Creamy Chicken Stroganoff
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff is such a lovely recipe, full of flavor and incredibly quick and easy to prepare.
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff! This is one of my all time favourite dinners. It’s quick and easy to make, and just so versatile. You can have it as a weekday diner, but it is also impressive enough to serve for a dinner party.
The meal is very quick to cook, and the trick is to prepare your ingredients before hand, so have everything ready and then it’s simply a case of cooking it all in the steps below and your meal comes together right before your very eyes!
For this Creamy Chicken Stroganoff recipe, I have used chicken thigh meat. I truly believe that is the key to the great taste of this dish. Thigh meat is so much sweeter and juicier than breast meat and adds both texture and taste to a dish. You can buy thigh meat ready prepared, boneless and skinless, although I tend to prepare it myself and use the bones to make up some broth. For the sauce, the creaminess is really delicious! I have not used any cream, but instead, I use low-fat plain yoghurt. This of course reduces the calories, without any compromise of the creamy look and taste of the dish. The splash of white wine really makes a difference in flavour too, so be sure to add that!
So I hope you will really enjoy this recipe as much as I do. You can also use it for pork, beef and seafood, such as shrimp. (just replace the chicken broth for vegetable or fish broth!)
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 2 – 3 Persons
4 Chicken thighs or 3 Chicken breasts (allow 2 chicken thighs or more per person or 1 breast)
1 Medium Onion sliced, NOT chopped
3 Cloves Garlic crushed / minced
1 Handful of mushrooms, sliced.
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
Salt & Pepper to season
1 – 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon fresh or dried parsley for garnish
For the Sauce:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups / 350 ml chicken broth
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 cup / 120 ml low fat plain yogurt
1/2 glass of your favourite white wine.
Salt and ground black pepper
TIP! If you like a lot of sauce with your meal, I suggest you double up on the sauce ingredients above.
1. Slice the chicken into thin strips and prepare the ingredients for the main chicken recipe and the sauce recipe.
2. In a bowl, add the chicken, season a little with salt & pepper & the balsamic vinegar, mix it all well.
3. In a drop of olive oil, lightly fry onion (cut it in slices not chopped) on a low heat until translucent, then add the garlic and sliced mushrooms. Cook until softened, then use a slotted spoon and remove from the pan. Turn the heat up high and add the chicken. Stir it all well so it cooks evenly. This should take only a few minutes if your chicken is thinly sliced.
4. Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon, keep the juices in there and then add butter.
5. When the butter has melted, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour turns light brown, for about 2 minutes and it’s all combined.
6. Slowly stir in broth and add the white wine. Add brown sugar and bring to a gentle boil.
7. Reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in yogurt then add the lemon juice and return to simmer.
8. When the sauce has reduced, add the chicken & onions etc and stir until all warmed through and the sauce starts to bubble, then serve on pasta.
If the cream sauce is not ‘coating thickness then add some cornstarch mixed with a drop of water until it’s the thickness you can coat the back of a spoon. Season some more if you need, and sprinkle some parsley fresh or dry, and its done! There you have our Creamy Chicken Stroganoff.
Serve with pasta, rice, potatoes…whatever you fancy!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!