Easy Hot Cross Buns are a wonderfully soft, sweet, spiced bun, traditionally made for Easter time. Serve warm or cold, split open, toast, and spread some butter and your favorite jam! Delicious!
These are a lovely soft roll, with a gentle taste of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. The buns are peppered with raisins, so with every bite of a hot cross bun, you get a burst of warm spices and juicy raisins.
This delicious Buns recipe has been generously shared by one of our great cooks, Adelenne. Here, Adelenne has made a batch of Hot Cross Buns, just in time for Easter.
What do Hot Cross Buns have in them?
These buns are a soft, spiced sweet bun made with currants or raisins and marked with a cross on the top, traditionally eaten on Good Friday in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Canada.
How do you eat hot cross buns
Some people split them in half and toast them, adding butter and jam, and some just simply eat them plain as they are.
Can you freeze hot cross buns?
The hot cross buns are freezer friendly too. So if you made a batch and wanted to freeze some for a later date, maybe even make ahead for a picnic or lunch boxes, then just defrost to room temperature or even pop them in the oven for 5 minutes to warm through if you prefer them warm!
They certainly are delicious and incredibly easy to make. The smells when these are baking are just wonderful!
For these hot cross buns, Adelenne has made the bread by hand, it's simple enough so you don't need to use a stand mixer to knead the dough.
So let's get straight to the recipe and see how easy it is to make some hot cross buns! Please enjoy and Happy Easter to you!
Recipe by Adelenne Lee
1 hr 10 mins
12 large or 24 small rolls
1 & ¼ cup warm milk
¼ cup castor sugar **** If you can't get castor sugar, use regular sugar. It just takes a little longer to dissolve.
4 tsp instant yeast
3 & ¾ cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
1 & ½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
¼ tsp clove powder
½ stick or ¼ cup butter
1 cup raisins
The glaze and topping
¼ cup AP flour
¼ cup water
2 tbsp apricot jam (warmed)
1. Place the milk, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside for 10 mins or until it's frothy.
2. Sift flour, salt and spices in a large bowl then rub the butter in the flour mixture with fingers until it's crumbly.
3. Make a well in the middle of the mixture, then stir in the eggs and yeast mixture.
Then add the raisins. Combine until a dough forms.
You can use a wooden spoon or a stand mixer.
4. Put dough on a floured surface and knead for about 5 mins until dough is smooth and elastic.
5. Put dough in an oiled large bowl and cover with cling wrap.
Set aside in a warm place for about 45 mins or until doubled in size.
When it's doubled in size, remove the cover and punch down the dough.
6. Knead again till smooth and divide into 12 large rolls (use a greased 8" x 12" tray) or 24 rolls ( use a greased 10" x 16 " tray).
I used the latter cos I prefer smaller rolls.
7. Set aside for another 15-20 mins for rolls to rise.
8. Preheat oven to 200 C or 400 F.
9. When rolls have risen, use the flour and water to make a smooth paste and pipe lines across all the rolls to make the crosses (like in my photo).
10. Bake for 10 mins then reduce the temperature to 180 C or 350 F and bake a further 15 mins.
11. Remove from oven and while it's still warm, brush rolls with warm apricot jam.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our hot cross buns recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Hot Cross Buns
Hot Cross Buns are a lovely soft, spiced sweet roll, and traditionally made at Easter time, simply split apart and spread with butter and jam. They're lovely eaten warm from the oven or split and toasted. Nowadays, these are enjoyed all year round! Very easy to make and freezer friendly.
- 1 & ¼ cup warm milk
- ¼ cup castor sugar **** If you can't get castor sugar, use regular sugar. It just takes a little longer to dissolve.
- 4 tsp instant yeast
- 3 & ¾ cups AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 & ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- ½ cup stick or ¼ butter
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs
The glaze and topping:
- ¼ cup AP flour
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbs apricot jam, warmed
- Place the milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Stir till the sugar is dissolved. Set aside for 10 mins or until it's frothy.
- Sift flour, salt and spices in a large bowl then rub the butter in the flour mixture with fingers until it's crumbly.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture, then stir in the eggs and yeast mixture. Then add the raisins. Combine until a dough forms. You can use a wooden spoon or a stand mixer.
- Put dough on a floured surface and knead for about 5 mins until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put dough in an oiled large bowl and cover with cling wrap. Set aside in a warm place for about 45 mins or until doubled in size. When it's doubled in size, remove cover and punch down the dough.
- Knead again till smooth and divide into 12 large rolls (use a greased 8" x 12" tray) or 24 rolls ( use a greased 10" x 16 " tray). I used the latter cos I prefer smaller rolls.
- Set aside for another 15-20 mins for rolls to rise.
- Preheat oven to 200 C or 400 F.
- When rolls have risen, use the flour and water to make a smooth paste and pipe lines across all the rolls to make the crosses (like in my photo).
- Bake for 10 mins then reduce the temperature to 180 C or 350 F and bake a further 15 mins.
- Remove from oven and while it's still warm, brush rolls with warm apricot jam.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 3
Anolon 54717 Advanced Nonstick Bakeware with Grips, Nonstick Cookie Sheet / Baking Sheet - 14 Inch x 16 Inch, Gray
Etekcity Digital Kitchen Scale Weight Grams and Oz for Baking and Cooking, Stainless Steel(Upgraded)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Delicious Bread Recipes
Here's a selection of delicious bread recipes you can make at home.
ALOHA BREAD! I made the recipe super easy for you, the rolls are sweet, soft, and oh yes..... they even say Aloha when you bite into them!
Cheesy Pretzel Bites. These Cheesy Pretzel Bites are made using pizza dough, easy and quick recipe. Ideal Game Day party food and eating with hot dips. Recipe for savory and sweet pretzels.
Pani Popo (Samoan Coconut Bread Rolls).
Pani Popo are deliciously soft, fluffy Samoan coconut bread buns, baked in a sweet and thick coconut sauce. Sticky soft bread rolls, ideal for breakfast, dessert or as a snack
Mini Donut Balls.
Delicious homemade mini donut balls, rolled in cinnamon and sugar, using a poolish starter to give tender and flavorful dough. Easy recipe and great for parties
No-Knead Heritage Bread recipe, a lovely soft bread, a mix of white and whole wheat flour, and a variety of seeds. Delicious served warm with a big bowl of soup or simply in slices with a generous spread of butter.
Easy Rye Bread. This is a lovely straightforward bread recipe for rye bread which gives you a soft bread texture. Great to eat on it's own or use for sandwiches. Freezer friendly too!
Homemade Sweet Beer Bread, very easy recipe using just 4 ingredients, soft, slightly sweet bread, ideal with soups, dips, or simply a spread of butter on a slice.
Soft Bread Rolls. Make up a batch of these to go with your BBQ, salads etc. These are light, soft and freezer friendly too!
Bannock Fry Bread Taco. Easy recipe and great for parties, game nights etc
Orange Brioche bread, luxuriously soft and buttery, with a hint of orange throughout.Great for snacks, sandwiches, French Toast or to simply eat warm from the oven as they are.
Cinnamon Raisin Bread. A nice easy bread to make, using your bread maker or oven. Delicious toasted and served warm with some butter. This is also great to make French Toast, YUMMY!
The Best Homemade Challah Bread ever! Soft and so delicious, braided Jewish bread with poppy and sesame seeds. Popular on Sabbath and Jewish holidays
Garlic & Herb Flat Bread. A wonderful easy recipe which is versatile enough to allow you to choose the herbs and flavors you enjoy the most!
Crusty Philadelphia Italian Bread,easy homemade recipe and great for Cheese Steak Sandwiches, cutting into slices and using in dips..fantastic party food too!
Orange and Cinnamon Swirly Bread
Orange and Cinnamon Swirly Bread, made from scratch, easy recipe. Soft, sticky, creamy, rolls, perfect for the holiday season, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Thyme & Sun dried Tomato Bread. A lovely bread recipe, great to have on it's own or with a salad, cold cuts, or soup!
BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE SWIRLY BREAD .... oh my! Seriously soft, sticky, creamy yummy! Happy baking!
How To Make Gozleme, Turkish Bread.
Learn how to make Gozleme, Turkish Bread. It's a type of flatbread, filled with a variety of savory ingredients and often eaten as street food. Easy step by step recipe for a delicious snack
Easy Cinnamon Rolls. A deliciously sweet, soft sticky bun with a great vanilla glaze. These are so delicious warm from the oven with some maple syrup poured over too!
Bacon & Cheese Soft Rolls - Super delicious when eaten fresh from the oven when the cheese is melting!
Light, fluffy, soft, vanilla custard filled buns. Eat these sweet bread buns warm or cold, I like them just from the oven! Freezer friendly too
Delicious English Muffins. English bread recipe, often eaten for breakfast. Serve warm with butter! You can eat these sweet or savory! Freezer friendly too! Simple recipe
Cinnamon & Raisin English Muffins - Delicious opened and served warm with a nice spread of butter on each half! Easy stove top recipe.
Tear and share garlic parmesan bread, loaded with cheese and garlic, using refrigerated biscuits, baked in a bundt pan. A perfect side dish to share at a party
Tear and Share Pizza is a delicious recipe made using biscuit dough, mozzarella, pepperoni and pizza sauce. Simply tear a piece off and pass around with your friends and family
Montreal Style Bagels, delicious homemade bagels. A wonderful soft bread, sweetened with honey and topped with sesame seeds. Easy instructions and freezer friendly too!
I follow instructions bring came out great but the bake time was to much next time I will lessen time by five minutes.
Please what is AP flour.
Hi Julie, AP flour is all purpose flour or plain flour. Hope that helps!
Loved the Hot Cross Buns they turned out nice and fluffy. Tried another recipe and they were denser. I added some cardamon and increased the cinnamon, plus added some citrus peel and reduced the raisins to equal the 1 cup.
Great recipe I added sweetened coconut and I also soaked my raisins in orange juice until it was time to add them to the flour mix.