners and freezes well too.
I know many people have tried making chili but never quite got the flavor they were looking for. I've also seen tons of recipes out there, many of which have at least 15 - 20 ingredients, if not more, and this can often be daunting and a little overwhelming for someone who just wants to make a chili for the first time. So I've made up this easy simple recipe to help you. Once you have made it, you can add other flavors, experiment a little, or just keep the recipe as it is!
I love making this as it is quick, inexpensive, uncomplicated, full of flavor, and very easy to do.
I've made this recipe so that you can be as rigid or as versatile as you wish. You can choose what ground meat you would like, whether you want rice, spaghetti, pasta or something else....maybe just a warm crusty bread roll even! So come and discover how easy this Chilli really is to make.
1 Lb or 500 g ground meat of your choice, or for vegetarians, ground soya meat
14 oz 410g can of red kidney beans, drained
1 large chopped onion
3 Cloves garlic crushed/chopped
½ lb or 300 g mushrooms chopped (optional)
1 Bay Leaf
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Stock cube
1 -2 Teaspoons Mild dry chili pepper seeds. (Adjust to your taste..the more, the hotter!)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 can (14.5 oz) whole peeled chopped tomatoes (no added flavors) plus ½ can of water if necessary
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Peel and chop the onion, garlic, and mushrooms if using, then add to a pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
2. Lightly fry until the onions are soft and translucent (not brown as this will make them taste bitter)
3. Add your meat and cornstarch and cook, stirring in the pan with the other ingredients.
4. Add the remaining ingredients.
5. Stir it all together and leave to simmer on a low heat until the sauce thickens. Should take 10 - 15 minutes or so.
6. Whilst the sauce is simmering, cook the rice, pasta, and spaghetti as per the packet instructions.
If you need more liquid in the chili, add a little water until it is the consistency you like.
7. Warm your dinner plates/bowls up and get ready to plate up when the rice/spaghetti is done.
8. Have a taste to see if you need more salt & pepper.
And there you have it, A Simple Chili! Now for the pleasure of eating. Enjoy every bite and thanks for trying the recipe.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 1 Lb or 500 g ground meat of your choice, or for vegetarians, ground soya meat
- 14 oz or 410g can of red kidney beans, drained
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 Cloves garlic crushed / chopped
- ½ lb or 300 g mushrooms chopped, optional
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Stock cube
- 1 -2 Teaspoons Mild dry chilli pepper seeds. (adjust to your taste..the more, the hotter!)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 x 14.5 oz can whole peeled chopped tomatoes plus ½ can of water if necessary, no added flavors
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Peel & chop onion, garlic and mushrooms if using then add to a pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Lightly fry until the onions are soft and translucent (not brown as this will make them taste bitter)
- Add your meat and cornstarch and cook, stirring in the pan with the other ingredients.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir it all together and leave to simmer on a low heat until the sauce thickens. Should take 10 - 15 minutes or so.
- Whilst the sauce is simmering, cook the rice, pasta, spaghetti as per the packet instructions.
- If you need more liquid in the chilli, add a little water until it is the consistency you like.
- Warm your dinner plates/bowls up and get ready to plate up when the rice / spaghetti is done.
- Have a taste to see if you need more salt & pepper.
- Serving suggestion as I have done, with rice and a blob of Mayo.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cuisinart 644-24 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 6-Quart Stockpot with Lid
DELOBOLL 8.5 Quart Tri-Ply Covered Stainless Steel Stockpot TOP Standard, Multi-clad Base Induction Cookware, Dishwasher Safe Soup Pot with Lid + 2 Silicone Oven Mitts, Qt
Stock Pot with Lids,DERUI CREATION 4 Quart Stainless Steel Stockpots for Cooking Soup Pots
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 716Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 472mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 11gSugar: 12gProtein: 62g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate