Strawberry and Vanilla Cake. A soft and moist cake bursting with delicious strawberry and vanilla flavors. It tastes out of this world! This is a wonderful cake, fun to make and of course delicious too!
For this lovely recipe, I've used a basic marble cake recipe idea in order to get the two-tone effect you see in the cake, of vanilla and strawberry marbled.
I wanted to create a cake that would taste just like strawberries and cream and one which would look pretty, but not overly fancy and fussy. With every bite, you get a taste of vanilla milkiness, combined with juicy, sweet strawberries.
The fresh whipped cream frosting in the middle layer and on the outside of the cake adds to a wonderful creaminess and when all combined in your mouth, well... it really is just so delicious! The texture of the cake is soft and fluffy, and of course it is nice and moist, you know I hate a dry cake!
This strawberry and vanilla cake is an easy recipe, and you could, if you wanted to, make a nice fancy frosting by piping decorations all over, or just do as I have done by keeping it simple and easy and still, in my opinion, a stunning looking cake.
This is a lovely cake for a birthday party or to take along to a celebration, potluck, BBQ or a gathering. If you're cooking for a crowd, for example at an event or perhaps a wedding reception, you could do this strawberry and vanilla cake in a sheet pan style.
Can I make this cake in a sheep cake pan?
For a 13inch sheet cake pan, I would suggest you double the recipe, and adjust the cook time. It will be a little more than if you were baking it in the round pans as per the recipe, so keep an eye on the timings! I would suggest checking the cake in your sheet pan after around 35 - 40 minutes and go from there.
For chocolate lovers, we have a similar style cake, Chocolate Latte Cake. Please do try it, it's so delicious and looks fabulous too!
Check out our handy Oven Temperature Conversion Guide!
So please enjoy our Strawberry and Vanilla Cake, it is a lovely, moist and soft cake and happy baking!
1 cup or 250 g butter, softened
1 cup or 200 g Regular or Castor Sugar
1 ½ cups or 190 g AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup or 60 ml milk
1 Cup or 150 g Fresh or frozen strawberries, mashed.
A handful of strawberries for decoration if you wish.
1 ¾ cups or 400 ml of whipping or heavy cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons gelatin powder
2 Tablespoons hot water
1. Preheat oven to 160 C, 325 F. Grease and lightly flour two 8 inches or 20 cm loose-bottomed round cake tins.
2. Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
3. Lightly beat eggs and add vanilla in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add egg mixture, a little at a time to the batter. Then add half the flour, then milk, then the rest of flour.
5. Divide cake batter mixture into 2 bowls. Add the mashed strawberries into one of the bowls and mix, together until all combined.
6. Alternate spoonfuls of vanilla and strawberry cake mixture into both tins. Use the end of a spoon handle to swirl around the mixture. *** Don't over swirl. You want to leave the batter so you can see the different colors. This is how you get the marbling effect in the cake once it is baked.
7. Bake 30 - 35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow the cakes to rest for 2 minutes then remove from pans and place UPSIDE DOWN on a cooling rack. Allow to COMPLETELY cool before frosting.
*** Please note, bake times will vary slightly so please check for doneness after 25 - 30 minutes of baking.
For the Whipped Cream Frosting
8. Mix the gelatin in the hot water and let dissolve for 5 mins. Add a little cream into the gelatin mixture.
9. Whip the cream until soft peaks adding the sugar slowly. Add the vanilla extract. Then add the gelatin mixture and whip till stiff peaks.
10. Spread some frosting on the surface of one cake, place the other cake on top and frost the sides and top of the whole cake. Arrange some strawberries or sprinkles on the top. You choose what you like!
Refrigerate for at least an hour for the frosting to firm up a little then serve with a nice cup of tea, and there you have our Strawberry and Vanilla Cake. Please enjoy!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our Strawberry and Vanilla Cake. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Strawberry and Vanilla Cake
Strawberry and Vanilla Cake. A soft and moist cake bursting with delicious strawberry and vanilla flavors. It tastes out of this world!
The Cake :
- 1 cup or 250 g butter, softened
- 1 cup or 200 g Regular or Castor Sugar
- 1 ½ cups or 190 g AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup or 60 ml milk
- 1 Cup or 150 g Fresh or frozen strawberries, mashed.
- A handful of strawberries for decoration if you wish.
- 1 ¾ cups or 400 ml of whipping or heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 160 C, 325 F. Grease and lightly flour two 8 inch or 20 cm loose bottomed round cake tins.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
- Lightly beat eggs and add vanilla in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add egg mixture, a little at a time to the batter. Then add half the flour, then milk, then the rest of flour.
- Divide cake batter mixture into 2 bowls. Add the mashed strawberries into one of the bowls and mix, together until all combined.
- Alternate spoonfuls of vanilla and strawberry cake mixture into both tins. Use the end of a spoon handle to swirl around the mixture. *** Don't over swirl. You want to leave the batter so you can see the different colours.
