A great family favorite cake recipe, using ripe bananas, pineapple, cherries, nuts and chocolate chips to give you a lovely soft bread, perfect for breakfast or a snack.
This is a lovely easy recipe full of delicious ingredients which make this cake moist, and full of lovely colors too!
For this simple loaf cake recipe, we've used a mixture of pineapples, cherries, bananas, chocolate chips and nuts, and when all combined, you really do get a delicious cake!
The fruits add texture, moistness, and flavor, and what better than to make a cake using overripe bananas too!
The colors are just wonderful.
There are lots of delicious pantry ingredients in this cake and it is certainly a keeper recipe, and an old family favorite, perfect for any time of the year, and great for breakfast, brunch, or just to have as a snack.
Recipe by Lisa Hiibner
20 servings or 2 Loaves
Ingredients you'll need
- Flour - All purpose or Plain Flour is needed
- Ripe bananas - Ripened bananas give the bread a sweeter flavor as the bananas will be naturally sweeter when over ripened
- Pineapple - use canned crushed pineapple.
- Chocolate chips - we've used milk chocolate but feel free to swap for dark or a mix of chocolate
- Red maraschino cherries - this adds a lovely color to the cake. You can also add a mixture of red and green cherries if you wanted to make the cake over the Christmas holidays.
- Walnuts or nuts of your choice
See the recipe card below for quantities.
1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Slowly add the eggs.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then add to the creamed mix, alternating with the pineapples and bananas until everything is combined.
4. Gently fold in the chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts.
5. Pour into two greased 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes.
Allow to cool for 5 - 10 minutes before turning out of pans.
If you've got any crushed pineapple left over, this Hawaiian Dream Cake is a good way of using it up!
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- ⅔ cup butter
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 medium mashed ripe bananas
- 2 x 8 oz cans crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 x 10 oz jar red maraschino cherries, chopped and well drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or nuts of your choice. I don't use walnuts but it is common for this cake to have them in.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then add to the creamed mix, alternating with the pineapples and bananas until everything is combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts.
- Pour into two greased 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 - 10 minutes before turning out of pans.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Walfos Nonstick Silicone Bread and Loaf Pan Set of 2, BPA Free ! Without Chemical Coating，Just Pop Out! Easy release and baking mold for Homemade Cakes, Breads, Meatloaf and quiche.
Honey-Can-Do 2592 Paper Loaf Pan, 25-Pack, 8-Inches x 2.5-Inches x 2-Inches
Oggibox Q-26 12-Cavity Slim Rectangle silicone mold for Soap, Bread, Loaf, Muffin, Brownie, Cornbread, Cheesecake, Pudding, and More
Wilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Mini Loaf Pan, 8-Cavity
Plastic Rectangular Bread Box with Portable Handle 13inch Translucent Cake Container Box for Dry or Fresh Foods Loaf Cake Keeper (Pink)
White Disposable Loaf Bread Baking Liners (Pack of 2, 24 Liners Total) Rectangle, Non-Stick Paper Liners For Baking, Kitchen Tools For Baking Cake & Bread
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 4gSugar: 42gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate