Pride of Iowa Cookies. Come and see what makes these cookies so special. Delicious coconut, black walnuts and oats make these cookies a perfect snack
Pride of Iowa cookies are certainly famous in Iowa!
Having done a little research, it would seem, given the ingredients, it becomes apparent why these would be so famous in that region.
This cookie dates back to around the 1950’s, and the use of oatmeal is because the Quaker Oats Company was situated in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and the region was heavily populated with oat fields. The use of coconut in the cookie was most likely due to the Mississippi River trade and the nuts used would have been black walnuts, which grew everywhere in the region. So that might explain why these are called the Pride of Iowa Cookies.
These cookies are certainly a delicious treat, and together with a glass of milk or a lovely cup of tea, imagine the flavor and texture you get from the coconut, chocolate or walnuts and the chewy oats inside. yummy!
Here, Libby has kindly shared her family recipe, passed down from her mother and now that you have a little history along with these cookies, please do enjoy!
Recipe by Libby Myrick
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: Approx 9 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 dozen
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup coconut
3 cups rolled oats (quick)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips
1. Cream sugars and shortening, add eggs and beat well. Add coconut, nuts, or chocolate chips and vanilla.
2. Sift and measure flour, add salt, soda and baking powder and sift again.
3. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and then add oatmeal. Mix well.
4. Roll in small balls the size of a walnut. Place on baking sheet and press down with a fork.
5. Bake at 375 F for 9 minutes or until lightly browned
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our Pride Of Iowa Cookie recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Here’s some more delicious recipes for you to try. So yummy!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut
- 3 cups rolled oats quick
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips
- Cream sugars and shortening, add eggs and beat well. Add coconut, nuts and vanilla.
- Sift and measure flour, add salt, soda and baking powder and sift again.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and then add oatmeal. Mix well.
- Roll in small balls the size of a walnut. Place on baking sheet and press down with fork.
- Bake at 375 F for 9 minutes or until lightly browned