Easy recipe, soft, moist, and great tasting cake, bursting with lemon and raspberry. A perfect sweet treat for afternoon tea or dessert. This cake is exactly as it says! It's lemon drizzle cake combined with a raspberry ripple cake.
Indeed, I love cakes and when I was deciding what type of cake I wanted to bake next, I had in my mind two cakes, and just couldn't decide which to bake, so in the end, I thought, why not combine them both, and that is exactly what I did!
The cake texture is soft and light, but also has the taste of a characteristic pound cake, but is not as dense as a pound cake.
The flavors of the lemon combined with the raspberry running throughout are really quite wonderful. The taste is not sharp, or sour, because I have balanced the sharpness of the lemon with the sugar and also the jam.
This recipe is also flexible for you to select a different jam if you wish. I chose raspberry because I enjoy the flavor together with lemon, and also I thought the color is pretty too!
This recipe is simple to make, and has such a light fresh texture, perfect for anytime!
Let's see how easy it is to make this cake.
Check out our handy Oven Temperature Conversion Guide!
35 - 40 minutes
a 9 x 13 pan
The Cake Batter
8 oz or 225 g butter, softened
1 cup or 190 g sugar
2 ¼ cups or 275 g self-raising flour **** See below
2 teaspoons baking powder
6 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
zest of ½ lemon
Please note, I have used Self Raising flour as opposed to a mixture of All Purpose & Baking Powder.
If you choose to make your own Self Raising flour, please be aware the cake may end up with a strong taste of baking powder as this recipe already has 2 teaspoons in for added fluffiness. (this is in addition to SR Flour!). Where possible, please try to use ingredients as listed in the recipe so you can have same results as shown.
The Raspberry Ripple
Juice of ½ lemon
2 Tablespoons Raspberry Jam
The Lemon Drizzle
½ Cup or 60 g powdered sugar
zest of ½ lemon
juice of ½ lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F or 170 C, Grease and line with parchment paper a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
Make sure the parchment goes up the sides of the pan.
2. Add all the ingredients for the cake batter to a mixing bowl and mix well until the batter is light and all combined.
3. In a small bowl, add the ingredients for the raspberry ripple.
4. Pour HALF of the cake batter into your prepared baking pan and smooth so the surface is even.
5. Using a teaspoon, distribute the raspberry ripple mixture randomly all over the surface of the cake batter.
6. Add the other HALF of the cake batter on top of the raspberry mixture and smooth the batter over so it is distributed evenly.
7. Use a knife or a skewer and run in swirly lines through the batter. Take care not to tear the parchment on the base of the pan!
8. Place in the oven for about 35 - 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then take the sides of the parchment and lift the cake on to a cooling rack.
10. Use a skewer and poke holes all over the cake, not forgetting the edges too.
Then in a small bowl, mix the lemon drizzle ingredients until all combined and there are no lumps.
Pour the drizzle all over the surface of the cake.
It is easiest to also use a brush to help distribute the drizzle so it reaches the edges.
11. Allow the cake to completely cool then you can frost, add some whipped cream or decorate how you wish, or simply leave as it is. Slice into 16 squares and enjoy!
If you enjoy raspberry cakes try this raspberry crumb cake. it's got a delicious streusel topping on and can be made in a square pan.
Lemon Drizzle Raspberry Ripple Cake
Easy recipe, soft, moist and great tasting cake, bursting with lemon and raspberry. A perfect sweet treat for afternoon tea or dessert.
The Cake Batter
- 8 oz or 225 g butter, softened
- 1 cup or 190 g sugar
- 2 ¼ cups or 275 g self-raising flour **** See below
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- zest of ½ lemon
The Raspberry Ripple
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 Tablespoons Raspberry Jam
The Lemon Drizzle
- ½ Cup or 60 g powdered sugar
- zest of ½ lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 325 F or 170 C, Grease and line with parchment paper a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Make sure the parchment goes up the sides of the pan.
- Add all the ingredients for the cake batter to a mixing bowl and mix well until the batter is light and all combined.
- In a small bowl, add the ingredients for the raspberry ripple.
- Pour HALF of the cake batter into your prepared baking pan and smooth so the surface is even.
- Using a teaspoon, distribute the raspberry ripple mixture randomly all over the surface of the cake batter.
- Add the other HALF of the cake batter on top of the raspberry mixture and smooth the batter over so it is distributed evenly.
- Use a knife or a skewer and run in swirly lines through the batter. Take care not to tear the parchment on the base of the pan!
- Place in the oven for about 35 - 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. .
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then take the sides of the parchment and lift the cake on to a cooling rack.
- Use a skewer and poke holes all over the cake, not forgetting the edges too. Then in a small bowl, mix the lemon drizzle ingredients until all combined and there are no lumps. Pour the drizzle all over the surface of the cake. It is easiest to also use a brush to help distribute the drizzle so it reaches the edges.
