Criss Cross Vanilla Cookies, easy great tasting crunchy vanilla cookie recipe sure to please! A traditional family recipe using basic pantry ingredients. A great all year round cookie recipe.
Libby has kindly shared another of her family cookie recipes for us all to enjoy. It's one of her most requested cookies for sure!
These Criss Cross cookies are very easy to make with simple ingredients, but don't be fooled by that! They're really so addictive, you will find they will disappear in no time at all, so guard your cookie tin!
The flavor of vanilla in cookies is always a good thing. It adds a lovely gently sweet flavor to the cookies, still keeping them simple, yet great tasting.
If you love vanilla, we have lots of tasty vanilla recipes so be sure to check those out!
These vanilla cookies are crunchy and will stay crisp for a few of days in an air tight container, even longer if you pop a slice of fresh bread in the container too.
Recipe by Libby Myrick
Approx 8 minutes
Makes 8 dozen
4 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoons soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1. Sift flour, measure. Sift again with soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
2. Cream shortening. Add sugar gradually. Add vanilla and lemon flavoring and eggs. Beat until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture.
3. Mix until smooth. Chill for several hours.
4. Roll into balls and place on greased cookie sheet. . Press lightly with the back of a fork, making a criss-cross pattern.
5. Bake 375 F for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
Place on a cooling rack until completely cooled before storing in an air-tight container.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 eggs
- Sift flour, measure. Sift again with soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Cream shortening. Add sugar gradually. Add vanilla and lemon flavoring and eggs. Beat until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture.
- Mix until smooth. Chill for several hours.
- Roll into balls and place on greased cookie sheet. (I use parchment paper). Press lightly with tines of a fork, making a criss cross pattern.
- Bake 375 F for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone Baking Mat - Set of 3 Half Sheet (Thick & Large 11 5/8" x 16 1/2") - Non Stick Silicon Liner for Bake Pans & Rolling - Macaron/Pastry/Cookie/Bun/Bread Making - Professional Grade Nonstick
OXO Good Grips Cookie Press with Stainless Steel Disks and Storage Case
Anolon 54717 Advanced Nonstick Bakeware with Grips, Nonstick Cookie Sheet / Baking Sheet - 14 Inch x 16 Inch, Gray
Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and More
Nutrition Information:Yield: 96 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate