Delicious homemade mini donut balls, rolled in cinnamon and sugar, using a poolish starter to give tender and flavorful dough. Easy recipe and great for parties.
Mini Donut Balls! Everyone likes donuts and these little mini ones are just perfect for a party, buffet or movie night.
Here, Adelenne has made them and coated with cinnamon and sugar. However, you could go wild with your imagination, dipping them in melted chocolate or icing, whatever takes your fancy!
For this recipe, we've used a pooler starter, which gives a great flavor and texture to the donuts.
You may be curious what a Poolish starter is so we've answered a few common questions below.
What is Poolish starter?
Poolish is a leavening method used in baking. It is a pre-ferment that makes baked goods soft, fragrant and gives more flavor, especially when used for pizzas and breads.
How is Poolish made?
Poolish is made by mixing water, flour and yeast together, in different proportions
Is Poolish the same as sourdough starter?
Poolish is a version of a sourdough starter, whils it is different in texture, it is more like a wet spongy texture. For a yeast starter, it's a very simple method and doesn't take long to make.
Recipe by Adelenne Lee
2 ½ hrs (includes rise time)
3 - 5 minutes
maximum 50 small donuts (depends on how small you make them! )
250g or 2 cups plain flour
55g or ¼ cup castor sugar, plus more of rolling doughnuts in
½ Tablespoon dried yeast
5 teaspoons butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp salt
oil for frying
5 egg yolks, beaten
5g or ½ Tablespoon dried yeast
100g or ¾ cup plain flour
100ml or ½ cup warm water
First make the poolish (starter)
From the Poolish ingredients,
1. Dissolve the dried yeast in warm water and mix in the flour.
2. Leave to rest in a warm place for about 15 mins. It will be bubbly.
When ready, from the main ingredients,
1. Mix the flour, sugar, yeast, salt together. Add the yolks, poolish and butter to a soft dough, add a bit of water if needed.
2. Knead the dough for 10-15 mins. Then place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise for two hours, or until doubled in size.
3. Knead the dough onto a slightly floured surface for a few seconds, then roll into small balls, smaller than a golf ball size. Leave for 10 mins before frying.
4. Heat oil in a deep saucepan or until a piece of cubed bread browns in a minute. When the oil is hot enough and the bread cube turns golden, carefully lower a few doughnuts at a time into the oil. They will sink then rise to the surface.
5. Wait till they are brown, carefully spoon some of the hot oil over to brown them evenly.
6. Drain then, while still warm, roll them in sugar mixed with a little cinnamon.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Mini Donut Balls
Delicious homemade mini donut balls, rolled in cinnamon and sugar, using a poolish starter to give tender and flavorful dough. Easy recipe and great for parties
- 250 g or 2 cups plain flour
- 55 g or ¼ cup castor sugar, plus more of rolling doughnuts in
- ½ Tablespoon dried yeast
- 5 teaspoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp salt
- oil for frying
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- cinnamon powder
- 5 g or ½ Tablespoon dried yeast
- 100 g or ¾ cup plain flour
- 100 ml or ½ cup warm water
From the Poolish ingredients,
- Dissolve the dried yeast in warm water and mix in the flour.
- Leave to rest in a warm place for about 15 mins. It will be bubbly.
When ready, from the main ingredients,
- Mix the flour, sugar, yeast, salt together. Add the yolks, poolish and butter to a soft dough, add a bit of water if needed.
- Knead the dough for 10-15 mins. Then place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise for two hours, or until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough onto a slightly floured surface for a few seconds, then roll into small balls, smaller than a golf ball size. Leave for 10 mins before frying.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan or until a piece of cubed bread browns in a minute. When the oil is hot enough and the bread cube turns golden, carefully lower a few doughnuts at a time into the oil. They will sink then rise to the surface.
- Wait till they are brown, carefully spoon some of the hot oil over to brown them evenly.
- Drain then, while still warm, roll them in sugar mixed with a little cinnamon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 50 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 46Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 55mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Delicious Bread Recipes
Here's a selection of delicious bread recipes you can make at home.
ALOHA BREAD! I made the recipe super easy for you, the rolls are sweet, soft, and oh yes..... they even say Aloha when you bite into them!
Cheesy Pretzel Bites. These Cheesy Pretzel Bites are made using pizza dough, easy and quick recipe. Ideal Game Day party food and eating with hot dips. Recipe for savory and sweet pretzels.
Pani Popo (Samoan Coconut Bread Rolls).
Pani Popo are deliciously soft, fluffy Samoan coconut bread buns, baked in a sweet and thick coconut sauce. Sticky soft bread rolls, ideal for breakfast, dessert or as a snack
No-Knead Heritage Bread recipe, a lovely soft bread, a mix of white and whole wheat flour, and a variety of seeds. Delicious served warm with a big bowl of soup or simply in slices with a generous spread of butter.
Easy Rye Bread. This is a lovely straightforward bread recipe for rye bread which gives you a soft bread texture. Great to eat on it's own or use for sandwiches. Freezer friendly too!
Homemade Sweet Beer Bread, very easy recipe using just 4 ingredients, soft, slightly sweet bread, ideal with soups, dips, or simply a spread of butter on a slice.
Soft Bread Rolls. Make up a batch of these to go with your BBQ, salads etc. These are light, soft and freezer friendly too!
Bannock Fry Bread Taco. Easy recipe and great for parties, game nights etc
Orange Brioche bread, luxuriously soft and buttery, with a hint of orange throughout.Great for snacks, sandwiches, French Toast or to simply eat warm from the oven as they are.
Cinnamon Raisin Bread. A nice easy bread to make, using your bread maker or oven. Delicious toasted and served warm with some butter. This is also great to make French Toast, YUMMY!
The Best Homemade Challah Bread ever! Soft and so delicious, braided Jewish bread with poppy and sesame seeds. Popular on Sabbath and Jewish holidays
Garlic & Herb Flat Bread. A wonderful easy recipe which is versatile enough to allow you to choose the herbs and flavors you enjoy the most!
Crusty Philadelphia Italian Bread,easy homemade recipe and great for Cheese Steak Sandwiches, cutting into slices and using in dips..fantastic party food too!
Orange and Cinnamon Swirly Bread
Orange and Cinnamon Swirly Bread, made from scratch, easy recipe. Soft, sticky, creamy, rolls, perfect for the holiday season, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Thyme & Sun dried Tomato Bread. A lovely bread recipe, great to have on it's own or with a salad, cold cuts, or soup!
BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE SWIRLY BREAD .... oh my! Seriously soft, sticky, creamy yummy! Happy baking!
How To Make Gozleme, Turkish Bread.
Learn how to make Gozleme, Turkish Bread. It's a type of flatbread, filled with a variety of savory ingredients and often eaten as street food. Easy step by step recipe for a delicious snack
Easy Cinnamon Rolls. A deliciously sweet, soft sticky bun with a great vanilla glaze. These are so delicious warm from the oven with some maple syrup poured over too!
Bacon & Cheese Soft Rolls - Super delicious when eaten fresh from the oven when the cheese is melting!
Light, fluffy, soft, vanilla custard filled buns. Eat these sweet bread buns warm or cold, I like them just from the oven! Freezer friendly too
Delicious English Muffins. English bread recipe, often eaten for breakfast. Serve warm with butter! You can eat these sweet or savory! Freezer friendly too! Simple recipe
Cinnamon & Raisin English Muffins - Delicious opened and served warm with a nice spread of butter on each half! Easy stove top recipe.
Easy Hot Cross Buns are a wonderfully soft, sweet, spiced bun, traditionally made for Easter time.
Serve warm or cold, split open, toast and spread some butter and your favourite jam! Delicious!
Tear and share garlic parmesan bread, loaded with cheese and garlic, using refrigerated biscuits, baked in a bundt pan. A perfect side dish to share at a party
Tear and Share Pizza is a delicious recipe made using biscuit dough, mozzarella, pepperoni and pizza sauce. Simply tear a piece off and pass around with your friends and family
Montreal Style Bagels, delicious homemade bagels. A wonderful soft bread, sweetened with honey and topped with sesame seeds. Easy instructions and freezer friendly too!