Lemon Impossible Pie! Incredibly easy to make and the flavor is amazing! It's an incredibly easy recipe and the combination of lemon and coconut is a pure delight!
For those who have never tried an Impossible Pie before, you simply must!
In a nutshell, it's an egg custard type mixture with a few additions.
When it bakes, it forms its own bottom crust (which has the texture of pastry) and also forms a crisp top crust. During baking, the coconut rises to the surface and that is what forms the crisp top layer.
For this recipe, I've added a burst of lemon in there, hence the name, Lemon Impossible Pie. It is not so overwhelming that it will make you screw your eyes up from the sharpness. More of a gentle lemon flavor to marry up nicely with the coconut and take away some of the sweetness of the pie.
So all in all, it is a nice gentle balance of flavors.
Once you've baked this Lemon Impossible Pie, it is a good idea to have it chill overnight so it has time to set ready for slicing and also the flavors come together better.
If you try to slice this when it is still hot, you will end up with messy spoonfuls of pie, so make sure you do let it set!
Check out our handy Oven Temperature Conversion Guide!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. It would make a perfect choice for a party or potlucks, Thanksgiving and holidays. Please enjoy!
45 minutes approx
6 - 8 Slices
2 cups or 470 ml milk
1 cup or 110 g Flaked coconut
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup or 60 g flour
8 Tablespoons butter, melted
¾ cup or 150 g sugar
Juice and zest of ½ lemon
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl using a spoon or hand whisk.
2. Pour into a greased and floured pie plate (about 8 - 9 inches size) and bake 350 F or 180 C or Gas 4 oven for 45 minutes. I place my pie in a baking tray in case of spills.
3. When done, the pie will be slightly wobbly in the center. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight if possible.
Serve on its own or with a blob of vanilla ice cream!
Notes: One of our Lovefoodies friends, Nanci Askew has made this recipe but WITHOUT adding coconut. Nanci advises to follow the recipe but HALVE the butter amount in the recipe and it will turn out perfect! Good to know if you have a non-coconut fan in the house! Thanks, Nanci for your suggestion!
I took a close-up photo of the top crust so you can see! It is so yummy!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our Lemon Impossible Pie recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
We've also made a lovely collection of Mini Impossible Pies. They're great for parties or if you simply want a variety. There are 3 flavors, chocolate, orange and plain. They only use 1 batch of batter! Click on the photo to go straight to the recipe!
If you love lemon desserts, our friend over at Life Currents has an amazing recipe you need to make! It's a Lemon Souffle Magic Cake. So delicious!
- 2 cups or 470 ml milk
- 1 cup or 110 g Flaked coconut
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup or 60 g flour
- 8 Tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup or 150 g sugar
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl using a spoon or hand whisk.
- Pour into a greased and floured pie plate (about 8 - 9 inches size) and bake 350 F or 180 C or Gas 4 oven for 45 minutes. I place my pie in a baking tray in case of spills.
- When done, the pie will be slightly wobbly in the center. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight if possible.
- Serve on its own or with a blob of vanilla ice cream!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
HIC Round Quiche, Fine White Porcelain, 10 x 1.5-Inches
KINGSBULL HOME Pie Pan Porcelain Pie Dish Ceramic Pie Plate 10.5-Inch Teal Non-Stick Safe for Microwaves, Dishwasher, Ovens, Navy blue
Kitchen Craft Home Made 26.5 x 6 cm Extra Large Round Pie Dish
S & K S&K Pie Server. A Cake and Pastry Spatula a Strong Food-Grade Stainless Steel Cake Slicer a Pie Cutter Edge. Our Pie Servers look great too. S&K metal pie knife for serving a perfect slice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 7g