French Toast, A.K.A 'Eggy Bread" is soft bread, soaked in beaten egg and pan-fried in butter. Serve for breakfast or brunch with a selection of berries and a drizzle of honey
I love French Toast! In a nutshell, it is bread, soaked in egg and then cooked. That's all it is!
I have seen many recipes available, many of them good I am sure, with ingredients of this and that, instructions so long and complicated, it can put you off even wanting to make it!
So here, I have a no-frills, uncomplicated, quick recipe that you can whip up and lay on your breakfast or brunch table in under 10 minutes. After all, who wants to be busy rushing around getting kids off to school and being busy in the kitchen. So, the easier the better!
What can I serve with this French toast?
Here is my basic recipe, and you can add sugar, whipped cream, syrup, fresh fruits, honey, whip up some yogurt, or whatever you fancy!
You can cook in a nonstick pan with no oil or you can add butter. You can make this as diet-friendly or as indulgent as you like.
Ingredients you'll need
Eggs - Allow 1 egg per 1 slice of bread
Slices of bread - We use white bread but any bread to your liking is fine
Butter or oil - We prefer butter because it tastes way better!
Honey or Maple Syrup - This gives the French Toast some sweetness.
1. Using a large baking pan or dish (to fit the slices of bread), beat the egg
and place the cut slices of bread in the egg.
Turn the bread over so that both sides are coated and all the egg has been absorbed.
2. Heat pan with butter or oil, and when hot, add the bread slices and cook until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
📋 Recipe Card
- 1 egg
- 1 Slice Bread
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Oil
- Drizzle of Maple Syrup, honey, or a topping of your choice.
- Using a large baking pan (to fit the slices of bread), beat the egg and place the cut slices of bread in the egg.
- Turn the bread over so that both sides are coated and all the egg has been absorbed.
- Heat pan with butter or oil, and when hot, add the bread slices and cook until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup and a selection of fresh berries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 217mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate