Cheddar & Ham Chowder
Libby has kindly shared another of her family recipes for us all to enjoy. This Cheddar & Ham Chowder is her mom’s original recipe, which her mom would make often. Libby tells us this :
“Mom won first place in a recipe contest with this one. An Oster combo mixer, grinder, food processor. She always made this for the deer hunters. Here is a photo of today’s in the crock pot on warm.”
Libby simply makes the soup ahead using the stove top then transfers to her Slow cooker to keep warm until ready for serving.
Recipe by Libby Myrick
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: Approx 30 minutes
2 cups boiling water
2 cups diced potatoes
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup cubed cooked ham
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
The White sauce (to thicken soup)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Chop all the vegetables, I used my Nicer Dicer to chop my veggies. Large holes for the potatoes and the small hole for the rest of them. Works great.
2. In a large pan, add the water to potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Do Not drain.
3. Make a white sauce by melting in a pan the butter, then add the flour, stirring until combined. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until it is all used and keep stirring on a gently heat until the sauce begins to thicken. Once thick, add the cheese, stir until melted and add ham.
4. Add the sauce to the un-drained veggies. Heat but do not boil. This should take around 15 – 20 minutes to heat through and thicken under a gentle heat.
5. When ready, you can serve straight away with some nice cornbread, or transfer to a crock pot and keep on a ‘warm’ setting until ready to serve.
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!