Brown Sugar Bread Pudding is a classic dessert and very flexible with add ons such as nuts, dried fruits, or just keep it simple. That addition of brown sugar and maple syrup makes this out of this world delicious! Freezer friendly too!
For this recipe, Carina made a couple of bread puddings, one with the addition of raisins in the mixture and one with walnuts on the topping.
Carina says she often switches the recipe and adds other dried fruits or nuts, depending on what she has at hand. So long as you stick to the basic recipe for the eggs, milk and bread, you can pretty much add other goodies to your liking.
This is a very easy bread pudding recipe, and ideal for using up any leftover bread. The pudding is made up of bread, an egg custard, and a variety of dried fruit and nuts. When these are all baked together, you end up with a wonderfully soft and sweet dessert.
This will also freeze very well, after cooling, and is handy if you need to make ahead, or perhaps cut into portions if you have a small family. Simply remove from the freezer and reheat either in the oven or microwave, whichever is easier for you.
Serve with a nice blob of ice cream, custard, whipped ream or simply enjoy on it's own!
Recipe by Carina Duclos
6 - 8 portions
5 cups of bread cubes
2 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup Maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 to 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/4 to 1/2 cup walnuts
3 to 4 Tablespoons Brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 9 x 11 inch pan.
2. Mix all the ingredients together apart from the Brown sugar and walnuts
3. Transfer to a baking pan and leave the mixture to soak for 15 minutes.
4. Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes then take out, sprinkle the brown sugar and walnuts over the top and return to the oven for a further 40 minutes of until golden.
5. When done, allow to rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour so it is easier to cut.
6. Once cooled, this can also be frozen and then reheated if you wanted to make ahead.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 5 cups of bread cubes
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons Brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 9 x 11 inch pan.
- Mix all the ingredients together apart from the Brown sugar and walnuts
- Transfer to a baking pan and leave the mixture to soak for 15 minutes.
- Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes then take out, sprinkle the brown sugar and walnuts over the top and return to the oven for a further 40 minutes of until golden.
- When done, allow to rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour so it is easier to cut.
- Once cooled, this can also be frozen and then reheated if you wanted to make ahead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate