I’ve called this dish Chinese, although technically, it’s a mixture of say Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, and possibly even Filipino! I have used a variety of ingredients for the marinade which are popular in many oriental dishes, for example, Palm Sugar, often used in Thai desserts, Chinese rice wine, Maggi, or soy sauce and so on.
The combination of these ingredients makes for a very tasty, delicious marinade, and can be used not only for chicken wings, but works well with drumsticks, pork slices, spare ribs etc. The marinade is also robust enough for any BBQ meats you wish to marinade. Try this recipe out and let us know what you think!
The amounts will be enough for 6-8 large chicken wings or 4-6 medium pork spare ribs. (save left over marinade for basting if you are grilling your meat.)
1 tblsp chinese rice wine*
1 1/2 tblsp Maggi sauce (see photo) or light soy sauce
1 1/2 tblsp palm sugar (liquid form) *
2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp sesame oil
Half seeded chopped chilli (optional)
Handful of fresh chopped coriander / cilantro
*if you can’t get hold of Chinese rice wine, dry sherry is a pretty close match.
* if you can’t find any palm sugar, substitute with honey
This is a really simple recipe!
1. Heat oven to 400F, 200C or gas 6.
2. Throw all the above ingredients except the coriander, into a bowl with the chicken wings and leave to marinade for 30 minutes. The best way to make sure all the meat is coated is to get stuck in with your hand…mix the wings well with all the marinade.
3. Put some foil on a baking tray (this will stop any of the palm sugar sticking directly onto your tray when it goes in the oven).
4. Lay the wings the right way up on the tray and place in the oven. Depending on the size of your wings, large ones will take about 20 minutes, or until the skin goes a crispy brown.
5. The chicken wings will be ready when they look like the photo below.(click on the photo to enlarge). Put on a plate and sprinkle some coriander over and viola! Tasty succulent sticky sweet chicken wings!
Top Tip – make more than required. Your guests will ask for more, that’s for sure.
Here I served the chicken wings with my Garlic Fried Rice. It was delicious!