This delicious recipe has been generously shared by Melissa Dommert.
Melissa is a keen cook, and most of her recipes are family ones, this one being one of the oldest family recipes she has!
So without further ado, let’s introduce Melissa!
This family recipe is truly a taste of Cajun country where folks are already sitting at the table drinking coffee and eating breakfast by the time the rooster crows. Mama (Patsy Paul) made countless batches of biscuits and tomato gravy in her lifetime. I miss her every day. When I’ve had a rough day and need to feel close to her, I come home and make biscuits and tomato gravy and I’m reminded of her love for her family and for cooking. When I smell the roux cooking, I almost feel like I’m back in Mama’s kitchen…one more time. I’m sure she learned to make this from her Mother, Carmen Inez Shirley. I know it’s just simple biscuits and gravy but for me this is “the dish” that puts my feet back under my Mama’s table.
Recipe by Melissa Dommert and her Mama.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 – 4 Persons
What you need: Skillet or Pan
4 tablespoons bacon or sausage grease
3 rounded tablespoons flour
2 cups / 470 ml water approximately
½ small can tomato paste (about 3 oz / 100 g.)
Salt and pepper to taste (not too much salt)
Hot buttermilk biscuits See HERE for a lovely recipe for Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits
1. In a skillet, stir flour into grease over medium-high heat.
Let flour cook and brown, keep stirring, don’t let it burn.
2. When roux has browned, pour water into skillet, while stirring with a whisk.
3. Whisk in tomato paste until well blended; when gravy begins to thicken reduce heat to low.
4.Add salt and pepper to taste. You may need to add a little more water if gravy becomes too thick.
Some folks use chopped fresh or canned crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce in place of the tomato paste proving that there‘s more than one way to paint a barn!
Serving Suggestions :
Serve with love over hot buttermilk biscuits along with bacon or sausage for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Morning, noon or night, you’ll feel the love because your heart and your tummy will be full!
- 4 tablespoons bacon or sausage grease
- 3 tablespoons rounded flour
- 2 cups / 470 ml water approximately
- ½ oz small can tomato paste about 3 / 100 g.
- Salt and pepper to taste not too much salt
- Hot buttermilk biscuits
- In a skillet, stir flour into grease over medium-high heat.
- Let flour cook and brown, keep stirring, don’t let it burn.
- When roux has browned, pour water into skillet, while stirring with a whisk.
- Whisk in tomato paste until well blended; when gravy begins to thicken reduce heat to low.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. You may need to add a little more water if gravy becomes too thick.