Simple Rice Pudding is a wonderful easy family recipe, passed on through the generations. It's delicious! You can serve this hot from the oven or chilled, add some jam, or fruit such as peaches too.
It's a lovely creamy dessert, baked slowly in the oven, using very simple pantry ingredients. Always a hit with the family and the kiddies absolutely love this. So please enjoy our Dutch Rijstebrij or Rice Pudding recipe!
1 - 2 hours
3 - 4 Persons
9 x 13 pan (oven proof)
½ stick or 50 g butter
½ cup or 100 g short grained rice, like arborio, risotto or pudding rice
¼ cup or 50 g regular sugar
5 cups or 1 litre of fresh milk.
A shake of Nutmeg
A shake of Cinnamon
some strawberry jam
1. Set oven to 325 F, Gas 3, 160 C
2. Place rice, sugar and milk into the dish and stir to mix well.
3. Sprinkle some cinnamon & nutmeg over the mixture.
4. Break up the butter in to smaller pieces and roughly distribute over the mixture.
5. Bake for 1 - 2 hours and serve on it's own or add some jam. And there you have our easy Rijstebrij or Rice Pudding.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
If you like the rice pudding runny, check after 1 hour, if you like the pudding stiffer, and thicker, 1 ½ - 2 hours and it will be very thick. If you end up with your rice pudding too thick, add some milk heated through from the microwave and it will go loose again.
Delicious with Strawberry Jam. I like to eat mine cold too. Set in a bowl in the fridge overnight. When you bake it in the oven a skin will form on the top. If you don't like this, just remove it. But it does taste delicious.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- ½ stick or 50 g butter
- ½ cup or 100 g short-grained rice, like arborio, risotto or pudding rice
- ¼ cup or 50 g regular sugar
- 5 cups or 1 liter of fresh milk.
- 1 /2 tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp strawberry jam
- Set oven to 325 F, Gas 3, 160 C
- Place rice, sugar and milk into the dish and stir to mix well.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon & nutmeg over the mixture.
- Break up the butter in to smaller pieces and roughly distribute over the mixture.
- Bake for 1 - 2 hours and serve on it's own or add some jam.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 578mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate