Mini Creamy Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies
Mini Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies with a to die for flaky buttery pie crust. Serve piping hot from the oven! So good!
Mini Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies with a to die for flaky buttery pie crust. Serve piping hot from the oven! So good! This recipe came about because of participating in our monthly 30 day Recipe Challenge with a group of other bloggers. The challenge for this month was chicken!
Well, many of you know I’m a huge fan of chicken. It is so versatile and can be used for dinners, lunches, sandwiches, at any time of the year. So I decided I would make some mini Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies using my all time favourite Stroganoff recipe. It’s a great recipe which you can make and serve as it is, or you can make up the stroganoff for this pie recipe, or indeed, if you have left over stroganoff and don’t want to serve the same dinner the following day, how about making up some lovely Mini Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies.
You can serve these piping hot from the oven, or allow to cool a little, perhaps serve as a brunch or dinner along with a side salad or in the colder weather, some creamy mashed potatoes and oven roasted vegetables.
The recipe is really convenient if you also wanted to make ahead and freeze just before baking. Simply defrost to room temperature and pop in the oven when you’re ready to serve.
So please enjoy the recipe and it’s most wonderful flaky pie crust. I do use my own recipe for the pastry. It’s easy and quick enough to make and once you have made it, I am sure you won’t use any other recipe again! So please enjoy our lovely Mini Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies!
At the end of our recipe we have a list of all the other wonderful Chicken recipes from bloggers who took part in the 30 Day Recipe Challenge so make sure you check them out too. They’re all great recipes so don’t miss out!
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 – 40 Minutes
Serves: 4 – 6 Ramekins or one 8 – 9 inch pie dish
4 Chicken thighs or 3 Chicken breasts (allow 2 chicken thighs or more per person or 1 breast)
1 Medium Onion sliced, NOT chopped
3 Cloves Garlic crushed / minced
1 Handful of mushrooms, sliced.
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
Salt & Pepper to season
1 – 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon fresh or dried parsley for garnish
For the Sauce:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups / 350 ml beef broth
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 cup / 120 ml low fat plain yogurt
1/2 glass of your favourite white wine.
Salt and ground black pepper
TIP! If you like a lot of sauce with your meal, I suggest you double up on the sauce ingredients above.
The Pie Crust:
13 oz or 375 g Homemade Flaky Pastry. See here for recipe
1 lightly beaten egg
1. Make the Flaky Pastry recipe here and chill in the refrigerator whilst you make the chicken stroganoff. This should take you no more than 10 minutes to make.
2. Slice the chicken into thin strips and prepare the ingredients for the main chicken recipe and the sauce recipe.
3. In a bowl, add the chicken, season a little with salt & pepper & the balsamic vinegar, mix it all well.
4. In a drop of olive oil, lightly fry onion (cut it in slices not chopped) on a low heat until translucent, then add the garlic and sliced mushrooms. Cook until softened, then use a slotted spoon and remove from the pan. Turn the heat up high and add the chicken. Stir it all well so it cooks evenly. This should take only a few minutes if your chicken is thinly sliced.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon, keep the juices in there and then add butter.
6. When the butter has melted, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour turns light brown, for about 2 minutes and it’s all combined.
7. Slowly stir in broth and add the white wine. Add brown sugar and bring to a gentle boil.
8. Reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in yogurt then add the lemon juice and return to simmer.
9. When the sauce has reduced, add the chicken & onions etc and stir until all warmed through and the sauce starts to bubble, then set aside.
If the cream sauce is not ‘coating thickness then add some cornstarch mixed with a drop of water until it’s the thickness you can coat the back of a spoon. Season some more if you need, and sprinkle some parsley fresh or dry. and its done!
10. Preheat your oven temperature to 200 C, 400 F. Now we roll out the pastry on a floured work surface. Roll to a few millimeters thick and take one of your ramekins and cut circles out.
11. Grease each ramekin on the inside and all around the edge with butter, then fill with the chicken stroganoff about almost full.
12. Cut thin strips of pastry to go around the edge of each ramekin like in the photo. Place a strip of pastry around the edge of each ramekin, pressing down ever so gently so the pastry clings to the edge. Brush the pastry strip with egg once it is in place. Then place each cut out disc on to the ramekin, take a fork and gently push around the edges or the ramekins to join the top pastry to the strip.
13. Take a pair of scissors and snip a cross in the centre of each pie to allow steam to escape during baking. Then brush each pie top with beaten egg. If you have any pastry left over, you can cut out some leaves or use a mini cookie cutter and make some shapes for decoration on the top. Brush those with beaten egg too!
NOTE: It is at this point you can FREEZE the pies, MINUS the beaten egg. When you want to cook them, simply bring to room temperature and brush with beaten egg and cook as the recipe below.
14. Place the ramekins on a baking tray in case of overflow, and bake for approximately 30 – 40 minutes or until the crust goes puffy and turns golden brown. And there you have our lovely Mini Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Check out all the other lovely chicken recipes below from bloggers who took part in our 30 Day Chicken Challenge.
- Mini Creamy Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies by Lovefoodies
- Slow Cooker Chicken Strogranoff by The Kitchen is My Playground
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken by Savory Experiments
- Baked Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks by Culinary Ginger
- Basil, Chicken and Hard Boiled Egg Macaroni Salad by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup by Who Needs A Cape?
- Polynesian Chicken Sandwich by Num’s the Word
- Extra Crisp Fried Chicken by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!