- Allow the cake to completely cool then you can frost, add some whipped cream or decorate how you wish, or simply leave as it is. Slice into 16 squares and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
MEYKISS Cake Tester, Stainless Steel Cake Tester Probe Skewer Kitchen Baking Tools, Set of 2
Wilton Recipe Right Non-Stick 9 x 13-Inch Pan
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Cake Pan 9 x 13 Inch
Kootek 32-Piece Cake Decorating Tools Supplies Kit 24 Numbered Icing Tips with 2 Pastry Bags, 3 Icing Smoothers, 1 Flower Nail and 2 Reusable Couplers for Baking Supplies
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 396mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
Here's a great selection of celebration cakes perfect for a party!
Cranberry and Pecan Christmas Cake, loaded with delicious fruits and Spiced Rum. A perfect treat for Christmas.
Coffee Walnut Sandwich Cake.
The best coffee and walnut cake, a classic British afternoon tea cake, layers of soft and fluffy coffee cake with chopped walnuts throughout, adds a great flavor and texture, frosted with coffee cream cheese frosting. A pure delight to eat!
Authentic German Black Forest Swiss Roll, a light sponge cake famous in Germany. Layers of chocolate cake, cherries, kirsch & fresh whipped cream in a cake roll.
Salted Caramel Celebration Cake is perfect for a party. Homemade layers of soft caramel cake and layers of salted caramel frosting then topped with chocolate covered pretzels and salted caramel popcorn.
Walnut Cake is a delicious easy recipe. the cake is so soft and fluffy! Recipe also for a lovely vanilla frosting.
Orange or Clementine Ricotta Cheesecake. A lovely crustless baked dessert. Light and airy cheesecake, topped with zesty sweet homemade orange curd and fresh whipped cream.
Celebration Coconut Cake.
Perfect for a celebration, this coconut cake is made up of layers of soft coconut cake sandwiched between lemon curd then frosted with a light and airy coconut frosting.
Toasted Coconut Cupcakes.
Deliciously light and fluffy coconut cupcakes, with a coconut cream cheese frosting. Simple easy recipe for how to make perfect, moist cupcakes, ideal for parties and celebrations
Honey Bun Cupcakes are lovely and soft with great flavors of cinnamon and brown sugar and topped with a homemade honey buttercream frosting
Cherry Almond Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a lovely soft cake and great tasting. Perfect for parties too!
Coffee Walnut Cake
Coffee Walnut Cake is a deliciously easy soft and fluffy cake recipe. Recipe also for a lovely vanilla coffee frosting. A nice cake for the holidays!
How To Make A Basic Chocolate Loaf Cake
A simple, easy chocolate loaf cake recipe is moist, rich and chocolatey. Perfect for new cooks and is a go to basic recipe
The Famous Hummingbird Cake! A very popular soft and moist cake with pecans, bananas, pineapples, and a delicious frosting too!
Strawberry and Coconut Poke Cake with Fresh Whipped Cream. Easy made from scratch recipe. Yummy!
Fluffy Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake is a lovely baked dessert and so light and airy. Perfect for Easter, Mother's Day or any time of the year! It's out of this world delicious!
Easy Red Velvet Party Cake recipe with a lovely cream cheese frosting. Soft, fluffy and so delicious! Make as a sheet or round cake, you decide
Chocolate Latte Cake. A soft and moist cake with the flavors of a latte coffee and a hit of chocolate for good measure! Nice and easy recipe too!
Strawberry and Vanilla Cake. A soft and moist cake bursting with delicious strawberry and vanilla flavors. It tastes out of this world!
Authentic German Black Forest Cake, Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte is a delicious cake famous in Germany. Layers of chocolate cake, black cherries and kirsch. Perfect for a party!
Carrot Cake Cheesecake. Simply a Show Stopping Wow!
Caramel Marshmallow Cake, soft, moist cake recipe, with caramel and marshmallows and topped with a fresh whipped cream frosting. Great for celebrations, parties and dessert
Tiramisu Pound Cake, a soft and delicious pound cake with all the flavors of a Tiramisu! It's even got a mascarpone frosting. This will go fast so be sure to make two!
Pineapple and Coconut Poke Cake.
A delicious pineapple combined with creamy coconut cake recipe, topped with fresh whipped cream and more coconut, making a soft and fluffy great tasting tropical cake
Italian Cream Cake is a delicious tender made from scratch cake bursting with coconut, vanilla, and pecans, with cream cheese frosting. A perfect celebration cake
Almond Joy Cake. A delicious chocolate cake with almond and a coconut frosting. Always a hit and so popular!
Nanny's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cake is a keeper recipe! Easy to make and perfect for chocolate lover's.This is also freezer friendly if you wanted to make into portions or make ahead for a party!
White Chocolate Salted Caramel Cheesecake is a delicious baked cheesecake, rich and creamy with a white chocolate filling and a salted caramel topping. Easy to make.
Limoncello Tiramisu. A delicious twist on the classic Italian coffee tiramisu dessert using blueberries, lemon, and limoncello, all homemade and perfect for parties.
Strawberry Shortcake Cake, a wonderful refreshing classic sponge cake packed with fresh strawberries and a whipped cream frosting.
Can you tell me if the tablespoons in the recipe are metric measurement.
Hi Carol, yes they are :)
April J Harrissays:
Love this cake, Mary! What a wonderful combination of flavours and it’s so pretty too! Pinning, Stumbling & Yumming for sure :-)
Thank you very much April! I am so happy you like the cake, and then we should have some tea also :) !!