Pecan Cake With Salted Caramel Frosting is an easy recipe giving you a soft, fluffy cake and a creamy frosting, perfect for any celebration!
Pecan Cake with salted caramel whipped cream frosting. This is one delicious cake that’s for sure!
I made this cake for a friend’s birthday and it was so popular I had people asking for the recipe so I decided to add it to our Lovefoodies collection of cake recipes.
The cake serves 10 – 12 slices, depending on how large you want the portions and will keep for a few days refrigerated. So if you wanted to make ahead, you could do that and simply take along to your party or serve at home with friends.
This pecan cake with salted caramel frosting is a perfect recipe for serving at a celebration, such as a birthday or an anniversary. Equally, it’s a good cake to enjoy at a potluck, gathering or over the holidays, such as Easter, Thanksgiving, Mother’s Day or Christmas.
As you can see in the photos, I’ve chosen to decorate the cake quite simply by using a piping bag to pipe the whipped cream frosting over the cake, then sprinkle some chocolate chips on the top and sides of the cake.
When you bite into the cake, you get a wonderfully soft, fluffy, moist cake, rich in pecan flavor, and a delicious contrast of creamy salted caramel from the frosting. This combination is absolutely delicious! Pair that with a lovely cup of your favorite coffee and enjoy!
The cake recipe uses the basic creaming method to make the batter.
This is what gives you an incredibly fluffy and light texture to the cake crumb. You need to make sure you cream the butter and sugar in your mixer until it goes a very pale color and all the sugar granules have dissolved. If you don’t mix until it is pale in color, you will likely end up with a denser textured cake.
The whipped cream frosting is delicious!
I find it not as rich as a full buttercream frosting, and the key to the flavor is the addition of salted caramel.
I would suggest you taste as you are making this so you are sure you have the right amount of sweetness to your liking when you’re adding the salted caramel.
I haven’t made the frosting overly sweet because I prefer it that way, so make sure you taste and add a little more caramel if you prefer sweeter.
Or you can make your own caramel by using our recipe here for Dulce De Leche. It’s very easy to make, it just takes a little time for cooking.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 – 35 minutes OR 1 hr for a loaf pan
Yield: 12 Persons
The Cake :
1 cup or 250 g butter, softened
1 cup or 200 g Regular or Castor Sugar
1 1/2 or 190 g cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 Cups or 140 g Finely Chopped Pecans
1 3/4 cups or 400 ml of whipping or heavy cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons gelatin powder
2 Tablespoons hot water
5 Tablespoons of Salted Caramel
3 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips to decorate (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 160 C, 325 F. Grease and lightly flour two 8 inches or 20 cm loose-bottomed round cake tins.
2. Sift flour, salt, and baking powder. Chop the pecans finely. Make sure the pieces are NO LARGER than pea size. Any bigger and they will sink to the bottom during baking.
3. Lightly beat eggs and add vanilla in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
** NOTE: Creaming the butter and sugar is VERY important to get a fluffy texture to the cake crumb. Please make sure you use your mixer and cream until you see the color of the butter turn almost white. It will take you around 5 – 7 minutes for this to happen, and it is worth the extra time taken!
4. Add egg mixture, a little at a time to the batter. Then add half the flour, then milk, then the rest of flour. Add the pecans and make sure they are well combined and distributed.
5. Transfer the cake batter mixture equally into the 2 baking tins and bake 30 – 35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. If using a loaf pan, keep the same temperature, and bake for about 1 hour to 1 hr 10 minutes. Again, check for doneness.
6. Allow the cakes to rest for 2 minutes then remove from pans and place UPSIDE DOWN on a cooling rack. Allow to COMPLETELY cool before frosting.
*** Please note, bake times will vary slightly so please check for doneness after 25 – 30 minutes of baking.
For the Whipped Cream Frosting:
7. Mix the gelatin in the hot water and let dissolve for 5 mins. Add a little cream into the gelatin mixture.
8. Whip the cream until soft peaks adding the sugar slowly. Add the vanilla extract. Then add the gelatin mixture and salted caramel and whip till stiff peaks.
9. Spread some frosting on the surface of one cake, place the other cake on top and frost the sides and top of the whole cake. Add mini chocolate chips to decorate.
Refrigerate for at least an hour for the frosting to firm up a little then serve with a nice latte coffee!
Note: You can simply spread the frosting or use a piping bag if you would like a pretty pattern. You choose!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our Pecan Cake With Salted Caramel Frosting recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Chocolate Latte Cake. A soft and moist cake with the flavors of a latte coffee and a hit of chocolate for good measure! Nice and easy recipe too!Continue Reading
Strawberry and Vanilla Cake. A soft and moist cake bursting with delicious strawberry and vanilla flavors. It tastes out of this world!Get the Recipe
Authentic German Black Forest Cake, Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte is a delicious cake famous in Germany. Layers of chocolate cake, black cherries and kirsch. Perfect for a party!Continue Reading
Carrot Cake Cheesecake. Simply a Show Stopping Wow!Continue Reading
Cheeky Toffee Caramel Cake - Always a show stopping jaw dropper!Continue Reading
Tiramisu Pound Cake, a soft and delicious pound cake with all the flavors of a Tiramisu! It's even got a mascarpone frosting. This will go fast so be sure to make two!Continue Reading
Almond Joy Cake. A delicious chocolate cake with almond and a coconut frosting. Always a hit and so popular!Continue Reading
Nanny's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cake is a keeper recipe! Easy to make and perfect for chocolate lover's.This is also freezer friendly if you wanted to make into portions or make ahead for a party!Continue Reading
- The Cake :
- 1 cup or 250 g butter, softened
- 1 cup or 200 g Regular or Castor Sugar
- 1 1/2 or 190 g cups AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 Cups or 140 g Chopped Pecans
- The frosting:
- 1 3/4 cups or 400 ml of whipping or heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 5 Tablespoons of Salted Caramel
- 3 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips to decorate (optional)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 689 Total Fat: 49g Saturated Fat: 24g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 22g Cholesterol: 179mg Sodium: 543mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 31g Protein: 9g