Very easy & quick to make recipe, uses fresh, canned or frozen fruits of your choice. Prep in under 15 minutes. Perfect for dessert or a party!
Anyone who knows me knows I am a bit partial to trifle.
It’s one of those desserts which is perfect for sharing, and if ever you go to a party, especially at Christmas or Thanksgiving time, there’s usually a trifle to enjoy.
It goes without saying, we have a lot of delicious trifle recipes here at Lovefoodies. I mean A LOT. All different kinds so there’s a flavor for everyone!
The traditional trifle is usually made up of various layers, normally there is cake which lines the bottom of the bowl, followed by fruit, jelly, custard, or pudding mixture, jelly, more fruit, and topped off with a generous layer of freshly whipped cream.
Trifles can make a big statement on a table. They can be elaborate, luxurious and really fancy with how you layer them.
Normally, presented in a large glass bowl so you are able to see all the beautiful layers, it’s often a show stopper.
For this recipe, we decided to offer our readers a really simple and quick trifle recipe. You know, one you can quickly put together for a simple family dessert.
So it’s not made from scratch but uses pantry ingredients, and fruits which you may have in your freezer or canned fruits in your pantry.
You can also use fresh fruits. This trifle is to help you when you’re busy and short for time. It’s incredibly easy to put together.
If you do have time, you can always make the cake layer from scratch. We suggest using our lemon or orange pound cake recipe which you can slice into cubes to line the bottom of the trifle bowl.
However, this is all about speed and convenience so you can simply buy the ready-made ingredients and follow the simple instructions below.
This delicious recipe has been generously shared by one of our great cooks, Shar.
Shar is always busy, cooking up a storm in her kitchen! There really is no end to her creativity and list of homegrown recipes.
This Easy Fruit Trifle recipe Shar has so kindly shared with us is a real family favorite.
So let’s see how Shar makes this tasty dish.
Here’s a little about our foodie friend Shar:
“I grew up in a rural area in Northeast Saskatchewan . I’ve always had a passion for cooking. At the very young age of four years old I recall making fried potatoes for my dad, heat too high, centres raw, but I tried.
At eight years old I began to try making pies. I am a mother of seven, grandmother of two adorable children. I now live in Cold Lake, Alberta. I love to cook & bake for my family, friends and neighbours”
Recipe by Shar Joy Burlaka
⏲️ Prep time
⏲️ Baking time
1 hour chill time (optional)
👪 Serving size
4 – 6 persons
1 box marble or golden cake or a store bought loaf cake
1 pkg instant chocolate, vanilla or banana pudding mix
2 cups / 470 ml milk (for the pudding mix)
2 cups / 500 ml whipped cream or nutriwhip
1-2 tsp vanilla, rum or maple flavouring
Sugar to taste, if using whipping cream. Nutriwhip is already sweetened, so doesn’t require additional sugar
Fresh, frozen or canned fruit/berries
1. Prepare cake mix as per pkg instructions, let cool completely, or use store-bought, unfrosted cake .
2. Beat whipping cream with flavoring and sugar until stiff peaks form.
3. Mix the pudding following the package directions.
4. Cut cake into cubes, place 1/2 the cake cubes into the bottom of a large serving bowl, or into individual serving dishes.
5. Top with prepared pudding then whipped cream and berries. Repeat layers and chill in the refrigerator if you wish!
- 1 box marble or golden cake or a store bought loaf cake
- 1 pkg instant chocolate, vanilla or banana pudding mix
- 2 cups / 470 ml milk
- 2 cups / 500 ml whipped cream or nutriwhip
- 1-2 tsp vanilla, rum or maple flavouring
Sugar to taste, if using whipping cream. Nutriwhip is already sweetened, so doesn't require additional sugar
- Fresh, frozen or canned fruit/berries
- Prepare cake mix as per pkg instructions, let cool completely, or use store bought, unfrosted cake .
- Beat whipping cream with flavouring and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Mix the pudding following the pkg directions.
- Cut cake into cubes, place 1/2 the cake cubes into the bottom of a large serving bowl, or into individual serving dishes.
- Top with prepared pudding, then whipped cream and berries. Repeat layers and chill in the refrigerator if you wish!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 258mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 32gProtein: 8g