Sticky Sweet Chinese Chicken Wings. Be sure to make more than you need! These always go fast. A great side or main for a family dinner or party, buffet etc. You can also use the marinade and make great ribs. Perfect!
Sticky Sweet Chinese Chicken Wings. I've called this dish Chinese, although technically, it's a mixture of say Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, and possibly even Filipino! I have used a variety of ingredients for the marinade which are popular in many oriental dishes, for example, Palm Sugar, often used in Thai desserts, Chinese rice wine, Maggi, or soy sauce and so on.
The combination of these ingredients makes for a very tasty, delicious marinade, and can be used not only for Sticky Sweet Chinese Chicken Wings but works well with drumsticks, pork slices, spare ribs etc. The marinade is also robust enough for any BBQ meats you wish to marinade. Try this recipe out and let us know what you think!
These sticky sweet Chinese chicken wings are perfect for a snack, party, such as Game Day, Superbowl, birthdays, New Year parties and so on. Take some along to a potluck - we've had several of our readers tell me they made a couple of batches to take along to Church gatherings and they went down a treat!
We've also got a few other Chicken Wing recipes so be sure to check those out too. Perhaps you could make a variety for a party so your friends can mix it up a little and have a few different flavors on their plates! For example, we have some lovely Crispy Baked Wings, Zingy Lemon Butter Wings, Spicy Brown Sugared Wings, and some Oh So Good Jack Daniels Wings!
The amounts will be enough for 6-8 large chicken wings or 4-6 medium pork spare ribs. (save leftover marinade for basting if you are grilling your meat.)
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine*
1 ½ tbsp Maggi sauce (see photo) or light soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp palm sugar (liquid form) *
2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp sesame oil
Half seeded chopped chilli (optional)
A handful of fresh chopped coriander/cilantro
*if you can’t get hold of Chinese rice wine, dry sherry is a pretty close match.
* if you can’t find any palm sugar, substitute with honey
This is a really simple recipe!
1. Heat oven to 400F, 200C or gas 6.
2. Throw all the above ingredients except the coriander, into a bowl with the chicken wings and leave to marinade for 30 minutes. The best way to make sure all the meat is coated is to get stuck in with your hand...mix the wings well with all the marinade.
3. Put some foil on a baking tray (this will stop any of the palm sugar sticking directly onto your tray when it goes in the oven).
4. Lay the wings the right way up on the tray and place in the oven. Depending on the size of your wings, large ones will take about 20 minutes, or until the skin goes a crispy brown.
5. The chicken wings will be ready when they look like the photo below. Put on a plate and sprinkle some coriander over and viola! Tasty succulent sticky sweet chicken wings!
Top Tip – make more than required. Your guests will ask for more, that’s for sure.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Here I served the chicken wings with my Garlic Fried Rice. It was delicious!
And some of our yummy Chinese Spring Rolls
Sticky Sweet Chinese Chicken Wings
Sticky Sweet Chinese Chicken Wings. Be sure to make more than you need! A great side or main for a family dinner or party, buffet etc. You can also use the marinade and make great ribs. Perfect!
- 6-8 large chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine*
- 1 ½ tablespoon Maggi sauce or light soy sauce, see photo
- 1 ½ tablespoon palm sugar *, liquid form
- 2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Half seeded chopped chilli, optional
- Handful of fresh chopped coriander / cilantro
- Heat oven to 400F, 200C or gas 6.
- Throw all the above ingredients except the coriander, into a bowl with the chicken wings and leave to marinade for 30 minutes. The best way to make sure all the meat is coated is to get stuck in with your hand...mix the wings well with all the marinade.
- Put some foil on a baking tray (this will stop any of the palm sugar sticking directly onto your tray when it goes in the oven).
- Lay the wings the right way up on the tray and place in the oven. Depending on the size of your wings, large ones will take about 20 minutes, or until the skin goes a crispy brown.
- The chicken wings will be ready when they look like the photo below.(click on the photo to enlarge). Put on a plate and sprinkle some coriander over and viola! Tasty succulent sticky sweet chicken wings!
*if you can't get hold of Chinese rice wine, dry sherry is a pretty close match. * if you can't find any palm sugar, substitute with honey
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 751Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 1828mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 35g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Popular Chicken Wing Recipes
Here's a selection of our popular chicken wing recipes for you to enjoy!
These fried Buffalo Chicken Wings are full of flavor, coated in a hot sauce and served with a homemade creamy Blue Cheese Dip. Ideal for game days and parties!
Zingy Lemon Butter Chicken Wings. These are lovely chicken wings with a zingy zangy flavor. Easy recipe, baked and oh so good!
Southern Style Baked Chicken with Jerk Seasoning, marinated in homemade Jerk seasoning and oven-baked with a crispy coating for tender juicy chicken portions. Ideal for a quick and easy dinner, and makes great party food too.
Spicy Brown Sugared Chicken Wings. Deliciously baked wings, coated in brown sugar, baked onions and spices.
Oh So Good Jack Daniel's Chicken Wings are fabulous! They're easy to prepare, suitable for grilling or oven and taste out of this world with a great marinade. Always a hit at parties! |
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings, coated with delicious spices for great flavor. Easy baked recipe, better than Southern Fried Chicken! You can use the recipe for wings, tenders, drumsticks
Chicken wings is a popular choice for any occasion. I inspire with chicken wings recipe. This dish will be very delicious.This brings mouth water. I’ll must try this.
Oh man I bet these are SO good!! Great flavours goin’ on!
oh yes!!! Thanks Cindy!
Love the recipes. And actually last year were planning to have a small Mobile Food Cart. And i think i should get the rice recipe and some these wings. Thanks and Keep it COming… ;)
Hey Rocky! Thanks for your lovely comments. I am a big fan of food trucks, and I follow quite a few on Twitter! They’re always a fun bunch. You should still plan to do it, it would be amazing!
Could you create a Printer Friendly option please….unless I’ve overlooked it. Can’t wait to buy the wings for this.
I printed out 2 pages of recipe and 3 pages of nothing buy icons and blanks.
Hi Linda, I have a link for some instructions which can be found in our Notes section on Facebook, I’ll add the link here for you. This will help you with Printer friendly pages for you.And enjoy your wings! http://www.facebook.com/notes/lovefoodies/how-to-make-any-web-page-printer-friendly/251607478317206
Okay—this is a MUST DO!!!
I’m glad you like it Bonnie!
Cindy @Hun What's for Dinner?says:
Wow! These looks SO delicious! Thanks for linking up to Simple Supper Tuesday :o)
Thank you for hosting Cindy!