Homemade Yellow Cake Mix, a lovely made from scratch substitute to shop-bought cake mixes and gives you a soft, moist cake. Great when a recipe calls for a cake box mix.
Home Made Yellow Cake Mix recipe! I thought it was about time I shared a very simple way around having to buy these boxed cake mixes.
I know many of you are living outside the US, or perhaps you prefer homemade over boxed ingredients, so here, I am sharing my recipe for how to make this at home.
It's a flexible recipe, so if you wanted to add some other flavor, like vanilla, lemon, etc, you simply can add a few drops of extract in with the batter.
This recipe is suitable for making in a 9 x 13-inch pan, or 2 x 9 inch round pans, and is approximately 16.5 oz substitute in the box size if you are incorporating this recipe in one which calls for such a box size.
If your recipe calls for a little smaller or larger box size, by 1 or 2 ounces, don't worry too much. (I understand the box sizes have reduced a little, no doubt the price hasn't!)
Please note, this recipe uses a lot of sugar (as does the ready-bought cake mixes). You can reduce the sugar quantity by around 1/2 to 1/3 to suit your liking.
23 - 28 minutes
9 x 13 pan or 2 x 9 inch pans
2 1/2 Cups or 310 g All Purpose / Plain Flour
2 1/4 Cups or 450 g Regular Sugar ***
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/3 Cup or 75 g Melted Butter
1 Cup or 235 ml Milk
- You can swap the milk for 5 Tablespoons Dry Milk Powder plus 1 Cup or 235 ml Water
- You can also reduce the sugar by half if you wish for a less sweet cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan or 2 round 9 inch pans. Use our terrific pan release!
2. In a bowl, sieve the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the sugar.
3. Lightly beat the eggs and add to the dry ingredients. Add the milk and melted butter and mix until combined.
4. Pour cake batter into pans and bake for 23 to 28 minutes.
Check if a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
5. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 2 1/2 Cups or 310 g All Purpose / Plain Flour
- 2 1/4 Cups or 450 g Regular Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup or 75 g Melted Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup or 235 ml Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan or 2 round 9 inch pans.
- In a bowl, sieve the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the sugar.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add to the dry ingredients. Add the milk and melted butter and mix until combined.
- Pour cake batter in to pans and bake for 23 to 28 minutes. Check if a toothpick comes out clean from the centre of the cake.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 1gSugar: 45gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate