Cajun Crabmeat Au Gratin. A truly delicious recipe, full of fantastic flavors. Options to add shrimp or crawfish too! Delicious served as an appetizer or main meal.
Cajun Crabmeat Au Gratin. Wow! here we have a classic Seafood Au Gratin recipe with a twist of Cajun added to it. The flavors are truly wonderful!
This recipe has been kindly shared by our Lovefoodies supporter, Sally Hall. Sally often makes Cajun recipes and this Cajun crabmeat au gratin is one of many Sally makes for her family and friends.
It's flexible enough so you can add shrimp, crawfish, lobster or other seafood you enjoy the most. It's certainly a rich dish, given the ingredients listed below, so if you're on a diet, perhaps this delicious recipe will need to be saved for another time!
The lovely sweet taste of the crab meat is cooked in a creamy cheese sauce, seasoned as you would expect, with classic Cajun flavors. It's a great dish to serve as an appetizer or main meal, perhaps with some lovely crusty bread fresh from the oven, or some pasta, or simply on its own with a side salad. Whichever way you decide to serve Sally's cajun crabmeat au gratin, be assured it will be truly delicious!
4 - 6
2 Egg yolks
1 pint Heavy Cream
4 oz or 110 g Butter
1 medium Onion, finely chopped
¼ cup Celery, finely chopped
¼ cup Red bell pepper, finely chopped
¼ teaspoons Salt
½ teaspoon Red/White/Black pepper
¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
⅛ teaspoon Celery salt
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
¼ cup All-purpose flour
1 package (2 cups) shredded Sharp cheddar cheese
1 package (2 cups) shredded mozzarella Cheese
1-2 packages or containers Crabmeat (12 - 16 oz)
1 package Crawfish tails or UNCOOKED Small-Med
Shrimp (12 - 16 oz)
1 bunch Green onions, chopped to about ½ inch pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.Lightly grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish (approximate size). *to customize this dish – individual smaller baking dishes can be used.
2. In a bowl, whip together the egg yolks and heavy cream.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion, bell pepper and celery about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery salt and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10+ minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender.
4. Mix the flour into the saucepan, and cook on medium heat and stir continuously for 5 minutes.
Mix in the egg yolk/cream mixture. Reserve ½ cup of cheddar and mozzarella cheese for topping.
Stir in the remaining Cheddar, & Mozzarella cheese until melted.
Remove from heat and fold in the crabmeat and crawfish or shrimp. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
5. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned. Remove from heat and top with the remaining cheeses (to taste) and green onions. Allow the cheese to melt before serving.
Serve with a salad, your favorite rolls or bread, or with rice or baked potato.
Can I freeze this crabmeat au gratin?
On a side note, you could also make these ahead and freeze. We suggest you follow up to step 4 inclusive and then freeze BEFORE baking. When you want to serve, simply defrost thoroughly and bake as instructed in Step 5 as normal.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Cajun Crabmeat Au Gratin
Cajun Crabmeat Au Gratin. A truly delicious recipe full of fantastic flavors. Options to add shrimp or crawfish too! Delicious served as an appetizer or main meal.
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1 pint Heavy Cream
- 4 oz or 110 g Butter
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoon Red/White/Black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Celery salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- 2 cups package shredded Sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups package shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1-2 packages or containers Crabmeat, (12 - 16 oz)
- 1 package Crawfish tails or UNCOOKED Small-Med, (12 - 16 oz)
- 1 inch bunch Green onions, chopped to about ½ pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.Lightly grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish (approximate size). *to customize this dish – individual smaller baking dishes can be used.
- In a bowl, whip together the egg yolks and heavy cream.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion, bell pepper and celery about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery salt and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10+ minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender.
- Mix the flour into the saucepan, and cook on medium heat and stir continuously for 5 minutes. Mix in the egg yolk/cream mixture. Reserve ½ cup of cheddar and mozzarella cheese for topping. Stir in the remaining Cheddar, & Mozzarella cheese until melted. Remove from heat and fold in the crabmeat and crawfish or shrimp. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned. Remove from heat and top with the remaining cheeses (to taste) and green onions. Allow the cheese to melt before serving.
- Serve with a salad, your favorite rolls or bread, or with rice or baked potato
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 876Total Fat: 77gSaturated Fat: 46gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 321mgSodium: 1216mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 35g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Delicious Shrimp and Seafood Recipes
Here's a selection of delicious Shrimp and Seafood recipes for you to enjoy
Classic Spanish Seafood Paella.
