Gosh! Breaded Chicken Skewers are so very delicious! These are very flexible with the flavour you want, and here, I have used a basic Chinese flavor, and of course you can make up a marinade of your own if you wish, or use the one below. The skewers are perfect for party food, you can make them as long or short as you wish, just choose the length of the skewers you wish to use. Serve these warm with a variety of dipping sauces or eat them as they are.
For this recipe, I have baked them in the oven, however, you can also deep fry these, which is a little naughty on the calories, but also delicious! You can also freeze these, either before coating in breadcrumbs, or after baking. However, because it is chicken, please make sure you heat / cook through thoroughly after defrosting, before serving!
The meat is nice and juicy tender, and full of flavour so please enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
15 – 20 Boneless and skinless chicken thighs, or 8 – 10 Chicken Breasts
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon Honey
1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger
1 Tablespoon Chinese Rice Wine or Dry Sherry
2 Eggs, Beaten
2 Cups Breadcrumbs of your choice, Panko etc
A drizzle of olive oil
24+ Wooden Skewers
1. Pre heat oven to 425 F or 220 C. Line a baking tray with foil and brush some oil on the foil.
2. In a bowl, add the marinade ingredients and stir.
3. Slice the thigh meat in to bite sized pieces and add to the marinade, coating all the chicken thoroughly. If you have time, place in the fridge for half an hour for the flavours to develop. Then weave the pieces of chicken through some wooden skewers until all the meat is used up. I usually place around 4 – 6 pieces of meat on each skewer, but of course it depends how long your skewers are and what size you cut the chicken! Use your judgement.
4. Beat the eggs and place the breadcrumbs on a plate. Then dip each chicken skewer in the egg then roll in the plate of breadcrumbs until fully coated. Place on the baking sheet. Drizzle some olive oil all over the skewers. Not too much, just a little.
5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, turning when browned and continue to bake until they are crispy and golden. It should take around 15 – 20 minutes, depending on how thick or thin you made the skewers.
6. Serve warm with your favourite dips. I like these with sweet chili sauce. BBQ sauce is also delicious! You choose!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Come and see more of our appetizers and starters on our Pinterest board below. It gets updated frequently so be sure to follow us!