Easy Apple Pie from Scratch. A deliciously crisp, buttery pastry pie filled with apples, sprinkled with cinnamon. Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream or ice cream.
Apple Pie! How could you not like Apple Pie! I think everyone must have tried it at some point, and to be able to make a good apple pie, with a nice crisp pastry is easy, so long as you follow the steps!
Adelenne loves Apple Pies! She often makes them, and has now become quite an expert Apple Piemaker! She's also got a great recipe for mini apple pies, perfect for freezing individually and serving at parties.
This apple pie is delicious warm from the oven, or you can serve it chilled.
So here, Adelenne has kindly shared her lovely recipe to show us how she makes her Apple Pie.
Approx 1 ½ hrs
You will need
9 inch pie dish
Recipe by Adelenne Lee
Makes 2 disks:
2 ½ cup AP flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
250 g / 1 cup butter, cold and chopped
¼-1/2 cup ice water
¼ cup All Purpose flour
8-10 Granny Smith apples
¾ cup castor sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
First make the pastry
1. Put flour, salt and sugar in food processor, add butter, pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Slowly add ¼ cup ice water. Pulse till dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed.
Do not overmix to have a flaky crust. You should see some pieces of butter still.
3. Divide dough into two portions, with dough still crumbly, wrap with 2 pieces of cling wrap or zip lock bags to form 2 balls.
Wrap tight, refrigerate till firm.
To make the pie
1. Preheat oven to 230C / 450 F / Gas 8
2. Butter a 9 inch pie plate. Roll out 1 disk and put it in the pie plate. Refrigerate.
3. Peel, core, and slice apples. To prevent browning add lemon juice. Add sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Toss together.
4. Take the pie plate out of the fridge and put apples in and dot around apples with butter.
5. Brush the rim of the plate with water.
6. Roll out the 2nd disk and cover the pie, pressing along the wet rim to seal.
7. Tuck overhanging under to form a thick rim and crimp edges with fingers or with a fork.
8. Use a floured knife to cut 5-6 slits on top of the pie to allow steam to escape when baking.
Brush the top with milk, and also any pastry decorations you've added.
You can also use any leftover pastry to cut into leaf shapes and place on top of the pie for decoration.
9. Bake for 20 mins then reduce oven to 180C /350F/ Gas 4 and continue baking for another 50-60 mins, until crust is golden and juices are bubbling.
10. If edges are brown too quickly, cover with foil. Cool completely before serving, at least 4-6 hours.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
What goes well with apple pie?
Easy Apple Pie
Easy Apple Pie from Scratch. A delicious crisp, buttery pastry pie filled with apples, sprinkled with cinnamon. Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream or ice cream.
Pie dough (Makes 2 disks):
- 2 ½ cup AP flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 250 g / 1 cup butter cold and chopped
- ¼-1/2 cup ice water
- ¼ cup All Purpose flour
- 8-10 Granny Smith apples
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Put flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor, add butter, pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add ¼ cup ice water. Pulse till dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed.
- Do not overmix to have a flaky crust. You should see some pieces of butter still.
- Divide dough into two portions, with the dough still crumbly, wrap with 2 pieces of cling wrap to form 2 balls. Wrap tight, refrigerate till firm.
- To make the pie, preheat the oven to 230C / 450 F / Gas 8
- Butter a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out 1 disk and put it on the pie plate. Refrigerate.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. To prevent browning add lemon juice. Add sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Toss together.
- Take the pie plate out of the fridge and put apples in and dot around apples with butter.
- Brush the rim of the plate with water.
- Roll out 2nd disk and cover pie, pressing along the wet rim to seal.
- Tuck overhanging under to form a thick rim and crimp edges with fingers or with a fork.
- Use a floured knife to cut 5-6 slits on top of the pie to allow steam to escape when baking. Brush the top with milk, and also any pastry decorations you've added.
- Bake for 20 mins then reduce oven to 180C /350F/ Gas 4 and continue baking for another 50-60 mins, until crust is golden and juices are bubbling.
- If edges are brown too quickly, cover with foil. Cool completely before serving, at least 4-6 hours.
First, make the pastry
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 721Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 301mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 7gSugar: 43gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Delicious Sweet Pie Recipes Using Pastry
Here's a selection of delicious sweet pie recipes using pastry
French Fruit Tart With Pastry Cream is a wonderful homemade sweet French pastry (Pâte Sablée) tart case, filled with silky smooth creme patissiere and then decorated with a variety of fresh fruits. A French patisserie classic dessert and a showstopper for parties!
Easy Plum Frangipane
Easy Plum Frangipane. A delicious almond cake bursting with juicy plums in a sweet pastry case. Delicious served warm or chilled for dessert or Afternoon Tea.
How To Make French Pastry (Pâte Sablée), easy step by step guide on making this sweet, buttery crisp tart shell. A classic famous sweet pastry dough recipe
Easy Mini Cherry Pies
Crispy puff pastry filled with cherry preserve, these little hand pies are quick and easy to make. Delicious served warm with ice cream for dessert or on their own as a snack
Mini Frangipane tarts are delicious almond cake filled mini tarts in a crispy puff pastry case. Delicious served warm from the oven or cooled with a blob of ice cream or fresh whipped cream!
Homemade Peach Pie. A wonderful recipe all made from scratch with a delicious crispy flaky pastry. Serve warm with some whipped cream or ice cream! Yummy!
Easy Blueberry Pie, delicious homemade blueberry pie filling in a made from scratch crisp buttery sweet pastry case. An old fashioned pie recipe sure to please!
Apple, Pear and Blueberry Pie. Delicious served warm or cold with some whipped cream, ice cream or custard! Easy recipe too!
Mom's Rhubarb and Custard Pie! This is a delicious traditional family recipe, sure to take you down memory lane! The flavor combination is wonderful. Serve warm with some ice cream or whipped cream!
Mom's Homemade Apple Pie. A wonderful old family recipe, simple ingredients, easy to make and delicious every time! Perfect for a regular family dessert, or to take to pot lucks, Thanksgiving, or anytime!
Lemon Meringue Pie. A nice easy recipe with a perfect balance of lemon with sweet meringue. Always popular at family get togethers!
Mini Homemade Pecan Pies. Delicious individual mini pies all made from scratch and super easy too!
Double Fruit Cobbler Pie! This is one good tasting and easy cobbler and pie all in one! With double layers of fruit (peaches) filling and pie crust, this dessert is always a pleaser. Serve warm with ice cream and please enjoy!
Dutch Apple Pie - Loaded with apples, raisins, cinnamon and the most delicious pastry I've ever eaten! Be sure to have a lovely cup of coffee to go with a slice of pie in true Dutch tradition!
Easy Pecan Pie, is a delicious sweet dessert, loaded with pecan nuts and a buttery toffee-like filling, in a sweet pie crust. Always popular at Thanksgiving.
Easy Vanilla Sauce.
Super easy recipe for a simple vanilla sauce, great for pouring on desserts and cakes. Serve warm or chilled. Budget friendly and uses regular pantry ingredients.
How To Make French Pastry Cream (Crème Pâtissière). Crème pâtissière, or pastry cream is a rich, creamy custard that is thickened with egg yolk and starch, often used in French pastry desserts