Hotel Style Classic Club or Clubhouse Sandwiches, toasted layers of bread filled with bacon, chicken, lettuce, and tomato. A delicious classic sandwich recipe, perfect for brunch or lunch.
What is a Classic Club Sandwich?
The club or clubhouse sandwich was first developed in America sometime in the 1890s, with various member's clubs (hence the name) laying claim to being the first creator.
What are the layers for a club sandwich?
A classic clubhouse sandwich comprises of three layers of tasted bread with cooked chicken, ham or bacon, lettuce, and tomato, bound with a simple mayonnaise. Because the sandwich has 3 layers, it's usually held together with cocktail sticks and cut into quarters in triangles.
When do you eat club sandwiches?
Ideally by a poolside in a hotel when the sun is shining and you have a parasol over you and a pina colada in one hand.
Joking aside, these club sandwiches are great to serve at an afternoon tea, or a party, buffet or take to a potluck. But be warned, they do go fast, are very popular so you'll need to make plenty!
I often make these for a late brunch, they're filling and should tide you over right through to supper time.
So let's get straight to the recipe and see how to make a classic clubhouse sandwich. Enjoy!
Ingredients you'll need
- Chicken Breast, Cooked. You can also use chicken thigh meat. If you have any leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, use that instead of chicken!
- Bacon, cooked
- Iceberg Lettuce - you can also use other lettuce leaves if you prefer. In the photos, we've used rocket leaves to add a peppery taste.
- Tomatoes - Vine tomatoes are the sweetest
- Salt and pepper
- White Bread, toasted - You can use brown
- Sandwich toothpicks - these are used to hold the sandwiches together
- Potato Chips - ready salted
- Butter for spreading on the bread
See the recipe card below for quantities.
1. Prepare the cooked chicken by slicing it into bite-sized pieces.
2. Cook the bacon and pat dry from fat on some kitchen paper.
3. Prepare the tomatoes by slicing them thinly.
4. Take 2 - 3 leaves of iceberg lettuce and wash if needed.
5. Toast the bread and allow to cool then spread butter on one side of each slice.
Build the sandwich
6. Starting with toast on the bottom, add the chicken, and some mayonnaise (amount to your liking), then add some lettuce. Season with salt and pepper.
- go easy on the salt incase your bacon is particularly salty.
7. Add another slice of toast on top.
8. Add the bacon, some more mayonnaise, and then sliced tomatoes.
9. Add the 3rd slice of toast.
10. Take a sharp knife and slice the sandwich diagonally, on both sides so you end up with triangles.
11. Push a cocktail stick right through each quarter of the sandwich and arrange it on a serving plate. Add some potato chips to serve alongside your club sandwich.
Repeat the above for the second sandwich
You can change the layers and mix the ingredients up a bit, it doesn’t need to be in the exact order listed above. So long as you have chicken, bacon, lettuce and tomato, you’ll have a club sandwich!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Classic Club Sandwich
Hotel Style Club Sandwiches, toasted layers of bread filled with bacon, chicken, lettuce and tomato. A delicious classic sandwich recipe, perfect for brunch or lunch
- 1 Chicken Breast, Cooked
- 4 Rashers of bacon, cooked
- 3-4 leaves Iceberg Lettuce
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 4 Slices White Bread, toasted
- 4 Sandwich toothpicks
- 2 Cups potato Chips
- Butter for spreading on the bread
- Prepare the cooked chicken by slicing into bite sized pieces.
- Cook the bacon and pat dry from fat on some kitchen paper.
- Prepare the tomatoes by slicing thinly.
- Take 2 - 3 leaves of iceberg lettuce and wash if needed.
- Toast the bread and allow to cool then spread butter on one side of each slice.
- Build the sandwich, starting with toast on the bottom, add the chicken, and some mayonnaise (amount to your liking), then add some lettuce.
- Add another slice of toast on top.
- Add the bacon, some more mayonnaise and then sliced tomatoes
- Add the 3rd slice of toast.
- Take a sharp knife and slice the sandwich diagonally, both sides so you end up with triangles.
- Push a cocktail stick right through each quarter of sandwich and arrange on a serving plate. Add some potato chips to serve alongside your club sandwich.
Repeat the above for the second sandwich,
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1076Total Fat: 56gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 38gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 1760mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 49g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Easy Snacks For Parties
Here's a selection of easy snacks you can make for parties, celebrations, gamedays, potlucks and gatherings
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms. This is a very quick, easy and delicious recipe, perfect as a side, serve on toast for brunch, or add to some lovely pasta!
Spinach and Feta Galette, a delicious open pastry savory pie filled with Greek feta cheese creamy spinach and tomatoes, then baked until set. Great served warm or chilled.
Stuffed Potato Dumplings. A twist on the classic Swedish Kroppkakor dumplings, using leftover potatoes, stuffed with a choice of fillings, boiled & pan fried. Popular supper or party food.
Easy Homemade Meatballs.
A quick and easy recipe for how to make homemade meatballs from scratch using simple ingredients. Baked in the oven, fuss-free recipe giving you soft and juicy meatballs every time.
Taco Pizza, delicious homemade pizza dough with toppings of a taco! Tasty seasoned ground beef, onions, garlic, olives, tomato sauce, topped with cheese, sour cream and lettuce.
Mac N Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms is so delicious! Easy to make and great for parties or as an appetizer. Baked mushrooms stuffed with a creamy macaroni and cheese filling with bacon too!
Mac N Cheese Party Bites are a great little snack, perfect for parties and snacks. No frying either! Macaroni, cheese, bacon and crabmeat in delicious panko breadcrumbs. YUMMY!
Quick Grilled Chicken Burger
Quick and easy juicy grilled chicken breast, seasoned with herbs, in a toasted brioche bun, layered with crisp lettuce. Perfect for lunch or dinner
Breaded Chicken Skewers. These are a wonderful little appetizer or party food. Quick and easy to make and juicy to the bite too! Serve warm with your favorite dips. These always go fast at parties so be sure you make plenty!
Classic Seafood Cocktail Sauce
A delicious seafood cocktail sauce, mild yet tangy, the perfect accompaniment to prawns, lobster, and ideal for serving as a dipping sauce or to add to a prawn cocktail.
Deluxe Chicken and Bacon Salad Wraps. These little wraps are great for parties, lunches, suppers, or any time! It's a great way to use up left over chicken (or turkey), and the recipe is nice and easy, with no fuss. Delicious!
Cheesy Sausage and Jalapeno Scones or Biscuits are so light and fluffy! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, dinner, picnics and parties. Freezer friendly too!
Cheesy Chicken Panini Sandwich
Grilled Chicken sandwiches filled with melting cheese, using leftover cooked chicken. Serve warm for lunch or supper.
Homemade Mini Meat Pies have a delicious flaky pie crust, are simple and quick to make and great for lunch boxes, parties, picnics and snacks. freezer friendly too!
Festive Jack Daniel's Stuffing Balls, a perfect snack, appetizer or side to your Thanksgiving or Christmas menu. Juicy pork, flavored with Jack Daniel's, cranberry and chestnuts to give you a lovely Festive feeling.
Nanny's Easy Jalapeno Pepper Jelly Great recipe and delicious served on crackers with cream cheese!
Steak Bakes (like Savory hand pies!). Delicious mini puff pastry pies using leftover fillings from your pot roasts, casseroles and roast dinners! Really easy to make and great for lunches or as part of a dinner
Cheesy Pretzel Bites. These Cheesy Pretzel Bites are made using pizza dough, easy and quick recipe. Ideal Game Day party food and eating with hot dips. Recipe for savory and sweet pretzels.
Quick and Easy Garlic Bread. This is a really fuss free recipe, and great for one person or indeed a party. You can make ahead and freeze. Great for parties, serve with a nice chili or soup, pasta, on it's own.. the list is endless!
Bacon Wrapped Dates. These make for wonderful party food or part of a Tapas meal and incredibly easy to make. the sweet and salty flavor combination is so delicious!
Oh So Good Jack Daniel's Chicken Wings are fabulous! They're easy to prepare, suitable for grilling or oven and taste out of this world with a great marinade. Always a hit at parties!
Crispy Beer Battered Shrimp. Oh boy.. these are delicious! Light and crispy batter, don't forget the dip and be sure to make plenty cos once you start eating these you won't be able to stop!
Sausage and Red Onion Chutney Rolls are so delicious! Easy to make, freezer friendly and great for snacks, lunchboxes and parties!
Delicious Shrimp or Salmon Vol Au Vents, Mini Puff Pastry Cups are very easy to make and perfect for parties as canapes, appetizers, and snacks. Perfect to make ahead too!
Sesame Shrimp or Prawn Toasts. These are a very popular little Asian appetizer, great for parties, or to have as a side with a nice soup. Easy recipe and budget friendly too!
Nanny Chan's Mild Curry Puffs with a delicous mild spiced filling of ground meat wrapped in a flaky pastry. Great as a snack, appetizer or party food!
Homemade Fried Chicken Tenders are tender juicy pieces of chicken breast coated buttermilk then seasoned flour to give you great-tasting chicken.
Best Ever Pico De Gallo, Salsa Fresca, a delicious Mexican salsa, quick and easy to make with refreshing flavors of lime, jalapenos, tomatoes, and cilantro. Absolutely delicious!
Spanish Meatballs in Garlic Tomato Sauce, Albondigas is a lovely easy dish typically served as Tapas in bars. Great for party food, main meals and appetizers!
Mojo Picante, Spanish Red Pepper Sauce.This is a lovely tasting sauce popular in the Canary Islands. Serve with Tapas, goes great with seafood, chicken, and pork.
Champinones Al Ajillo, Spanish Garlic Mushrooms is a wonderful Tapas dish, often served as party food. It's really easy and quick to make too!
Easy Sausage Puffs, deliciously seasoned sausage meat wrapped in crispy puff pastry and baked. Easy recipe, great for parties, lunch boxes, picnics. Eat warm or cold, they're so tasty!
Cheesy Bacon and Tomato Mini Pizzas, very quick and easy to make and also flexible with your favorite toppings. Serve as party food, appetizers or a light brunch, lunch boxes.. the sky's the limit! Great for making ahead and freezing.
Easy Melba Toast is great for appetizers, parties and makes a perfect homemade cracker, perfect for cheese, spreads, dips and cold cuts.
Tear and Share Pizza is a delicious recipe made using biscuit dough, mozzarella, pepperoni and pizza sauce. Simply tear a piece off and pass around with your friends and family
Homemade Chicken Croquettes, Small patties of creamy, buttery chicken-filled bites, coated in crispy breadcrumbs then fried. A popular Spanish Tapas dish