- Bake 30 - 35 mins or until skewer comes out clean. Allow the cakes to rest for 2 minutes then remove from pans and place UPSIDE DOWN on a cooling rack. Allow to COMPLETELY cool before frosting.
For the Whipped Cream !Frosting:
- Mix the gelatin in the hot water and let dissolve for 5 mins. Add a little cream into the gelatin mixture.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks adding the sugar slowly. Add the vanilla extract. Then add the gelatin mixture and whip till stiff peaks.
- Spread some frosting on the surface of one cake, place the other cake on top and frost the sides and top of the whole cake. Arrange some strawberries or sprinkles on the top. You choose what you like! Refrigerate for at least an hour for the frosting to firm up a little then serve with a nice cup of tea, and there you have our Strawberry and Vanilla Cake. Please enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 646Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 218mgSodium: 643mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 8g
Delicious Recipes using Strawberries
Here's a lovely selection of our most popular recipes using Strawberries
Classic English Strawberry Scones. Quick and Easy to make, moist, light, and fluffy! Perfect for High Tea or Afternoon Tea. This is a very popular recipe and for those searching for a good, reliable English scone recipe, this won't disappoint!
Strawberries and Cream Cheesecake Hearts, a creamy no bake fruity cheesecake recipe using fresh strawberries in the filling and topping. A great dessert for Valentine's Day or a Summer party.
Strawberry and Lemon Angel Food Cake. Strawberry and lemon angel food cake is a light and fluffy sponge type cake, sandwiched with lemon whipped cream and fresh strawberries. An easy recipe for a no fat cake. The best homemade angel cake recipe, perfect for dessert
French Fruit Tart With Pastry Cream is a wonderful homemade sweet French pastry (Pâte Sablée) tart case, filled with silky smooth creme patissiere and then decorated with a variety of fresh fruits. A French patisserie classic dessert and a showstopper for parties!
Easy strawberry and rhubarb cobbler is a delicious dessert bursting with sharp and sweet flavors from the fruit, with a generous buttery crumble topping
Red, white and blue trifle is an easy dessert perfect for July 4th celebrations. Delicious layers of cake, fresh blueberries and strawberries, jello and whipped cream
Easy Strawberry and Lemon Trifle, quick simple dessert recipe with layers of fresh strawberries, lemon whipped cream, vanilla pudding and lady’s fingers. Great for parties and holidays
Easy Strawberry French Yogurt Cake
Delicious juicy strawberries, soft and moist, incredibly easy made from scratch cake recipe, great as a tea time snack
Strawberry Tiramisu. A wonderful chilled dessert, using fresh strawberries and very easy to prepare
No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake -A lovely dessert and always popular any time of year!
Strawberry Crescent Roll Cheesecake Bars. An incredibly easy and fuss free recipe with cream cheese and strawberry filling sandwiched between layers of pastry. This tastes amazing!
Strawberry Pound Cake. A delicious recipe bursting with fresh strawberries. Soft, moist and perfect with a morning coffee or to take to friends!
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler. This is a delicious dessert, and flexible with the fillings so you could swap the fruits to your choice!
Great served warm with some whipped cream or ice cream and also freezer friendly. Yummy!
Strawberry and Coconut Ricotta Cheesecake. A delicious fluffy, creamy baked cheesecake with fresh strawberries and coconut in the filling and topped with a fresh strawberry puree. Very easy recipe too!
Easy Strawberry Upside-down Cake is REALLY EASY! Uses simple ingredients and the cake turns out soft and fantastic tasting.
Easy Strawberry and Coconut Trifle. An incredibly easy and great tasting dessert sure to please!
Fluffy Strawberry Mousse. Creamy, fluffy and great tasting! Easy recipe!
Homemade Strawberry Pudding is so delicious! Made from scratch using fresh ingredients and no additives or artificial coloring. Makes for a great dessert hot or cold.
Easy Creamy Strawberry Ice Cream uses regular fresh ingredients to make a creamy ice cream bursting with strawberries. Very easy homemade recipe
Easy Creamy Milkshakes, a variety of Strawberry, Banana or Salted Caramel. Perfect for parties and picnics and a hit with the family too!
Creamy Strawberry Coconut Pie.
This Strawberry Coconut Pie is made up of a crispy cookie case, filled with delicious creamy coconut custard, and laced throughout with juicy strawberries.
Dreamy Strawberry Dessert, delicious layers of sponge, pureed strawberries, homemade strawberry pudding and fresh strawberries , topped with freshly whipped cream.
Strawberry Shortcake Cake, a wonderful refreshing classic sponge cake packed with fresh strawberries and a whipped cream frosting.
I made the cake by following the recipe to a t and my cakes came out flat
That is not enough flour! Should that say 3+ cups of flour? There is no way that 1.5 cups of flour will produce a double layer cake.
This recipe does not work
In what way?
What size eggs for the recipe ?
Would it effect anything if I made one tin all strawberry and left the other all vanilla?Looks amazing, want to make for my daughters birthday.