Spiked rum pumpkin pie, the addition of rum takes this traditional homemade pumpkin pie to another level! When you take a look at the ingredients used in this delicious Spiked Pumpkin Pie you just know it's going to taste wonderful and be a great dessert!
The addition of rum in the filling makes for an added dimension to the Traditional Pumpkin Pie and is a family favorite at every Thanksgiving. All made from scratch and an easy recipe too.
This Spiked Pumpkin Pie would be great to serve after your Thanksgiving meal with a blob of vanilla bean ice cream and a love cup of coffee. That would certainly finish off a nice evening with your family and friends.
The basic pie case is made from scratch, using our easy shortcrust pastry recipe which takes a matter of minutes to make, and gives you a nice sweet crisp, and flaky crust, and the filling is made of pumpkin puree, and a mix of spices to give you the flavors of Fall!
For the alcohol, we would recommend a lovely spiced dark rum, this will compliment the spices already in the pie filling. As the pie will be baked in the oven, the alcohol will burn off and leave you with a lovely flavor. If you don't wish to use any alcohol, then simply omit the rum.
This pie will keep for a few days, best stored in the refrigerator, which is great if you wanted to make it ahead in preparation for your Thanksgiving meal.
Check out our other delicious pumpkin recipes. There's cookies, pies, desserts, and cakes for you to try!
Let's see how Donna makes her Spiked Pumpkin Pie
Recipe from Donna Smith
5 - 10 minutes
6 - 8 persons
Pie Dough for a 1 crust pie *
2 cups pumpkin puree
⅔ cup packed dark brown sugar
⅓ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup heavy cream
⅓ cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons rum
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
*Use our easy shortcrust pastry recipe you would like an easy recipe to make your own dough
1. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a large circle about ⅛-inch thick. Fit it, without stretching, into a buttered 9 ½ inch pie pan. Trim off excess dough, leaving a ¾-inch overhang. Fold under the edge of the dough, pressing along the rim of the pan and forming a fairly high fluted border.
2. Chill the dough while preheating the oven to 400 F and place the oven rack in the lower third shelf.
3. Line the dough with a lightly buttered sheet of foil, buttered side down. Bake for 8 minutes. Very gently remove the foil; prick the dough all over with a fork. Bake the crust until the surface of the dough is dry, but has not yet baked all the way through, about 5 minutes longer. Set the pie shell aside until needed, leave the oven on.
4. Whisk together the pumpkin, brown and white sugars, flour, salt, spices, pepper, cream, milk, eggs, rum, and vanilla in a large bowl. Taste and correct the seasonings. Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
5. Bake until the filling is set but still wobbly in the center, usually about 45 minutes.
Allow to completely cool before slicing so it can firm up.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Spiked Rum Pumpkin Pie
Spiked Rum Pumpkin Pie, the addition of rum takes this traditional homemade pumpkin pie to another level! Perfect Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday dessert
- Pie Dough for a 1 crust pie
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- ⅔ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a large circle about ⅛-inch thick. Fit it, without stretching, into a buttered 9 ½ inch pie pan. Trim off excess dough, leaving a ¾-inch overhang. Fold under the edge of the dough, pressing along the rim of the pan and forming a fairly high fluted border.
- Chill the dough while preheating the oven to 400 F and place the oven rack in the lower third shelf.
- Line the dough with a lightly buttered sheet of foil, buttered side down. Bake for 8 minutes. Very gently remove the foil; prick the dough all over with a fork. Bake the crust until the surface of the dough is dry, but has not yet baked all the way through, about 5 minutes longer. Set the pie shell aside until needed, leave the oven on.
- Whisk together the pumpkin, brown and white sugars, flour, salt, spices, pepper, cream, milk, eggs, spirits and vanilla in a large bowl. Taste and correct the seasonings. Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake until the filling is set but still wobbly in the center, usually about 45 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KINGSBULL HOME Pie Pan Porcelain Pie Dish Ceramic Pie Plate 10.5-Inch Teal Non-Stick Safe for Microwaves, Dishwasher, Ovens, Navy blue
Kitchen Craft Home Made 26.5 x 6 cm Extra Large Round Pie Dish
Webake 4 Inch Mini Tart Pan Set of 6, Non-Stick Quiche Pan Removable Bottom Mini Tart Tins
CHEFMADE 9.5-Inch Round Tart Pan with Removable Loose Bottom, Non-stick Carbon Steel Quiche Pan, FDA Approved for Oven Baking (Champagne Gold)
HIC Round Quiche, Fine White Porcelain, 10 x 1.5-Inches
Wilton Performance Pans Flower Cake Pan, 4-Piece Petal Shaped Set of 17, 12.75 and 9-Inch Pans
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Delicious Sweet Pie Recipes
Here's a selection of family favorite sweet pie recipes, perfect for parties, holidays, Thanksgiving!
Mini Homemade Pecan Pies. Delicious individual mini pies all made from scratch and super easy too!
French Fruit Tart With Pastry Cream is a wonderful homemade sweet French pastry (Pâte Sablée) tart case, filled with silky smooth creme patissiere and then decorated with a variety of fresh fruits. A French patisserie classic dessert and a showstopper for parties!
Easy Banoffee Pie is a wonderful creamy no-bake dessert with layers of banana and caramel on a buttery cookie base. Very easy to make and always popular.
How To Make French Pastry (Pâte Sablée), easy step by step guide on making this sweet, buttery crisp tart shell. A classic famous sweet pastry dough recipe
Lemon Impossible Pie! Incredibly easy to make and the flavor is amazing!
Creamy Strawberry Coconut Pie.
This Strawberry Coconut Pie is made up of a crispy cookie case, filled with delicious creamy coconut custard, and laced throughout with juicy strawberries.
This Tropical Coconut Pie is made up of a crispy buttery pastry case, filled with delicious creamy coconut custard, and laced throughout with juicy pineapple chunks.
Silky Irish Cream Pie. A wonderful chilled, creamy dessert inside a chocolate pie crust. Delicious! Perfect for St Patrick's Day and all holidays!
Homemade Tropical Mandarin Pie, made up of a crispy buttery pastry case, filled with delicious creamy coconut custard, and laced throughout with juicy mandarins.
Chocolate Meringue Pie, an easy recipe with a delicious chocolate filling and topped with meringue.
Traditional Egg Custard Tart with a lovely homemade pastry and a very silky smooth filling. Serve warm or chilled. I love mine chilled! You can also make mini ones in a muffin pan if you prefer!
Mom's Homemade Apple Pie. A wonderful old family recipe, simple ingredients, easy to make and delicious every time! Perfect for a regular family dessert, or to take to pot lucks, Thanksgiving, or anytime!
Homemade Peach Pie. A wonderful recipe all made from scratch with a delicious crispy flaky pastry. Serve warm with some whipped cream or ice cream! Yummy!
Easy Blueberry Pie,
delicious homemade blueberry pie filling in a made from scratch crisp buttery
sweet pastry case. An old fashioned pie recipe sure to please!
Impossible Pie. A very easy recipe, makes its own crust and tastes like a coconut cream pie!
Dutch Apple Pie - Loaded with apples, raisins, cinnamon and the most delicious pastry I've ever eaten! Be sure to have a lovely cup of coffee to go with a slice of pie in true Dutch tradition!
Apple, Pear and Blueberry Pie. Delicious served warm or cold with some whipped cream, ice cream or custard! Easy recipe too!
Lemon Meringue Pie. A nice easy recipe with a perfect balance of lemon with sweet meringue. Always popular at family get togethers!
Peanut Butter Pie, an easy no-bake dessert, with delicious creamy peanut butter and chocolate filling in an Oreo cookie pie crust. Very simple and quick chilled dessert recipe
Mini Apple Pies.
Easy mini apple pies are delicious homemade small pies with a made from scratch apple filling and a simple pastry case. Ideal for snacks, parties and freezer friendly
Easy Vanilla Sauce.
Super easy recipe for a simple vanilla sauce, great for pouring on desserts and cakes. Serve warm or chilled. Budget friendly and uses regular pantry ingredients.