Impossible Pie. A very easy recipe, makes its own crust and tastes like a coconut cream pie!
Well, this has got to be one of the easiest and most delicious dessert pie recipes I've ever tried! When I say easy I really do mean easy. It's a case of mixing all the ingredients listed below, adding to a baking pan and going to have a cup of tea whilst you wait for the Impossible pie to bake.
When the impossible pie is ready, you'll notice it has formed a crust on the top and also a kind of pastry crust on the base, resembling a pie dough crust, but as you will know, we haven't used any pie dough in the recipe.
So that must be impossible right? See for yourself!
What is an Impossible Pie?
This impossible pie has a filling texture of a baked egg custard.
Smooth, creamy and simply delicious. The top of the impossible pie has a slightly rough textured crust.
What happens when it is baking is the coconut flakes come to the surface of the pie and hence you get a slightly textured top.
For the base of the pie, the almost pie dough appearance is because when the egg custard is baking, it will naturally form a layer on the base where it is a higher temperature due to contact with the pan and oven shelf.
So what you end up with is like a magic pie with a pie crust and top, but not!
Variations of Impossible Pie
I've made some variation recipes for you to try too, such as our very popular Lemon Impossible Pie, so good!
and also, if you're planning a party or special occasion, we have a lovely recipe for Mini Impossible Pies, and for that, I've used one batter and made 3 different cupcake size flavors so everyone can choose which flavor they want!
So let's get straight to the recipe and see just how easy and delicious our Impossible Pie is to make.
It's definitely a keeper recipe so be sure to save it so you can make it again and again!
This delicious recipe has been generously shared by one of our Lovefoodies supporters, Beck Duman.
Beck is always cooking up something tasty, and here we have her easiest ever Impossible Pie! A perfect dessert with a big blob of ice cream!
Recipe by Beck Duman
45 minutes approx
2 cups / 470 ml milk
1 cup / 110 g Flaked coconut
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup /60 g flour
8 Tblsp butter, melted
¾ cup / 150 g sugar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg for top
1. Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour an 8 - 9-inch pie plate
2. In a blender or mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and roughly mix together either on a short pulse if using a blender, or using a whisk by hand. Be careful not to over mix.
3. Transfer batter to the pie dish and sprinkle some ground nutmeg on the top (optional)
4. Place in the oven for around 45 minutes. The pie will have a slight wobble to the surface. That will set as it is cooling.
5. Allow to cool and refrigerate until completely chilled. For best results, chill overnight. The flavor settles over time and it even tastier!
This will make its own pie crust just like a coconut cream pie!
Really delicious on its own or with your favourite ice cream.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 2 cups / 470 ml milk
- 1 cup / 110 g Flaked coconut
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup /60 g flour
- 8 Tblsp butter, melted
- ¾ cup / 150 g sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg for top
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour an 8 - 9-inch pie plate
- In a blender or mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and roughly mix together either on a short pulse if using a blender, or using a whisk by hand. Be careful not to over mix.
- Transfer batter to the pie dish and sprinkle some ground nutmeg on the top (optional)
- Place in the oven for around 45 minutes. The pie will have a slight wobble to the surface. That will set as it is cooling.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate until completely chilled. For best results, chill overnight. The flavor settles over time and it even tastier!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 444Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 171mgSodium: 264mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate