This delicious recipe has been generously shared by our Lovefoodie friend Sally.
Sally's always cooking up a tasty storm in her kitchen and her Coconut Shrimp Soup is no exception!
The soup is jam packed with great flavours.
"This has to be one of the most elegant soups I’ve ever eaten. It’s light but has the most savory aroma that makes you want to go home and cook this. I’d like to give credit to the restaurant that inspired this recipe and if you’re ever in Birmingham, ALABAMA – you have to try Surin’s Coconut Shrimp Soup."
Recipe by Sally Hall
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr
Yield: 2 - 4 Persons
1 pound small frozen Shrimp
1 cup thinly sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms (any type of fresh will also do)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons minced Ginger
3 Tablespoons minced Lemongrass
6 toes minced Garlic
2-3 Tablespoons Chicken Broth
4 cups Water
3 Tablespoons Sugar
3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
2 cans (14 ounce) Coconut Milk
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons Thai Red Curry Paste
1 Tablespoon dried Cilantro Leaves
1. Heat butter and olive oil in large pan over medium heat, adding the garlic, ginger, red curry paste and lemongrass. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add the condensed chicken stock and water, sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and simmer for 30+ minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the coconut milk, mushrooms, shrimp and cilantro leaves and simmer another 20-30 minutes.
The taste really comes together in the last 15+ minutes. I actually dropped the shrimp in still frozen and they were not overcooked. Serve Hot, warm or semi-cool – seems to have an elegant taste no matter the temperature.
- 1 pound small frozen Shrimp
- 1 cup thinly sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms any type of fresh will also do
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons minced Ginger
- 3 Tablespoons minced Lemongrass
- 6 toes minced Garlic
- 2-3 Tablespoons Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Water
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 ounce cans Coconut Milk 14
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 Tablespoon dried Cilantro Leaves
Heat butter and olive oil in large pan over medium heat, adding the garlic, ginger, red curry paste and lemongrass. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
Add the condensed chicken stock and water, sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and simmer for 30+ minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the coconut milk, mushrooms, shrimp and cilantro leaves and simmer another 20-30 minutes.