In this version of the classic Spanish dish, chicken, chorizo sausage, and shrimp combine with rice simmered in broth and flavored with saffron threads, garlic
Chinese Garlic Shrimp is a wonderful quick and easy recipe with terrific flavors! Serve as an appetizer, main dish with Jasmine rice or add to a stir-fry.
A quick and easy oven-baked dinner, giving you juicy, perfectly cooked shrimp, infused with garlic and lemon. Recipe options to add tender baked asparagus making a delicious meal.
Delicious Crab Cakes recipe coated in light, crispy panko breadcrumbs. Perfectly seasoned with herbs and spices, these baked crab cakes make for a great appetizer or dinner.
Delicious Shrimp or Salmon Vol Au Vents, Mini Puff Pastry Cups are very easy to make and great for parties as canapes, appetizers, and snacks. Perfect to make ahead too!
Classic Seafood Cocktail Sauce
Classic Seafood Cocktail Sauce.
A delicious seafood cocktail sauce, mild yet tangy, the perfect accompaniment to prawns, lobster, and ideal for serving as a dipping sauce or to add to a prawn cocktail.
Sesame Shrimp or Prawn Toasts. These are a very popular little Asian appetizer, great for parties, or to have as a side with a nice soup. Easy recipe and budget friendly too!
Garlic Shrimp Fried Rice! It's quick, easy and of course super tasty Asian starter or main dish!
Refreshing Shrimp Salad is a lovely salad which you can make ahead. There's also a great dressing recipe too!
Crispy Breaded Shrimp. An incredible easy and quick recipe, serve as a starter or as party food. Oh so good! No frying either!
Shrimp Dianne. A wonderful flavored dish, great served as a main on a bed of Angel Hair pasta or as a side with some warm crusty bread!
Light and crispy batter around delicious juicy shrimp, add your favorite dip and these are a perfect starter or party food.
Creamy Garlic Seafood Pasta, a delicious quick and easy meal, with a delicious creamy white wine sauce.
Easy instructions for how to pan fry cod. Simple recipe for a great tasting fish supper. Plus quick recipe for bacon pasta dish to accompany. Great family dinner
The BEST EVER Beer Battered Fish and Chips! Great flavours and don't forget your shake of vinegar and sprinkle of salt!
Chinese Crab with Scallions and Ginger! A great tasting seafood dish full of flavor and easy to make
Bacon and Crab Mac n Cheese is a delicious side or main dish, with a rich creamy cheese sauce and amazing flavors from smokey bacon and crabmeat. Really tasty!
Creamy Shrimp and Corn Soup, a full flavored soup using delicious ingredients. Serve with some warm crusty bread!
I made the Cajun Crabmeat Au Gratin for supper tonight, with a few minor changes. Instead of an onion, I used shallots. I also used fresh sliced mushrooms (1/2 lb) and minced garlic (rather than garlic powder). First, I cooked down the mushrooms (about halfway), then added the shallots, bell pepper, celery, and minced garlic for the next five minutes. Also, rather than sharp cheddar & mozzarella, I used what I had on hand, which turned out to be 2C of mild cheddar, 1 cup of Gruyere’, and an Italian cheese blend (1 cup). It turned out really well; no leftovers! I used individual ramekins; it made 6 VERY generous servings, with a salad & French bread on the side. Thanks for this great recipe!
When you list the ingredients as “1-2 packages or containers” of crabmeat and “1 package crawfish tails or shrimp,” you need to give the weights of these packages or containers. Living in Indiana,!we can get 1# containers of blue crab crabmeat or 6 oz cans. The package of shrimp or crawfish, I assume is a one pound package. I’d like to make this for Christmas Eve, but I can’t without knowing the proportions. And, in the first text of the recipe you state 1 package of the cheese and (2 cups) but in the recipe pie to print you say 1 cup of each. I’d love to make this, but it’s very confusing as it is right now.
Hi Marianne, thanks for writing in. I’m sorry the recipe ingredients are confusing. For some reason, the ingredients didn’t transfer properly over to the print out recipe card but I’ve manually corrected those now for you so thank you for bringing it to my attention. I’ve also sent a message to Sally to ask her for precise quantities for the crabmeat and crawfish so I will update you as soon as she replies and also add that in the recipe so it’s more helpful for you.
Thanks for your patience and hope you have a wonderful Christmas!