Oatmeal Cake With Caramel Icing. A wonderfully moist, fluffy, soft sheet cake, using oats and apple sauce. Tastes like carrot cake! Easy homemade recipe and a family favorite.
This oatmeal cake is great tasting, soft, moist, and incredibly easy to make.
The ingredients are made up of regular pantry ingredients, and it’s certainly an economical and budget-friendly recipe.
For this recipe, we’ve made it in a large sheet pan, so it’s perfect for a party, to take to a pot luck or if you’re baking for a lot of people. It’ll make around 12 to 18 slices.
It’s a traditional, old fashioned cake recipe. As you’ll probably know, many cakes back in the day were made using whatever ingredients were available in the pantry. Particularly when certain staples, such as sugar, butter, and other items were scarce or rationed. Grandma always came up with a good recipe!
The addition of the nutmeg and cinnamon spices lifts the cake to another level, giving it bags of flavor. The aroma when this is baking is out of this world!
This delicious recipe has been generously shared by one of our great cooks, Carina.
Carina says this cake is very easy to make, and if you’re wondering what it tastes like, well, it’s similar to a carrot cake.
It is quite a sweet cake, (Carina’s hubby has a very sweet tooth!) and Carina advises that you reduce the sugar in the frosting to your taste, or leave out completely and make a cream cheese frosting if you don’t like very sweet cakes. It’s up to you!
Needless to say, this cake is a hit with Cari’s family and especially hubby, who couldn’t wait to have a slice!
Recipe by Carina Duclos
⏲️ Prep time
⏲️ Baking time
18 – 22 minutes
👪 Serving size
9 x 13 sheet pan (approx 12 – 18 servings)
1-1/4 cups very hot milk
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Apple Sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
***PLEASE NOTE: This cake is VERY sweet! Feel free to reduce the amount of sugar in the cake ingredients by 1/2 if you prefer not so sweet.
The Caramel Icing
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk (depending on how runny you like your icing)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
*** Please note, you can reduce the sugar quantities by 1/3 to 1/2 according to taste.
You can always try a bit of the cake (from underneath) to taste for sweetness and then you can decide how sweet you would like to make the icing.
1. In a small bowl, pour boiling milk over oats; let stand 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
Gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the oats.
4. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
6. For icing, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
7. Gradually whisk in milk. Return to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute.
8. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
9. Immediately spread icing over cake.
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 1-1/4 cups very hot milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Apple Sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
The Caramel Icing
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 milk, depending how runny you like your icing
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, pour boiling milk over oats; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oats.
- Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs.Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Return to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Immediately spread icing over cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g