Prize Winning Cathy’s Apple Butter -Easy Crock Pot Recipe. Goes great with sweet or savory dishes. You choose! Nice for gifts too!
Prize Winning Cathy’s Apple Butter is a delicious recipe and has been generously shared by one of our Lovefoodies supporters, Cathy Kopp.
Cathy is always cooking delicious Home made dishes, and just loves to cook.
Here, Cathy’s Apple Butter is incredibly easy and is certainly popular with her boys!
It’s easy to do, let your slow cooker do all the work and at the end you have delicious Apple butter. Cathy entered her Apple Butter into the Wayne County Fair and won first prize, so many congratulations! It sure is a winner recipe!
Recipe by Cathy Kopp
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 22 hours
Yield: 5.5 pints
12 pounds Golden Delicious apples – peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1. Place apples and vinegar into a large slow cooker, and place lid on top.
2. Set on High, and cook for 8 hours, then turn to Low, and continue cooking 10 hours more.
3. After 18 hours, stir in white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice, and cook 4 hours more.
This is easy, easy, easy! The most difficult part is peeling the apples and then getting them all to fit in the crockpot.
I made it according to the directions above. In the future, I will reduce the amount of white sugar and the amount of cinnamon.
In my case I canned the apple butter. See below for instructions how to do that if you are not sure.
See below, Cathy won first prize for her Apple Butter at the Wayne County Fair, Ohio
1. Fill the hot boiled jars with the hot apple butter. Leave a space of about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down. Place jars back in the canner (boiling pot). Ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process – boil filled jars – 10 minutes.
2. When processing time is complete, turn stove off, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
3. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
Note : I boil by jars before and after. Also altitude is important.
This is the altitude chart for guidance, Click HERE to see it.
The ingredients proportions are from Bernardin. The jars come with a little recipe book sometimes and fruit proportion has been taken from there as well as some of the boiling instructions.
NOTE: Please be aware that recipes shared by readers of this page are not endorsed, checked or tested by Lovefoodies. Always follow USDA home canning recommendations.
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Why not try our popular Apple sauce and Walnut Brownie Cake (simply swap the apple sauce for Cathy’s apple butter! )
Got lots of apples? Here’s a few more of our very popular apple recipes for you to enjoy;
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!
- 12 pounds Golden Delicious apples - peeled cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place apples and vinegar into a large slow cooker, and place lid on top.
- Set on High, and cook for 8 hours, then turn to Low, and continue cooking 10 hours more.
- After 18 hours, stir in white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice, and cook 4 hours more.