Chocolate Latte Cake. A soft and moist cake with the flavors of a latte coffee and a hit of chocolate for good measure! Nice and easy recipe too! This is a wonderful cake, fun to make and of course delicious too!
I wanted to create a cake which would taste just like a latte coffee, and one which would look pretty, but not overly fancy and fussy.
With every bite, you get a taste of vanilla milkiness, combined with a gentle coffee flavour, and a hit of chocolate. So the result is a chocolate latte marble cake!
The vanilla cream frosting in the middle and on the outside of the cake adds to a wonderful creaminess and when all combined in your mouth, well... it really is just like drinking a latte coffee!
I tried a slice with a cup of freshly brewed latte coffee and oh my goodness, take a bit of cake and then a sip of coffee and you will appreciate just how lovely the cake is!
This chocolate latte cake is an easy recipe, and you could, if you wanted to, make a nice fancy frosting by piping decorations all over, or just do as I have done by keeping it simple and easy and still, in my opinion, a stunning looking cake.
So please enjoy, it is a lovely, moist and soft cake and happy baking!
We've also made a coffee flavored walnut cake with a coffee cream cheese frosting, oh it's so good! See our Coffee Walnut Cake recipe. It's delicious!
Check out our handy Oven Temperature Conversion Guide!
1 cup or 250 g butter, softened
1 cup or 200 g Regular or Castor Sugar
1 ½ cups or 190 g AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup or 30 g cocoa powder plus extra for decoration
¼ cup or 60 ml milk
3 teaspoons Strong Coffee Granules
3 Tablespoons hot water
1 ¾ cups or 400 ml of whipping or heavy cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons gelatin powder
2 Tablespoons hot water
1. Preheat oven to 160 C, 325 F. Grease and lightly flour two 8 inch or 20 cm loose-bottomed round cake tins.
2. Sift flour, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, sift cocoa powder. Dissolve the coffee granules with the 3 tablespoons of hot water in a cup.
3. Lightly beat eggs and add vanilla in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add egg mixture, a little at a time to the batter. Then add half the flour, then milk, then the rest of flour.
5. Divide cake batter mixture into 2 bowls. Add the cocoa into one of the bowls and mix, together with the dissolved coffee until all combined.
6. Alternate spoonfuls of vanilla and chocolate cake mixture into both tins.
Use the end of a spoon handle to swirl around the mixture.
Don't over swirl. You want to leave the batter so you can see the different colours.
7. Bake 30 - 35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow the cakes to rest for 2 minutes then remove from pans and place UPSIDE DOWN on a cooling rack. Allow to COMPLETELY cool before frosting.
Please note, bake times will vary slightly so please check for doneness after 25 - 30 minutes of baking.
For the Whipped Cream Frosting
8. Mix the gelatin in the hot water and let dissolve for 5 mins. Add a little cream into the gelatin mixture.
9. Whip the cream until soft peaks adding the sugar slowly. Add the vanilla extract. Then add the gelatin mixture and whip till stiff peaks.
10. Spread some frosting on the surface of one cake, place the other cake on top and frost the sides and top of the whole cake. Put a light dusting of cocoa powder on the top. Refrigerate for at least an hour for the frosting to firm up a little then serve with a nice latte coffee!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our Chocolate Latte Cake recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Chocolate Latte Cake
Chocolate Latte Cake. A soft and moist cake with the flavors of a latte coffee and a hit of chocolate for good measure! Nice and easy recipe too!
The Cake :
- 1 cup or 250 g butter, softened
- 1 cup or 200 g Regular or Castor Sugar
- 1 ½ cups or 190g AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup or 30 g cocoa powder plus extra for decoration
- ¼ cup or 60 ml milk
- 3 teaspoons Strong Coffee Granules
- 3 Tablespoons hot water
- 1 ¾ cups or 400 ml of whipping or heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 160 C, 325 F. Grease and lightly flour two 8 inch or 20 cm loose bottomed round cake tins.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, sift cocoa powder. Dissolve the coffee granules with the 3 tablespoons of hot water in a cup.
- Lightly beat eggs and add vanilla in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add egg mixture, a little at a time to the batter. Then add half the flour, then milk, then the rest of flour.
- Divide cake batter mixture into 2 bowls. Add the cocoa into one of the bowls and and mix, together with the dissolved coffee until all combined.
- Alternate spoonfuls of vanilla and chocolate cake mixture into both tins. Use the end of a spoon handle to swirl around the mixture. *** Don't over swirl. You want to leave the batter so you can see the different colours.
- Bake 30 - 35 mins or until skewer comes out clean. Allow the cakes to rest for 2 minutes then remove from pans and place UPSIDE DOWN on a cooling rack. Allow to COMPLETELY cool before frosting.
- *** Please note, bake times will vary slightly so please check for done - ness after 25 - 30 minutes of baking.
For the Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Mix the gelatin in the hot water and let dissolve for 5 mins. Add a little cream into the gelatin mixture.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks adding the sugar slowly. Add the vanilla extract. Then add the gelatin mixture and whip till stiff peaks.
- Spread some frosting on the surface of one cake, place the other cake on top and frost the sides and top of the whole cake. Put a light dusting of cocoa powder on the top. Refrigerate for at least an hour for the frosting to firm up a little then serve with a nice latte coffee!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware Deluxe Bundt Cake Keeper
MEYKISS Cake Tester, Stainless Steel Cake Tester Probe Skewer Kitchen Baking Tools, Set of 2
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Dr Oetker Gelatine Sachet Multipack 3 x 12g
Rachael Ray 54073 Yum -o! Nonstick Bakeware Baking Pan With Grips / Nonstick Cake Pan With Grips, Round - 9 Inch, Gray
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 12 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 429mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g
Here's a great selection of celebration cakes perfect for a party!
Cranberry and Pecan Christmas Cake, loaded with delicious fruits and Spiced Rum. A perfect treat for Christmas.
Coffee Walnut Sandwich Cake.
The best coffee and walnut cake, a classic British afternoon tea cake, layers of soft and fluffy coffee cake with chopped walnuts throughout, adds a great flavor and texture, frosted with coffee cream cheese frosting. A pure delight to eat!
Authentic German Black Forest Swiss Roll, a light sponge cake famous in Germany. Layers of chocolate cake, cherries, kirsch & fresh whipped cream in a cake roll.
Salted Caramel Celebration Cake is perfect for a party. Homemade layers of soft caramel cake and layers of salted caramel frosting then topped with chocolate covered pretzels and salted caramel popcorn.
Walnut Cake is a delicious easy recipe. the cake is so soft and fluffy! Recipe also for a lovely vanilla frosting.
Orange or Clementine Ricotta Cheesecake. A lovely crustless baked dessert. Light and airy cheesecake, topped with zesty sweet homemade orange curd and fresh whipped cream.
Celebration Coconut Cake.
Perfect for a celebration, this coconut cake is made up of layers of soft coconut cake sandwiched between lemon curd then frosted with a light and airy coconut frosting.
Toasted Coconut Cupcakes.
Deliciously light and fluffy coconut cupcakes, with a coconut cream cheese frosting. Simple easy recipe for how to make perfect, moist cupcakes, ideal for parties and celebrations
Honey Bun Cupcakes are lovely and soft with great flavors of cinnamon and brown sugar and topped with a homemade honey buttercream frosting
Cherry Almond Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a lovely soft cake and great tasting. Perfect for parties too!
Coffee Walnut Cake
Coffee Walnut Cake is a deliciously easy soft and fluffy cake recipe. Recipe also for a lovely vanilla coffee frosting. A nice cake for the holidays!
How To Make A Basic Chocolate Loaf Cake
A simple, easy chocolate loaf cake recipe is moist, rich and chocolatey. Perfect for new cooks and is a go to basic recipe
The Famous Hummingbird Cake! A very popular soft and moist cake with pecans, bananas, pineapples, and a delicious frosting too!
Strawberry and Coconut Poke Cake with Fresh Whipped Cream. Easy made from scratch recipe. Yummy!
Fluffy Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake is a lovely baked dessert and so light and airy. Perfect for Easter, Mother's Day or any time of the year! It's out of this world delicious!
Easy Red Velvet Party Cake recipe with a lovely cream cheese frosting. Soft, fluffy and so delicious! Make as a sheet or round cake, you decide
Strawberry and Vanilla Cake. A soft and moist cake bursting with delicious strawberry and vanilla flavors. It tastes out of this world!
Authentic German Black Forest Cake, Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte is a delicious cake famous in Germany. Layers of chocolate cake, black cherries and kirsch. Perfect for a party!
Carrot Cake Cheesecake. Simply a Show Stopping Wow!
Caramel Marshmallow Cake, soft, moist cake recipe, with caramel and marshmallows and topped with a fresh whipped cream frosting. Great for celebrations, parties and dessert
Tiramisu Pound Cake, a soft and delicious pound cake with all the flavors of a Tiramisu! It's even got a mascarpone frosting. This will go fast so be sure to make two!
Pineapple and Coconut Poke Cake.
A delicious pineapple combined with creamy coconut cake recipe, topped with fresh whipped cream and more coconut, making a soft and fluffy great tasting tropical cake
Italian Cream Cake is a delicious tender made from scratch cake bursting with coconut, vanilla, and pecans, with cream cheese frosting. A perfect celebration cake
Almond Joy Cake. A delicious chocolate cake with almond and a coconut frosting. Always a hit and so popular!
Nanny's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cake is a keeper recipe! Easy to make and perfect for chocolate lover's.This is also freezer friendly if you wanted to make into portions or make ahead for a party!
White Chocolate Salted Caramel Cheesecake is a delicious baked cheesecake, rich and creamy with a white chocolate filling and a salted caramel topping. Easy to make.
Limoncello Tiramisu. A delicious twist on the classic Italian coffee tiramisu dessert using blueberries, lemon, and limoncello, all homemade and perfect for parties.
Strawberry Shortcake Cake, a wonderful refreshing classic sponge cake packed with fresh strawberries and a whipped cream frosting.
April J Harrissays:
This looks amazing, Mary! What a beautiful, moist and delicious cake!
Can I skip the gelatin ?
Hi Dixie, the gelatin is used to stiffen the cream so it holds and also helps the life so it will Jeep longer. If you left it out, you will need to eatbthe cake within the same day otherwise the water will seep from the cream and it won’t be nice. Alternatively, you can use a cream stiffener which comes in sachets and simply add that to the cream before whipping.
Hope that helps.
On a side note, the gelatin does give a lovely silky texture to the cream once whipped!
Mmm,, love this, Mary ! Looks so decadent and I like the swirl in the cake !
Thanks very much Linda. Let’s have a slice with some coffee today!