Frikadeller originates from Denmark, where they make these delicious meat patties, out of ground meats.You would normally have them accompanied with a sauce, and in this recipe, we have frikadeller, sauce and pasta!
Our friend, Donna has shared her recipe, and here’s what she says about it;
“This recipe was given to me many years ago by an elderly Danish lady and I’ve modified it to our liking. Hope you like it.”
Recipe from Donna Smith
Prep Time: 15 minutes & 30 minutes chill time
Cook Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Yield: 4 persons
For the frikadeller (meat patties)
1/2 lb or 225 g ground pork
1/2 lb or 225 g ground beef
1/2 cup or 70 g grated onion
3 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups or 350 ml half-and-half milk
1 egg, well beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup or 75 g butter
For the Sauce:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups or 350 ml low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 cup or 120 ml heavy cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and ground black pepper
For the Patties
1. Combine pork and beef in stand mixer bowl, add onion. Using paddle attachment, stir in flour and beat thoroughly. Stir in milk 2 tablespoons at a time, keeping mixer at stir speed to aerate mixture. You can do this by hand but it will take a little longer.
2. Combine egg, salt and pepper together and add to meat mixture. Speed 2 until fluffy. Pour into smaller container and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up.
3. Melt butter in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Using a spoon, drop meat mixture directly into skillet. Do not crowd. Fry patties for 3 minutes per side. Keep warm while making sauce.
For the Sauce:
1. Discard oil in pan and wipe clean with paper towel. Return pan to medium-high heat and add butter.
2. When foaming subsides, add flour and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is light brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Slowly whisk in broth. Add brown sugar and bring to simmer.
4. Reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in cream and return to simmer.
Add patties to sauce and simmer, turning occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and serve over egg noodles.