Easy Banana Pudding, made up of creamy layers of vanilla pudding, freshly sliced bananas, vanilla wafers cool whip and cream cheese. A great trifle type dessert.
Banana pudding is a lovely dessert, and for this recipe, we've given you a lite option and also a full fat option.
This creamy dessert is a great one to make if you need to make the night before, perhaps you want to make this as part of your Thanksgiving dessert table, or perhaps for a party, you can save time by making it the night before and popping it in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
Banana pudding is always a family favorite and always goes fast at any party, so this recipe does make a large bowl, roughly 6 - 8 servings. If you're catering for more people, double up the recipe!
This banana pudding is like a trifle, in that we have layers of a lovely creamy vanilla pudding mixture, layers of vanilla wafers, and graham crackers, which add to a little texture and crunch, and of course freshly sliced bananas.
You could jazz this dessert up a bit and add a sprinkling of grated darl or white chocolate on the top, or add a few different fruits too. Feel free to adapt the recipe to suit.
This delicious recipe has been generously shared by our Lovefoodie friend Sally.
It's a super flexible recipe that you can keep 'lite' or swap some of the ingredients for a not-so-lite pudding.
It's Sally's mom's recipe from way back, so without further ado, here's Sally and her recipe!
Recipe by Sally Hall
6 - 8 Persons
Ingredients you will need
- sugar-free instant vanilla pudding. We have a great homemade recipe for vanilla pudding if you'd like to make your own.
- skimmed milk
- lite or fat free cream cheese
- fat free or lite cool whip (UK nearest equivalent would be double or whipping cream, approx 450 ml & add 2 tsp icing sugar)
- fat free or lite sweetened condensed milk
- vanilla wafers (UK - Sponge fingers)
- graham crackers (UK - Digestive biscuits)
- sliced bananas
This recipe uses all low calorie, fat-free or sugar-free without compromising the taste, but it can be made using regular items as well, i.e. regular box of vanilla pudding, whole milk or 2%, regular cream cheese, regular Cool Whip, regular condensed milk; or any combination.
1. Mix pudding as directed on box, set aside.
Crush the vanilla wafers and graham crackers in a ziplock bag.
2. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer blend the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. (room temp cream cheese, blends up the smoothest.)
3. Add the pudding to the above mixture.
4. Add cool whip to the above mixture. this is now your pudding mixture.
Works fastest if you have 3 containers to work from (pudding, crushed vanilla wafers/graham crackers and sliced bananas)
5. Layer into a large glass bowl starting with pudding, bananas then vanilla wafers/graham crackers - repeat several times, ending with the pudding, and sprinkle a few vanilla crumbs on top.
Alternatively, you can use small glasses if you prefer to have ready made portions.
Makes a very large dessert. ENJOY.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 1 family size sugar-free instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups or 700 ml skimmed milk
- 8 ounce or 225g package lite or fat free cream cheese
- 16 ounce container fat free or lite cool whip
- 1 can fat free or lite sweetened condensed milk
- 1 in package or box vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1 in package or box graham crackers, crushed
- 6 ripe sliced bananas
- Mix pudding as directed on box, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer blend the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. (room temp cream cheese, blends up the smoothest.)
- Add the pudding to the above mixture.
- Add cool whip to the above mixture. this is now your pudding mixture.
- Works fastest if you have 3 containers to work from (pudding, crushed vanilla wafers/graham crackers and sliced bananas)
- Layer into a large glass bowl starting with pudding, bananas then vanilla wafers/graham crackers - repeat several times, ending with the pudding and sprinkle a few vanilla crumbs on top.
UK equivalents to ingredients:
- Cool whip - nearest equivalent would be double or whipping cream, approx 450 ml & add 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- Vanilla wafers - Sponge fingers
- Graham Crackers - Digestive biscuits
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate