Easy mini apple pies are delicious homemade small pies with a made from scratch apple filling and a simple pastry case. Ideal for snacks, parties and freezer friendly.
Mini Apple Pies! How could you not like Apple Pie! I think everyone must have tried it at some point, and to be able to make a good apple pie, with a nice crisp pastry is easy, so long as you follow the steps!
This apple pie recipe is very easy to make, and uses basic ingredients.
What pastry should I use to make apple pie?
For the pie crust, we've used our own recipe for homemade shortcrust pastry.
You can, of course, buy shop-bought pastry, however, our homemade version is buttery and so delicious! The pastry will take around 10 minutes maximum to make, so it's worth making yourself as you can't beat homemade pie dough!
What apples should I use for apple pie?
For the filling, we've used Granny Smith apples.
They're a little sharper than some other apples and goes well with the sugar and cinnamon for contrast in flavor. Granny Smith's also tend to hold their firmness a bit better than other apples so when the pie filling is baking, it doesn't tend to go mushy, but will keep their shape better so you will get chunks of delicious apple in every bite.
If you'd like to try a different flavor of pie filling, we've got a lovely caramel pie filling recipe too so you could make a variety.
Can I freeze these apple pies?
These mini fruit pies will freeze very well. You can either freeze them before or after baking. So if you wanted to make ahead, say for a party or you're preparing for Thanksgiving, this is an ideal recipe to help you get ahead of time and have the pies ready.
If you're freezing them before baking, simply bring them to room temperature then pop them in the oven as normal until golden and serve warm or cold.
So let's get straight to the recipe and see how easy it is to make these mini apple pies. Happy baking!
You will need
6 hole muffin pan
Recipe by Adelenne Lee
6 oz or 170 g Shortcrust pastry*
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
1 Tbs of lemon juice
2 Tbs of sugar
½ tsp cinnamon powder
2 Tbs milk to brush pastry
Here's our recipe for Shortcrust pastry if you'd like to make your own.
First make the pastry, if making your own, and leave to rest in the fridge whilst you prepare the filling.
Then prepare the filling as follows:
1. Peel and chop the apples, then place in a bowl with the other ingredients except the milk. Mix together.
2. Using a cutter, cut 6 discs to fit in your muffin pan, making the discs larger than the holes so there is an overhang. Place each disc in the bottom of a well-greased muffin pan.
3. Fill each pastry lined hole with apple filling and brush a little milk on the sides of the pastry.
4. Cut more rounds to cover the tops and seal the edges. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Then brush with milk and sprinkle some sugar on top.
5. Baked at 180 C or 350 F for about 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked.
- 6 oz or 170 g Shortcrust pastry
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped into bite size
- 1 Tbs of lemon juice
- 2 Tbs of sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 Tbs milk to brush pastry
Then prepare the filling as follows:
- Peel and chop the apples, then place in a bowl with the other ingredients except the milk. Mix together.
- Using a cutter, cut 6 discs to fit in your muffin pan, making the discs larger than the holes so there is an overhang.
- Fill each pastry lined hole with apple filling and brush a little milk on the sides of the pastry.
- Cut more rounds to cover the tops and seal the edges. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Then brush with milk and sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Baked at 180 C / 350 F for about 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
X-Chef Silicone Basting Pastry Brushes for Cooking BBQ Meat Cakes Pastries Butter Kitchen, Heatproof, Dishwasher Safe Flexible Easy Clean, BPA Free and FDA Approved, Set of 4
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Large
Wilton 2105-6789 Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, STANDARD, Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate