Polish Cabbage and Noodles, Haluski. A very comforting and hearty Eastern European meal made up of noodles, cabbage, sausage and garlic.
This is a wonderful recipe. It's very quick and easy to prepare and taste out of this world.
What is Haluski?
Haluski is a Noodles and Cabbage dish of Polish and Slovakian origin. It's a rustic, Central and Eastern European comfort food dish, made up of thick noodles or dumplings and really easy to make.
The ingredients are straightforward and this will feed even the hungriest of people!
This dinner is certainly a very quick recipe to make and also budget-friendly.
So if you're pushed for time you could even make up a big batch and have it the following day too or take to work in a food flask!
This is also a great recipe to serve up for a crowd, say for a buffet.
You can just make up a huge pot of garlic cabbage and noodles, even with or without the sausage if you have any vegetarians dining with you and everyone can help themselves!
This recipe has been kindly shared by Cathy Kopp, who has several Polish recipes, all of which are so popular with her family.
Here's what Cathy said about her Polish Cabbage and Noodles, Haluski recipe;
It's so good! Quite comforting and very stick to your ribs hearty.
Haluski is the Polish name for this. I add my cabbage in two steps so that some of it wilts down but the rest keeps a crisper bite.
We've got a variety of pasta recipes so be sure to check them out.
So without further ado, let's get straight to the recipe and start cooking!
4 - 6 Persons
8 ounces egg noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound kielbasa (or sausage of your choice), sliced
4 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 large head of cabbage, chopped and divided in half
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen peas
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Cook egg noodles in boiling water for 2 minutes less than the package directions say. Drain and set aside.
2. Brown the sausage slices in olive oil.
3. Add the butter and onion to the sausage.
Cook until the butter melts and the onions soften; stirring to pick up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the garlic and half the cabbage.
Stir until coated with butter then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the peas, the other half of the cabbage, and the noodles. Stir to combine, cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste, serve, and enjoy!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our Polish Cabbage and Noodles, Haluski recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
For more authentic Polish Recipes, check out this website, Polish Cooking. there's everything from mains to cookies!
📋 Recipe Card
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound kielbasa, sliced, or sausage of your choice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 in large head of cabbage, chopped and divided half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Cook egg noodles in boiling water for 2 minutes less than the package directions say. Drain and set aside.
- Brown the sausage slices in olive oil.
- Add the butter and onion to the sausage. Cook until the butter melts and the onions soften; stirring to pick up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the garlic and half the cabbage. Stir until coated with butter then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the peas, the other half of the cabbage, and the noodles. Stir to combine, cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 1077mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 14g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate