Chocolate Almond Joy Cake, a delicious homemade buttermilk chocolate cake with almond and a whipped cream coconut frosting. An absolutely delicious soft and moist cake recipe.
This delicious Almond Joy Cake recipe has been generously shared by one of our biggest Lovefoodies supporters, Peggy Mitchell.
Peggy loves baking! Here, Peggy has used our basic chocolate cake recipe and adapted it to make this wonderful cake, and certainly worth celebrating with!
What is this cake made of?
This cake recipe is straightforward and easy to make. It comes in 3 layers, so you have 3 rich chocolate cakes, sandwiched with a lovely sweet filling made up of sweetened condensed milk and coconut flakes, and then frosted all over with butter and fresh whipped cream frosting, flavored with delicious creamy coconut.
The addition of almond extract in the cake, although a small quantity, is enough to lift the flavor and add another dimension to this cake.
A perfect cake for a celebration
It's definitely a cake to enjoy at a celebration, and the flavors and textures are out of this world!
This lovely coconut almond chocolate cake would be perfect to make for a birthday or anniversary celebration, and you can decorate it as fancy or simple as you wish.
Peggy has chosen to simply frost the cake all over then add a sprinkling of flaked almonds on the top. If you have the time and inclination, by all means, use a piping bag and make some fancy patterns on the top with the frosting. It's up to you!
Equipment you'll need
Three 8-inch round pans. You can use other sizes, beware of cook times.
Check out our handy Oven Temperature Conversion Guide!
14 - 16 Persons
Recipe by Peggy Mitchell
- Regular sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Almond extract
- All purpose flour
- Cocoa, unsweetened
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Coffee - room temperature (water can be substituted for the coffee but it's purpose is to enhance the chocolate flavor of the cocoa)
- Chocolate pudding (make as package instructions)
- Chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Coconut cream
- Whipping cream
Filling and garnishes
- Coconut Flakes
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Slivered almonds
See the recipe card below for quantities.
Make the cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 F, 180 C, Gas 4. Grease and flour three 8-inch round pans and set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, combine sugar, oil, eggs and almond extract; beat for 1 minute.
3. Gradually add remaining ingredients (alternating wet and dry) and beat for 2 to 3 minutes at medium speed.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for approximately 40 to 45 minutes or so until cake is done.
Cool for 5 minutes and carefully remove from pan(s).
8-inch and 9-inch cakes will bake in less time than 10-inch and 9 x 13 x 2-inch cakes so check for doneness.
Make the Filling
Mix coconut flakes and condensed milk in a bowl until fully combined and set aside.
Make the Frosting
Whip all ingredients minus powdered sugar till fluffy, then slowly add one cup at a time of powdered sugar till combined and fluffy.
To build the cake
Frost one layer of cake with frosting, then top with coconut mixture, and then sprinkle slivered almonds. Continue till the last layer is done then frost the entire cake.
Finally, top with almonds and enjoy
Chocolate Almond Joy Cake
Chocolate Almond JoyCake, a delicious homemade buttermilk chocolate cake with almond and a whippedcream coconut frosting. An absolutely delicious soft and moist cake recipe
- 2 cups or 400 g regular sugar
- 1 cup or 240 ml vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups or 380 g all purpose flour
- ¾ cup or 65 g cocoa, unsweetened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup or 235 ml coffee, room temperature (water can be substituted for the coffee but it's purpose is to enhance the chocolate flavor of the cocoa)
- 1 cup or 235 ml buttermilk
- 1 cups or 120 g of chocolate pudding, make as package instructions
- 2 cups or 400 g of chocolate chips
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- ½ cup whipping cream
Filling and garnishes:
- 1 oz x 16 package Coconut Flakes
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F, 180 C, Gas 4. Grease and flour three 8-inch round pans and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, combine sugar, oil, eggs and almond extract; beat 1 minute.
- Gradually add remaining ingredients (alternating wet and dry) and beat for 2 to 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for approximately 40 to 45 minutes or so until cake is done.
- Cool for 5 minutes and carefully remove from pan(s).
Make the Filling
- Mix coconut flakes & condensed milk in a bowl until fully combined and set aside.
Make the Frosting
- Whip all ingredients minus powdered sugar till fluffy, then slowly add one cup at a time of powdered sugar till combined and fluffy.
To build the cake
- Frost one layer of cake with frosting, then top with coconut mix, and then sprinkle slivered almonds. Continue till last layer is done then frost entire cake.
- Finally, top with almonds and enjoy
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and More
MEYKISS Cake Tester, Stainless Steel Cake Tester Probe Skewer Kitchen Baking Tools, Set of 2
Rachael Ray 54073 Yum -o! Nonstick Bakeware Baking Pan With Grips / Nonstick Cake Pan With Grips, Round - 9 Inch, Gray
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Cake Pan 9 x 13 Inch
Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick 8-Inch Square Cake Pans, Set of 2
Hiware Springform Pan Set of 3 Non-stick Cheesecake Pan, Leakproof Round Cake Pan Set Includes 3 Pieces 6" 8" 10" Springform Pans with 150 Pcs Parchment Paper Liners
Wilton Recipe Right Non-Stick 13 x 9-Inch Covered Oblong Baking Pan, Set of 2 Pans with Lids
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1283Total Fat: 72gSaturated Fat: 44gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 160gFiber: 13gSugar: 117gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Chocolate and Caramel Flavored Cakes
Here's a selection of lovely Chocolate and Caramel cakes for you to enjoy
Pecan Cake WIth Salted Caramel Frosting is an easy recipe giving you a soft, fluffy cake and a creamy frosting, perfect for any celebration!
Authentic German Black Forest Swiss Roll, a light sponge cake famous in Germany. Layers of chocolate cake, cherries, kirsch & fresh whipped cream in a cake roll.
Salted Caramel Celebration Cake is perfect for a party. Homemade layers of soft caramel cake and layers of salted caramel frosting then topped with chocolate covered pretzels and salted caramel popcorn.
Mini Caramel Cakes Soft and moist and oh so delicious!
Caramel Banana Bread. Add nuts like I did or leave them out. Either way it's delicious!
Old fashioned Oatmeal Cake with Caramel Icing A wonderful moist, fluffy, soft sheet cake, using oats and apple sauce. Tastes like carrot cake! Easy homemade recipe and a family favorite.
Chocolate Latte Cake. A soft and moist cake with the flavors of a latte coffee and a hit of chocolate for good measure! Nice and easy recipe too!
Chocolate Almond Pound Cake. Delicious, rich chocolate cake with added melted chocolate and ground almonds. Perfect as an afternoon tea cake or a dessert cake
Easy Chocolate Party Cake, a lovely easy cake recipe made from scratch with a lovely chocolate filling. Perfect for chocolate lovers!
Rich, moist chocolate loaf cake with chocolate chips & cocoa for a delicious, decadent cake. Easy, simple recipe, great for breakfast, snacks, afternoon tea
Dolly's Chocolate Chip Cake. Very easy recipe and a family favorite. Makes two loaves so perfect for gifts or freezing too.
Nanny's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cake is a keeper recipe! Easy to make and perfect for chocolate lover's.This is also freezer friendly if you wanted to make into portions or make ahead for a party!
Could you use a regular chocolate cake and then use the filling and frosting?