This easy chicken noodle soup is made from scratch using fresh ingredients, full of flavor. Noodles, chicken, potatoes, carrots and celery cooked in a tasty broth.
Chicken noodle soup can be such a comforting meal. Often it's made when you don't feel so well, perhaps if you have a cold. For some reason, it seems to make you feel better. I think it must just be the comforting aspect of having a nice homemade chicken soup to eat. I can't see there is any scientific medical reason for it to make you feel better so it must be a psychological thing!
For this recipe, we've made it super easy to make your own chicken noodle soup from scratch. We've used fresh ingredients, and we've also packed loads of flavor into the broth by adding the chicken bones.
The addition of carrots and celery add extra sweetness to the soup, in addition to the extra vitamins, and what you end up with is a clear broth soup, with fresh vegetables, chicken, and pasta. What could be more delicious and comforting!
We've also added some dried herbs, of course, feel free to add fresh herbs if you have them to hand.
The addition of cumin adds a very gentle hint of spice. It isn't hot and spicy, however, be sure not to go overboard with the seasonings as that will overtake the gentle flavors from the chicken broth itself. you just want a hint of seasonings, so taste as you add the seasonings.
This delicious recipe has been generously shared by one of our Lovefoodies supporters, Nicky Mercer
Nicky is always busy cooking and loves exploring new flavors and recipes.
Recipe by Nicky Mercer
30 - 60 minutes. You can keep this soup gently simmering for a while.
Use as much ingredients as you like.
Ingredients you'll need
- Potatoes, cubed.
- Carrots chopped.
- Celery, chopped
- Chicken pieces (I used 3 leg and thigh portions) - You can also use leftover cooked chicken
- Soup noodles.
- Savory seasoning
- Chicken Broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Please note, you can thicken this soup and make it into a more stew like consistency if you prefer, by adding cornstarch / flour and water until your desired thickness.
1. Boil chicken in a pot with the chicken broth. Remove the chicken when cooked, keeping the broth in the pan.
When cooled, remove meat from bones and put bones back into the water and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes to extract more flavor.
2. Chop potatoes, celery and carrots.
3. Remove bones and excess grease from water.
4. Add chicken, potatoes, celery, carrots, savory, cumin, thyme, and noodles, to the broth and heat until it begins to boil. Once it reaches boiling, it's ready!
Do NOT overseason with cumin or thyme. It WON’T taste good at all. Trust me!
- 6 med sized potatoes, cubed.
- 4 med carrots chopped.
- 1 stick celery
- 3 pieces quarter chicken, I used 3 leg and thigh portions
- 2 cups or 280 g of your preferred soup noodles.
- 1 Tablespoon Savoury seasoning
- Pinch of Thyme
- Pinch of Cumin
- Chicken OXO powder, or bouillon cubes.
- ½ tsp of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 -4 pints or 2 litres chicken broth
- Boil chicken in a pot with the chicken broth. Remove the chicken when cooked, keeping the broth in the pan.
- When cooled, remove meat from bones and put bones back into the water and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes to extract more flavor.
- Chop potatoes, celery and carrots.
- Remove bones and excess grease from water.
- Add chicken, potatoes, celery, carrots, savory, cumin, thyme, and noodles, to the broth and heat until it begins to boil. Once it reaches boiling, it's ready!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 1231mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate