Spinach Cream Cheese Filo Nests. An incredibly flexible quick and easy recipe, great for brunches, parties lunch boxes. Options to add bacon, chicken for the meat lovers too!
Spinach Cream Cheese Filo Nests! These are a wonderful snack, suitable for a brunch or supper, parties, lunch boxes... or indeed anytime!
The recipe is incredibly easy and quick and flexible, so you can add some cooked bacon, chicken, ham, grated cheese,fresh herbs. Really, the possibilities are endless, so have a play around and see what kinds of ingredients your family enjoys, or what ever is left in your fridge!
The pastry used is filo pastry. This is a very thin, light and crispy pastry with no fat in it. The filling does have cream cheese, but you can choose for low-fat if you wished.
8 oz Cream Cheese, Room Temperature 1 Cup Cooked Spinach, Drained 1/2 Cup Chopped Onions 1/2 cup Chopped Peppers 1 Egg Salt and Pepper 1 Roll Filo Pastry
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease the inside of a muffin tray as well as the surface.
2. In a bowl, add all the ingredients and combine.
3. Take the filo pastry from the package and lay unrolled on the table. Using a sharp knife, cut through the pastry so it is in quarters.
4. Take 4 - 5 layers of your quartered cut pastry and push in to each muffin cavity. The sides will overhang (that is why you need to also grease the surface of the pan. The pastry will stick!)
5. Fill each nest with the spinach mixture and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before you remove from the pan. The filling will firm up as it begins to cool.
Optional: Brush the pastry with melted butter.
NOTE: When working with filo pastry, it will dry out very quickly, so it is a good idea to have a clean, damp tea towel and cover the pastry when you are not using it. Once it dries out, it is impossible to shape.
Options: Add some cooked, chopped bacon or chicken to the filling, or your favorite herbs, spices, grated cheese.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Spanish Omelette Casserole. A very easy and flexible baked casserole with eggs, cheese, potatoes and sausage. Suggestions for you to choose other ingredients to make it just how you like! Great for using up leftover roast dinners like turkey too!
Creamy Garlic Chicken Livers and Mushrooms. Pan-fried tender chicken livers and mushrooms in a creamy garlic sauce is a great brunch or supper dish. Delicious served on hot buttered toast. Very quick and easy recipe
Avocado Egg Salad is a wonderfully easy recipe and very quick to make. Serve as a salad in a bowl or with some crusty bread warm from the oven. Delicious! Great for brunch, lunch or supper or party food!